May
2013

Concrete Candlesticks – Lovely Twist On “Old Swedish”

I have admired Tove Adman’s candlesticks for years. They are immensely popular in Sweden and are often featured in leading design magazines.

The talented, Swedish designer Tove Adman has put her own modern twist on candlesticks from classic Swedish antique periods — Swedish Baroque (ca 1600-1715) and Rococo (1750-1775) and The Gustavian period (ca 1772 – 1810).

Here is the “real” deal:

A pair of original Swedish Baroque candlesticks

A pair of original Swedish Rococo candlesticks

A pair of original Swedish Gustavian candlesticks

And here are Tove’s interpretations:

“Swedish Style mix” – Baroque and Rococo (Tove’s first model from 1994).

Gustavian

All candlesticks are handmade in Sweden, on the beautiful island Gotland (from where the viking sheep pelts we carry in our store also come from).

I think they are absolutely fabulous and they suit this gray loving and edgy classic lady to a tee.

Happy to share that we will be carrying them in our “NEW” store (yes, I have told you I have been a busy beaver lately!), launching very soon.

(Let me know – monika@splendidavenue.com – if you are interested in reserving a candlestick or two from the first shipment. Baroque candlestick approx. $68/each. Note: The Gustavian candlestick is sold as a pair, approx. $133/set of 2).

I will be placing mine on my old, beloved secretaire. I will show you once they are “home”.

Happy Memorial weekend to my fellow American readers.

Warm hugs to you all.

Photo credit: No. 1 via Anna-Malin Helt Enkelt/Skona Hem, no. 9 via Splendid Willow.
Written by Splendid Willow in: The Best of Sweden | Tags: ,

• An exquisite “secrétaire” One to be treasured and proud of!

Happy “Memorial Day” to you!

Penelope

Splendid Willow Reply:

Hello Penelope,

Thank you for your sweet comment! Happy Memorial Day to you too!

Hugs from Seattle, Mon

Edgy classic indeed! A very fun read. Gotland, isn’t that the island where Ingmar Bergman used to live? Love so many of the pictures you are showing today.

Happy Memorial day to you Mon!

• Wow Mon, I love these!! I must have a pair for our little barn house. Love the photos too….already starting the makeover on the country house with lots of modern scandi touches and can’t wait to see what else you have in the new store!
    Hugs to you!
    Sarah

Splendid Willow Reply:

Hello lovely Sarah,

There have been a lot of requests for those candlesticks this morning!! (: The mixed-baroque style candlestick will cost about $68. And the Gustavian candlesticks will cost about $133 for a set of 2 (only sells as a set).

Let me know if you want me to reserve one/two for you.

And wait to you see the new Swedish “piece” for books! I am beyond thrilled!!! (I will send you a photo).

Will stop by your blog later today.

Hugs, Mon

• Hey Mon!

How are you doing? I love this post…

Just wanted to let you know I’m always thinking about you…. and also, Matthew loves the little mouse you gave to him. He, now can play w/ it and even brings w/ him wherever we go. :-)

Wishing you a wonderful day, my beautiful friend!!

Luciane at HomeBunch.com

• leslie says:

Beautiful candlesticks! I need to find a spot for the Gustavian pair.. and the sheep pelts are gorgeous. Glad to hear you are busy Mon! Have a nice weekend ahead. xxleslie

• Judy B says:

I have to comment on this one because I love it, taking really traditional style and doing something totally fresh and modern with it, Brilliant to take the lovely old shape and render it in concrete. The beauty of the old, but not stuffy.

This is exactly the overall feeling that inspires me. I have more traditional American-English influenced bits and pieces (Georgian not Gustavian, etc), but I am trying to it simple, mix in lots of white and neutrals, rustic texture and punches of dark contrast, casual flowers and light…in other words, the Swedish way of styling that I admire so much. So I am trying to do an American influenced version of this overall idea, I guess.

Love Sweden so much…..I have visited it twice…such a kind and lovely country. Thanks for your blog.

Splendid Willow Reply:

Hello Judy,

Thank you for stopping by and for sharing your design thoughts! Always so fun to hear from readers.

I am so glad Sweden treated you well! I love my old, home country.

Happy, long weekend.

Hugs from Seattle.

Mon

Oh my goodness what a beautiful post! I have been eyeing candlesticks for quite awhile. I’m loving these !!! Have a lovely long weekend.

• Marianne says:

Really lovely, Mon. Happy holiday weekend to you! xo

• Texas Blu Topaz says:

Happy Memorial Day, Mon!

I’ve been snooping around your website and I love what I’m seeing! You’ve got some awesomely gorgeous things. I especially love your secretaire. The finish is splendid. I don’t believe I’ve ever seen anything quite so beautiful! I was also noticing you said you have a DIY Projects button on your home page. I’ve not been able to find a page with your DIY projects on it. I’ll keep looking, but would appreciate it if your could head me in the right directions! 😉 Did you by chance finish it yourself? If so, would you mind telling me the colors you used and the process for applying them, please? Thanks so much and have a great weekend!

• hope you have enjoyed the weekend, mon.

these are gorgeous! you always manage to tug at my heart with your images that make me feel dreamy and right at home. i’m ready for sweden or seattle. even if it’s a short visit. give me july to recover from whatever whatever, and then i’m ready to see the lovely. i’ll be ordering some stuff from your shop this week–it’s overflowing with the best finds!

love.

• Laura Casey says:

So so pretty! love the candlesticks as well, thank you for showing such wonderful and pretty examples.