Aug
2012

I Am So Tufted

This blue tufted bench at the foot of our bed has been with me for 15 years, people! When I like, I like — and I stick to it (boringly long).

If you ask me what is important in a bedroom I will answer, the people (!), a high-end mattress, quality pillows, muted wall colors (for serenity) and yes a tufted bench. (An old Swedish bench would be lovely but if feels too precious with lively family members).

So why this bench? It is stable — kids and four legged friends can use it as a stepping ladder to your bed (oh no, perhaps not what you want!), cats take long morning naps on it, hubbies put on their fancy shoes from it (not me — I never have time to sit down) and if it has a timeless look (I like mine tufted and long with rounded corners plus casters) it will always work and be current. A classy piece can always be re-upholstered over and over.

Here are some other tufted benches that get my stamp of approval:

I want this as a sofa and as an ottoman. The perfect fabric.

Simple and always right.

Pretty, pretty.

I like this one too!

And this one! A different and more masculine look. I can see this in an all white bedroom with white wooden floors.

A fun touch of color.

One day I will schlep my ottoman into my dream library!

Yes, I snuck away from blog land for a few weeks. I so needed it, the kids needed it and now I am rested and ready for a fun and inspirational fall.

Hello and welcome to all new subscribers! Thank you to blog friends checking in and thank you to all of you who sent in your Home Inspiration images (see previous post).

I am off to see what I have missed in blog land!

Warm hugs.

Images: No. 1 via Splendid Willow.

Written by Splendid Willow in: My Home | Tags: ,

• Victoria Athens says:

Welcome back, Mon. I have an ottoman just like yours. I have owned my for about twenty years. It originally was upholstered in a kilim. When I moved it to my Florida home, I had it reupholstered in a lovely knock out velvet in a mossy green with a gray background. It now lives as an ottoman/coffee table in front of the sofa in my dream library.
    Have a great day.
    Best…Victoria

Splendid Willow Reply:

Ms. Victoria, I want to see pictures from YOUR home! It might just be my dream home!

Hugs to you!

Mon

• Well it is just like you to come back with a bang! Love every one. I have always loved tufting, and these are gorgeous examples.
    I am so happy that you are back, Monica.
    Have a great weekend.

• monika! welcome back. we missed you. a little refresher is always wonderful. the image of your bench is the lovliest. I have a tufted leather bench in my livingroom which serves a a coffee table. love yours! see you soon…donna

• Welcome back pretty lady!!!!! I LOVE tufting myself and your gorgeous blue velvet bench is so beautiful, cant’ believe its 15 years old! I love anything tufted, its a classic. So glad you took some time to just chill…you deserved it! Welcome back:) Missed you!

• Kathi says:

Glad to hear you had a lovely blog break, I admire all of you who have the motivation to keep going day after day writing-thank you for that-love your bench, I bought a tufted super long leather (it is even real leather for petes sake) at tjmaxx last year, it is the entire length of my king size bed,and I must say, it is one of my favorite pieces in my bedroom-the only downfall and I have had to break myself of it, is stacking folded laundry on it and not putting it away fast enough!!

• sherry says:

And….boom….she’s back! I also have an ottoman at the foot of my bed for the very reason of allowing my 4 legged friends to find a way up to snuggle with me :)

Hmmmm….I may have to recover my bench in leather…or PURPLE! franki

Splendid Willow Reply:

Ms. Franki, one of these days (= soon!) I would like to see a picture or two from YOUR home. I already know that it is lovely! Hugs, Mon.

I love it! I love them all – i just don’t have the space for one at the bottom of my bed. But if i did i would get the gray one. Welcome back :) Hugs!

• Michelle says:

Wow I have serious bench envy xx

Hello luv and welcome back!
    Loving the tufted beauties above and totally agree on their longevity!

You haven’t missed much in my blog corner. Good God I seem to have lost my blogging funk. I need some serious talking to in that front. Other wise we are well, tanned, rested and ready for Autumn. Though of course we have one more month of Summer left before we pack away our bathers and towels for the colder months ahead.
    Picked Chanterelles the other day and thought of you instantly! Also, the cherries are ripe in our garden. Heavenly harvest times here in our beloved Sweden!

Lazy hugs from afar.

xx C

Welcome back!!! I’m lovin the charcoal tufted couch!!!!!! Looking forward to all of your new fall posts.

• The leather one is great but I like yours best!

• i don’t have a tufted bench!!!

i have an ottoman ripe for tufting though–i’ll get on it stat. omg the floor lamp. the sofa, sure. but that lamp. i may have one by the end of the weekend because i know my husband will agree we can’t live without it. thank you thank you, m’am.

i miss you but i have also been unplugged–it’s called pre-blogging so i always have a surplus of posts to air when i want a break. i have been working on the living room. yes, there is actual comfy belgian inspired furniture in there now and i have some temporary tables that i “hacked” until i find perfect ones. but that floor lamp needs to be in there!

*smooches*

• Welcome back, Monika. I too love tufting. Not sure when it happened but I love to add a tufted piece to any room. My tufted fav is my leather ottoman in my den. It is my cocktail table, foot rest and extra seating all combined. What multitasking it does. I am thinking of replacing my sofa with a tufted one, maybe like this one in your post!

• Laura Lentz says:

Yes to tufting, got some but need more. But what kind of bed pillows do you use? 56 years of 2 for $30 is enough. I have finally clinched the pillowcases(percale) but what to put inside them? What works for you? Love your blog too! Thanks!

• Beautiful tufted benches…all of them…partial to the grey velvet…luscious. Happy week my dear friend. Mona

• A tufted bench is what any living room or bedroom needs just to finish it off.

• Loi Thai says:

Hey Mon – Welcome back! I thought maybe you went to Sweden. Happy to know you and the kids spent time together. Cheers, Loi

• An ottoman is one of the simplest yet practical pieces of furniture that no home can be without. The ones you picked are beautiful !

• Karena says:

Welcome back Mon; time very well spent with family as our summer finishes up here!

Adore your tufted bench; well all of them. They are so classic and always stylish!

Karena