Jul
2012

Calming Rooms & Objects

Is it this time of the year or is it me? All I long for is tranquility and serenity. I don’t want more stuff (as a matter of fact I want to get rid of half of my house), I don’t want noise. Stress has been kicked out the door (and is not allowed back in again!). All I want is easy living, peace & harmony. And to be able to sit — for real… Preferably in a striped wing-back chair.

Brown cottages and cabins have never been my cup of tea but look how lovely this wood paneled room is with all white slip covered seating. I would be phenomenally content here.

I find a collection of Staffordshire ironstone and American stoneware calming.

And from now on I think that my kids can sit on simple, old milk chairs! (Admit that you will look for some at your nearest antiques fair!).

Happy 4th to all my American friends!

You will find me at a party — seated — and with my shoes kicked off!

Images: No. 1 via Note to Sarah, 2,4 and 5 scanned via Country Living July/August 2012, no. 3 scanned via House & Home July 2012.
Written by Splendid Willow in: Lovely Rooms,White rooms | Tags:

Happy 4th darling – have a wonderful day and give the kids a hug from us!

xx Charlotta xx

P.S. Milk crates – yes please!!

I wish you a wonderful 4th my friend!A beautiful day without stress!
    I loooooooooooooovvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvveeeeeeeeeeeeee the striped wing chair and the white rack for pottery!!You have a wonderful taste Mon!!

• That first picture totally relaxes me and sends me to a wonderful place….what is it about cabins and lakes? I so agree with your first paragraph….I really want to be in a calm and relaxed state of mind….goodbye chaos and hectic schedules. Wishing all of us a relaxed summer from here on in…enjoy your party!
    PS And a big fat yes to that gorgeous striped wingback chair….love it!!

• Monika,
    Thanks, I needed that! I’m ready for some calm, serene ‘down time’ and the 4th should provide it. Enjoy your holiday.
    Karen

• I am doing the same, Monica!
    These rooms are amazing, and I love all of the white too, but y’all enjoy the room, because I will be sitting by the water. Such a tranquil image. My Off and me, all alone to enjoy the crickets.
    Beautiful post, sweet friend.
    I hope that you have a fabulous 4th.

• Alice says:

I want to be sitting at the first photo with you sipping a lovely cocktail. Wouldn’t that be lovely?

Splendid Willow Reply:

Yes Ms. Alice! Cheers to that! (: Mon

• I’m so smiling at what you want Mon and I think it’s called age…;) I hit a certain point in my life and that’s all I wanted CALM and to declutter our home. I have a milking chair up in a bathrooom holding extra towels and a bowl full of bath items. I just love these images!

Enjoy your Fourth!
    XX
    Debra~

• i don’t know anything about milk chairs, mon and debra! thank goodness i have you guys to show me what i can’t live without!

i’m so glad you are welcoming all the calm into chez splendid, and i wish you long long days of dreaming and absorbing love and sunshine with those you love most. if i could, i would be barefootin it over to do the same.

love to you and keep the inspiration coming.

• Those milk chairs are so cool – I would love to use those in a child’s room – how great would that be??!!! I am still working on plans for our dining room but adding two upholstered chairs is starting to be a must in the plans. That looks so great (and yes, definitely calming) in that room! Hope to get together soon – I’m ready for a night whenever you (and Marianne) are ready! :)

Oh I just love these images !!! They definitely put me in a happy place. Lovin all the shelves!!!

• I love the little milk stools! I actually saw a couple at an antiques auction recently and was debating whether to get them for my kiddo, ha! Your whole post is beautiful, I am all about the simpler life, even more so now I’m getting ready to welcome a little baby into the world. :)

A very very happy 4th of July to you and yours, sweet friend!

(Pinging you an email in a bit!)

Love love love,
    Meera xx

• Stacey says:

I so hear you! I think it’s the time of year for me, since kids are out of school and I sort of just want to decompress and simplify life before the chaos starts all over again.
    Happy 4th of July to you!

• All I have to say is a big DITTO! That photo of the adirondack chairs on by the lake is just what I visualize when I meditate. The mild stools are just too charming. They take me back to my grandparent’s farm where they really did milk their cows. How lovely. Thank Monika

• Fashion-isha says:

That first image is amazing! Happy Fourth of July!
    Sharon

HAVE A BLAST!!!! franki

• I adore those open shelves with those beautiful bowls! hope you have a fabulous weekend, darling!

caroline @ patagonia gifts and jewelry

• Stacey says:

in love! especially with that last image! hope you had a fab 4th and are enjoying your Summer! xx

Det är kanske både och ?? Hur som helst är det vackert, inspirerande och i min stil.

Hoppas att du får det du önskar i sommar !

Kram

• Marianne says:

Hope you had a fabulous 4th and enjoyed some much needed R&R! I’m back from the beach, so let’s catch up next week! xo

• I’m with you…I would like to get rid of everything I own…probably not happening though,,,serenity, that sounds so wonderful!

• Hello Mon!!!
    The start of a new week….and hopefully one filled with serenity and peace. I couldn’t agree more with you. Last week, I was seeking quiet and calm. Nothing too exciting. I have a pair of Andironack chairs similar to the ones in that first photo (except mine are white) and I love nothing more than to take a book or a magazine and spend time relaxing there.

And, I’ve scheduled my 3rd donation pick up of the summer for this Friday. I L.O.V.E. giving things away!!!
    xoxo Elizabeth

• Sherry Hart says:

I pinned that same picture with the wing chairs….I’m ready to cover everything in brown ticking…..here comes the dog…I’ll start with him!

• I love these great photos – you’re right – very peaceful and calming.. what we all need to reduce the stress. Glad you’re on to it, named it and made us aware.
    Thanks

• I can’t stop looking at that spread from Country Living. It makes me wish I painted my floors instead of refinishing them.