Jun
2012

6 Things I Go Nuts For

I am counting the days till this household is breathing normally again. Talk about T.E.M.P.O over here (or insanity). Kids’ last day is school in on Monday (of all days). Oh boy will I be celebrating with them!

But I took an hour off today in the sun and caught up on some magazine reading. Here are some things I immediately ear marked.

1. Book wall paper

You might recall this Andrew Martin wallpaper that I hung (yes, myself – mighty proud!) in my home office. Still like it a lot.

I have now came across this white beauty by Y & B. First time I see all white books on wallpaper. Very pretty and soothing. But how many wallpapers with books can a gal have?

2. An old b/w photo enlarged on canvas

Yes, we have seen zillions of kids and wedding images enlarged on big canvases but I am very tempted to enlarge a b/w picture of my parents in their younger days together. (My Dad passed away when  I was 14).

3. Worn shutters

I don’t have any old ones at home, and that is a shame. They can be used for so many decoration purposes and they can add a good backdrop for most vignettes. Don’t forget to snap some up if you come across nice ones with good patina at a local auction or flea market! Send me a picture if you do! (Or if you use some today as part of your home decor).

4. DIY lamp

My two girls are begging for separate bedrooms (they have been sharing a room for the last 6 years). I have finally caved in and we will give them separate rooms and create their personal spaces over the summer. I came across this DIY project and immediately pinned it. How pretty is this for a gir’ls room? The creative lady behind this lamp went to work with layers of paper flowers, butterflies and a glue gun! Add a sparkly branch and you will have one pretty and personal rice lamp. MUST TRY. (Learn more here).

5. One Day Design

I am happy to announce that my close friend/sis Marianne is (now also) offering a terrific One Day Design package for Seattle’ites (and those from nearby communities). She will help you with any of your interior design needs — and it will be money well spent. She is so talented. Go here to see what she offers. And say hi from me if you contact her!

6.  Blue tufted headboard

I thought I was going neutral linen for the headboard in our “new” master bedroom but then I stare at this pretty blue and start questioning my own design thinking. Doesn’t this color add so much happiness to a room? A soothing bedroom is a must but soothing does not necessarily mean neutral. I find this color soothing and happy! (Still going with whitewashed hardwood floors though).

Ok, off to climb back on the hamster wheel…  Next time you hear from me I will be much calmer and back to my social myself.

Hugs to everyone.

Images: 1 + 2 via Splendid Willow, 3-5 & 10 scanned via Living Etc. – June 2012,  no. 6 via Glue Arts, no. 7+8 via Marianne Simon Design.

Written by Splendid Willow in: I Go Nuts For | Tags: ,

Just “ah maze ing” selections!!! That hanging lamp is so…INGENIUS!!! franki

Splendid Willow Reply:

Franki, you are one happy and fun lady! Hugs, Mon.

• Love everything you are loving…….we gave an enlarged black and white pictures stretched on canvas to a good friend for her birthday about 2 years ago of her family for her 45th birthday and she STILL after a few years cannot stop talking about it, its a very special peice of art and best thing is no one else will have it!!
    The book wallpaper also a big love. Marianne is so talented and I love that shes doing the one day design, its a great opportunity for someone to use her wonderful talent for instant gratification. Good luck getting through these last few days of school….I know how hectic it can be, Mon!

• This headboard has me swooning, Monika!! I love every single thing you chose as always. I am on a mission to find some shutters myself, and the black and white blowup is genius!
    Happy Thursday, sweet lady.

• your bookwall paper is still the best of them, monika! donna

• Oh, everything on here is so beautiful! I’m also excited about seeing Marianne’s work as well! Have a great Thursday!

• I agree with you, that blue headboard IS soothing & adds happiness to the room. I also am a fan of the vintage shutters, but have a hard time finding them anywhere!

For my future house, I’m totally blowing up my parents wedding picture a big canvas! I actually think this is a revolutionary idea (maybe just goes to show how not in the know I am!).

• I am also on the hunt for some old shutters – on my “fun list” for the summer is to start scouring some markets here, but have yet to get to it with all of our visitors. Soon… And yes, very excited for Marianne – I’m sure it’s going to be a huge hit. :)

Love the white bookshelf wallpaper. Can’t wait to see the girls’ seperate bedrooms and the white floors in yours :).

• Monika,
    Years ago I helped a friend wallpaper with a Brunswick and Fils book wallpaper…loved it. These are an updated version of same. How fun.
    I wish I could find some antique-looking shutters for display, they really do add so much to a vignette. I love the blue button/tuck headboard.
    Hope the week slows a bit for you.
    Karen

• Kimberly says:

Hi Monika,

It looks like you are going to have a fantastic and busy summer! I just finished reading your blog and think that is great about the girls’ rooms. I can’t wait to see them! Are you changing the guest room into a bedroom for one of them? That is also exciting about your room. I know you have wanted to do it for a while and am happy that you will have the room of your dreams. With or without blue, I am sure it will be gorgeous. I can’t wait to see the floors especially: Ross will be drooling! :)

Kimberly

• Marianne says:

Thank you friend for including me today! What an honor. I appreciate it more than you know! xoxo

• Monika, I absolutely love the embellished Japanese lantern. What a great idea. It really is beautiful and creative. It reminds me of something I might see at Anthropology. They have the greatest embellished lampshades.
    Love the bookcase wallpaper too. I used it in a powderroom and also in a den/card room many years ago and I am thrilled to see these newer version.
    I also went to Mariannes website. She is great. Thanks for the indroduction.

• designchic says:

Where to start…love the book wallpaper – yours as well as the white books and the diy light is genius…can’t wait to see what you do for your girls’ rooms!!

• Melinda says:

Great blog, hang in there girl. Hot in VA.

Love,

Melinda

• oh so many beautiful things you have included! that light is fabulous, and perfect for a girl’s room–lucky! i always thought i would have girls and still cannot believe i don’t so i am going to go gaga if i have granddaughters.

now catch your breath. who cares if you’re too busy for blog blahblahblah but do enjoy the season. i am gonna try to call you now,
    and no problem if you didn’t get a shower. ha!

Ja, mycket var det att inspireras av :) Du har en blogg som ger så mycket.

Jag önskar dig en fin Midsommar ! (Om ni firar det ? )

Kramar

That is crazy wall paper!! Love it!!! I love that paper lantern too with the blooms on the side …… makes me smile

• Mia says:

Lovely selection :) Hope you and family are fine!

Vi ska till Frankrike i början på Juli, annars inga stora planer. Kommer ni till Sverige?!

Stor kram!

• I have dreams of a blue upholstered bed, and THAT blue is so so beautiful, I think it has replaced all other blues I had in mind.

Love that vintage wedding photo on canvas too!

Lovely inspiration, lovely lady!

Meera xx

• Sherry Hart says:

Both of those wallpapers are to die!! And you are correct to say that Marianne is talented..amen sister!