May
2012

Some New, Personal Art Pieces

Hi, I am back after a spontaneous break from blog land. Too many things going on and too few hours in the day. I needed a week to just catch up with life and to get the smile back on my face! (We also hopped over to beautiful Vancouver Island, Canada, for some family quality time).

A few new personal art pieces moved in with us last week. One has to do with my own life attitude.

I think I am a pretty happy person at heart. I don’t dwell on a lot of stuff but just like everyone else I have my ups and downs. For a few years now I have been coming up with my very own mechanism for dealing with stress and frustrations and negative energy in general.

Down by the lake where we live is a wonderful walking path. I often go for walks or runs there. I have come up with this idea that I can spew and mutter and grind my teeth or whatever I need to do for half the distance.

Exactly mid-way through the walk/run I am greeted by this row of red reflectors on wood poles. There is also a white pole in the middle of the trail. Already from a distance I start preparing myself for a mind switch (if and when needed).

My ritual is to touch the white pole and to let go of anything negative in my head. This is my very own personal garbage disposal for negative thinking. Imagine that!

This is also where I turn around and head back home and nothing bad gets to come with me! That is a commitment I make every single time. And it works! I always return home happy, content and upbeat. (Ask my hubby!).

I am not an artist by any means but I had a strong desire to capture this life attitude, if you will, so I painted this little piece as a reminder to myself and my kids to put a time limit on how long you harbor negativity in your mind and body.

Nothing fancy but you can see red reflectors and the wooden poles (the frame itself). Simple/dumb perhaps but important to me.

And isn’t that what art should be? Meaningful.

Also meaningful and lovely is this art piece (below the old miniature portrait) that came to me as a mother’s gift from a lovely Mama and close friend – the beautiful Michele. She knows I love black and white artwork and this one fits right into my home. It almost looks like I had it special ordered! No taking this one down. It is a forever piece.

Last week my 10 year old daughter sat by the kitchen table and I asked me what she should paint. “Why don’t you do something in black and white”, I said. While I was cooking she whipped up these two paintings which I absolutely ADORE! (Especially the dog).  Also forever pieces. Will be placed in white frames.

So there. Some new, simple but personal and meaningful art pieces. Anything new on your walls?

Now I am off to see what I have missed in blog land.

Happy new week to you all!

Images: No. 1 via A Vintage Poster. All other images via Splendid Willow
Written by Splendid Willow in: My Home |

• tinajo says:

Lovely art – I love it! Yes, I just made stamp art that I really liked. It´s fun with home made stuff! :-)

Have a great day! :-)

• Beautiful post! Thx for sharing! Love from Sweden

• Annika says:

Love, love, love your thinking! :) Sooooo right you are.
    Brings back memories when I see the pics.
    Been right there with you. Miss it at lot!

Hugs & kisses from a warm & sunny Lidingö.

Splendid Willow Reply:

Yes, good memories Ms. Annika! (:

Fortfarande oklart naer och om vi kommer… Mycket haender just nu. Det blir nog en sista minuten resa foer mig och barnen. Och daa bor vi hos gulliga Sussi som kommer att vara paa Gotland! Kanske vi alla kan aaka och haelsa paa henne? Vore helt underbart!

Hoer av mig naer jag vet mer. Kram i rymden.

Mon

Mon,
    I enjoyed your story of how to deal with stress and negativity!! This is a really good way to handle this! I do have a sort of ritual as you!I fully understand your feelings!
    It is so good to paint the reflectors and to hang this painting at your home! You brought in all thins positive with it! Love this idea!
    And oh my goodness, you are so creative! Well done! Love your painting, as will as the one you received from Michele as the drawings of your sweet daughter!
    Have a wonderful week with positive thoughts, my dear Mon!

• This post was just what I needed to read this morning–really! I love your painting and all that it signifies. I have a favorite walk along the quay here in Arles with my dog Ben and do often try to shift my attitude on the way back. Now I will look for a “garbage disposal” point to make it official–thank you!

I also love the other paintings as well–I think that you could scan your daughter’s dog painting and sell it as note cards. :)

• Mon…that is amazing! I love how you used the markers on the road as your emotional compass and hourglass! Smart cookie that you are. I can do things like that on occasion too and how liberating is it to “let things go”. I like that you don’t allow any negative feelings to return home with you.
    I thought your art was brilliant! Clever, hey you might be starting a new trend!
    You are surrounded by talent….lovely and generous Michele and then your daughters own beautiful art…all gorgeous. Hope that smile is back on your face and you are well rested! Wish I was seeing you this week….maybe June?

• I love this post as I too like to let everything go while out on my hikes with our Dylan dog. I love that you captured in art how you like to let things go. The painting Michele did is wonderful I love her work. Glad to see you back and enjoy the rest of your week!

XX
    Debra~

I’m in a “slump”….and it’s pouring rain….no reflectors for me. Maybe a rainbow. franki

• oh mon, this post is so full of wisdom and art. the art of letting go, yes? i do a lot of walking too and being in nature always sets things straight. i also adopted a 48 hr rule about 4 years ago. i can obsess about a partiular thing for only 48 hrs. then let it go, no returning. it works too!

your daughter’s paintings are L.O.V.E.L.Y.

i am so honored you placed mine on the wall too.

so much beauty here this morning, and now i shall go DANCE!

• What an inspirational AND beautiful post Mon! I have been trying out various routes around our house and when I figure out which route I want for my regular loop I am definitely going to try this – what a great way to release the negative energy, but also symbolize where to transition to positive energy! I love it, and all of the art is amazing in its own way…beautiful!

Splendid Willow Reply:

Hi Ms. Barbarba,

And come for a walk/run with me!

So lovely meeting you last week. You are a gem my friend!

Mon

• designchic says:

Love the way you handle negativity and the new artwork is the perfect reminder for the whole family!! Absolutely adore the black and white art your daughter did…can’t wait to see them framed! Happy Monday…

• Marcia says:

You are one wise woman. Many friends have paid therapists thousands and have yet to come up with such a concrete, simple, enriching life exercise. Thank you for the terrific start to this week!

• Nancy says:

You are an artist and a life coach.
    Thank you for sharing both.
    xNancy.

• Melinda says:

Great Blog, everything in it is wonderful. Your daughter has sweet talent.

You could probably sell your positive energy piece to every one. It is classic.

Melinda

Splendid Willow Reply:

Melinda,

How lovely to see you here! Happy Monday!

Mon

LOVE IT!! LOVE IT!! I have to go to Vancouver Island. . .

You are so creative!

• Kicki Ek says:

Hello dear Monika!
    What a great idea for a fresh start!
    Happy new week to you!//Kicki

• i just took another peek at your post after first viewing it on my phone. holy cow, i love your art work, mon! it is fantastic.

i am so blessed to call you friend.

• Loi Thai says:

Hi Monica – I love this post. Truly!! Thank you for sharing your wisdom and secret to handling stress / frustration. Living in the DC, life can get a little crazy….and yes, lots of negative energy all around. What relaxes me is a day in the garden: weeding, watering, and just chilling out. I love your daughter’s art: so cool and graphic! You should frame it :-) I just added you to my blog list. Thank you for reaching out….I really appreciate your friendship!!
    Hugs,
    Loi

• Loi Thai says:

Oooops, sorry I spelled your name wrong, Monika! I’m blaming spell check :-) No, it was actually me. Talk soon, Mon!
    Loi

I love this Monika!
    And I so must find my very own personal ‘negativity deposit spot’. There’s been a lot of stress and debris lately and I am in dire need of just this!

Your piece is wonderful – personal, heartfelt and meaningful! LOVE LOVE!

And Frida’s work is outstanding. Please tell her I am very impressed and so taken by her talent!

KRAMAR

xx sis

• Monika,
    This is a great post and a very good reminder to all of us. Of course we all have ups and downs, that’s a given, it’s how we handle them and your constructive method is a great way to deal with life’s curve balls. Thank you for sharing. Have a wonderful week.
    Karen

• Tereza says:

Hi, Monika!
    Like your white pole I have my shower – every day when I take a shower all that is negative, all that stress goes down with the water (He he! !! Good by stress!!).
    I believe with all my soul that these small strategies can save us from getting insane.
    Sometimes we have to disconnect, like you did.
    Have a light new week.
    Tereza

• Bobbi says:

This is my favorite post of yours so far :) Inspirational, meaningful, personal, creative and artistic. LOVE IT! Thanks for sharing.

Excellent idea all the way around! I’m going to steal this idea 😉
    jc

• Sweet MOnica-
    You are such an inspiration. I love your idea of returning with a new attitude.
    The painting is PERFECT!! I love it, and the piece Michele sent you is amazing. You child’s work, PRICELESS!
    Thank you for sharing this with us.
    Happy Wednesday.

• casey says:

I absolutely love your art, Mon. Touching and very well done!

• classiq says:

Never let a day go by without laughing, that’s part of my philosophy. I think your mechanism of dealing with stress is great, Monika. That’s something I should do too. :) And the new art pieces in your home are lovely. You are right, these are the meaningful things, don’t they put a smile on our face every time we see them? xo
    Ada

• I love your idea of leaving the negative behind on your walk. What a wonderful ritual, and to have parlayed it into a piece of wall art is all the better. So love the concept!

– The Tablescaper

• Sherry Hart says:

I love how you touch the white pole and let it all go! I need a ritual like that:)
    I think your daughters art is so cute…..how touching. You will cherish it for a long time.