May
2012

Swedes Love Affair With Simple Window Treatments

Swedes are light craving people (the country hardly gets any light for months at a time) so no surprise that windows in many Swedish homes have minimal window coverings. It is all about letting the light in! And since most Swedes like “simple style” you are hard pressed to find window treatments that dominate the room.

One thing (among a zillion!) that I love about Sweden is that you can go into almost any home decor store and buy ready to install blinds/Roman shades for different size windows. They come in great pure materials like cotton, silk and linen and in the best neutral colors – white, light gray, raw linen etc. And they are very affordable. Every time I go back home I want to stock up, but the dimensions of my own windows are so different.

The ones in the two pictures below are store bought. (As I am sure many of the other ones in the images I am showing).

Himla in Sweden sells nice Swedish Roman blinds such as this one.

If you are in need of darker rooms at night, these window treatments can easily be combined with simple roller shades with blackout linings.

As a contrast Swedes also love “a touch” of color with all that Swedish white though the actual design is always simple. Nothing frilly. And very rarely do you find heavy, full length curtains.

This blind with butterflies would look beautiful in my daugther’s bedroom. (A tad more colors but still soft).

If you are looking for very authentic Swedish 18th century style blinds, you can buy special kits that have all the components for these attractive blinds which allow you to recreate the same look found in Swedish castles and mansions centuries ago.

Here is a great little DIY window treatment project. Raw linen fabric (rough edges) on a simple rod with leather belts as fabric holders. I can see this in my future summer home in Sweden!

What do you think of window treatments, Swedish style? Too plain and simple or just right?

Hugs to you all! And…

Happy Mother’s Day to all beloved Mothers/Mothers in training & Daughters!

Images: No. 1 via Flex Inredning. All others via Skona Hem.

Written by Splendid Willow in: Home Goods & Accessories | Tags: ,

• Mia says:

Splendid Mon, a bunch of inspiring pics as always!
    Thanks for nice comment :)

Låter spännande. Nyfiken!!!
    Hörs, Kramar

• Victoria Athens says:

I love this look for a summer home, especially the natural linen Roman shades…very light, airy and unencumbered.
    Best…Victoria

• sherry says:

Perhaps one of my favorite window treatments! I love using a scrim to get that light and cloud like feeling especially in a bath where you need light but privacy!

• Love the window coverings. They are all perfect.

• Love the window treatments being simple and plain pretty much what we have on our home. Since we don’t really need anything on our windows where we live I just put some bamboo blinds up to dress the windows up.

XX
    Debra~

I “wondered” what to do with all my belts… franki

• just my taste! i love the wispy-ness of a simple linen shade, but then you go and add those edgy leather belts, and you’ve added sexy to the vibe.

gorgeous images, and that first one…i want to be there. that’s all.

you might like the boots in this guest post i did here today:

smiles, lovely.

Top mark from the Swedish jury!!.. of course.. :)

Just installed a blind just like this (white linen) in my bedroom.. Lifted the whole room and is perfect for Summer!

Tack för kommentaren idag. Känns som att jag inte har några blogg läsare kvar efter mitt hoppiga inläggs schema sedan vi flyttade till Sverige. Var skönt att se ditt namn där. Tack

KRAMAR

xx sis xx

I have to agree with you Swedes, I hate curtains and only like blinds such as what you have posted. It drives my crazy because my husband likes it really dark in the bedroom at night ….. I on the other hand hate it. I love to see light, especially natural light.

• If you’ve got a place with some architectural interest, this level of simplicity is perfect.

• Sweet Monica-
    I think they are perfect! Although I love long silk and linen in my more normal spaces, I am in love with Roman shades, and there are plenty of those beauties here. I really love the forth image and the butterflies!
    And the belt idea, genius!
    I hope that you are having a happy and prosperous feel, friend.

• Linda says:

I love your posting and feel the urge to live in Sweden. The pictures are beautiful! I agree with the postings above – the belt idea is geniale!

• I think they are just right. Beautiful and simple, but also leaves room for the room to change around them without having to change the window treatments – kind of like a neutral sofa – I love that! I am searching for the perfect one for my new kitchen but the prices always scare me off so I’m going to check out Himla. :)

Love love love the shades of the bedroom in image 1!!!!!! I filed it under ‘FABULOUS’!!!
    Hugs to you Mon!!!

• Monika,
    I have always liked Roman shades. My house has shutters but the roman shades in linen look so fresh and still let in some ambient light when they’re closed.
    Karen

• Hey Mon…love all these pretty examples, feel like I just went through a breath of fresh spring air. I love relaxed romans and am doing that style in a few of my rooms, so pretty, elegant and understated, not too fussy!
    Going away for a few days so will wish you now a really wonderful, peaceful and happy Mothers Day!!

• Just right, my friend! Love the simplicity of each of these. Clean, classic and beautiful.
    P.S. I’m also loving my new flip flops! Thank you for being such a great friend. xoxo

• classiq says:

I think they are just right. I love large windows and no curtains if possible (natural light is like my favourite decorating element), so these work beautifully. How original those linen blinds with leather belts as holders are. :) Have a wonderful weekend, Mon!
    Ada

• Andrea Pes says:

Very nice. Love it.

• Yes it is true, it is actually all about letting the light in!

• I adore roman blinds too. light and simple. gorgeous! hope you have a beautiful weekend, darling!

caroline @ patagonia gifts and jewelry

• Linda Merrill says:

I look at the images and I could move right into any of the rooms. Maybe I was Swedish in a former life?!

Happy Mother’s Day Monika!! Curious for an update!! In every room in our house in Sweden I have (gasp!) white, yes white curtains. Even a color freak Swede does that…!

• Carmella says:

Monica! These treatments are exactly what I have had envisioned for our new cabin! I’ve been ‘making’ them inky mind over the winter as I’ve anticipated the spring and the time to dress the windows. So fun to see that what I had pictured really exists out there and that there is culture and history behind it!! Thanks for showing these! Love them all!!

Carmella

• Love all of these fabulous spaces…warm, beautiful and comfortable…that’s what they all say to me…Happy Mother’s Day, dear friend. Hope to catch up soon. XO, Mona

• Meera says:

Do you know how much I ADORE your style, Mon? This is perfect inspiration for my Monday morning, I love Swedish style and these rooms and window blinds are so lovely!

Still on a blog break, I know it has been a while (longer than I had thought) but I am definitely going to get back to it very soon (promise), maybe in a couple of weeks.

I hope you had a lovely Mother’s Day weekend and have a very happy new week ahead!

Hugs hugs,
    Meera xx

• Great images of some simple, but pretty window coverings.

• Home Blogger says:

So many lovely styles. Choosing the right window covering is so important as it can change the whole look and feel of a room. Some great inspiration here!

• leslie says:

What a great DIY project! I am looking for Swedish Roman blinds and will pop over to check out the website!

So pretty! The white is so fresh and I love the simple, rather than fussy design.

leslie

• I’m over from Hello Lovely to tell you how much i love this blog already, and am so excited to be a new follower!
    Stacy

• paula says:

simple is always better, especially when they look like these! Hope you smothered with sweetness over the weekend. You are quite the inspiring mama.

• casey says:

I love this post! We definitely need more options for simple, classic shades like these in the US.

• For me, simple is always the solution! I love this idea! Thanks for the inspiration (and you have an amazing blog here)

• Hi Mon,

I feel sooo bad I didn’t come here before, but know I thought about you during Mother’s Day and wished you were having a great day.

How’s everything with you? I hope you’re enjoying Spring! I miss being on the West Coast at this time of the year… all the flowers, leaves, green. The leaves are STARTING to come out just now! But soon it will be beautiful and we’ll be able to enjoy the weather.

Just know that you’re very, very special to me.

Luciane at HomeBunch.com

• Elizabeth says:

Beautiful images! I love the simplicity of all of these window treatments. Personally, if I did not have to have any treatments I wouldn’t, I love to look out and see the lights and the trees!

have a great day!

• Hi Mon!
    Happy Day…I too love those Shades…Hmmm…Swedes have great taste!!
    Hugs my friend,
    Amy

• just popping in to say hello, monika and I hope you are well. thinking of you! donna

• I love this house and the simple furniture around it. Great window treatment as well.
    Nice to meet you.
    I follow!

• Amnah Shurfa says:

Hello Mon, just discovered your blog! I love Swedish style and I’ve always loved simple shades and blinds. Beautiful photos! xoxo Amnah from Malaysia

• COCOCOZY says:

I like the simple airy window treatments. No fuss no frills but still quite stylish. Perfect.

x