Apr
2012

STORE NEWS + Get Your Bicycle & Feet, Summer Ready

It is heating up. Spring is finally here (this is Seattle, folks). Summer is around the corner. Prime time to head outdoors.

In most major cities around the world, walking and public transportation are how you get around. I was fortunate to grow up in beautiful Stockholm where biking is also a big part of the city planning. There are bike lanes everywhere in the city. You bike to the office, you bike to a date with your friends, you bike from bar to bar! When you visit oh-so trendy Stockholm in the summer you will see gorgeous and fashion conscious people everywhere, proudly parading their city bikes.

The concept is harder here in the US where so many cities and towns are built for cars only, it seems. But I have a bike, and I’m dusting it off as we speak. And that is how the kids and I will get to many coffee shops, parks and libraries this season.

A functional bicycle basket is a must for most bike loving Scandinavians and I am glad to see the trend catching up here in the US too.

Orders for trendy Swedish bicycle baskets are just starting to trickle in to my shop – a good seasonal sign!

I carry 3 colors. Black, white and green. (I have the green one myself).

This is also the season to get those feet ready for public display.

Brand NEW in my store are Ilse Jacobsen’s (Danish fashion icon) rubber flip-flops. No bad & unfriendly plastic here.

These well made rubber flip-flops have a braided texture. They are cushioned and very comfortable. I’ve picked 6 muted colors for my store. They all have a touch of sparkle on the straps for some summer glam.

(As you can see from my own picture above, the sole is more substantial than the following pictures, taken with a camera from above, show. Please note that I do not carry the YELLOW color in my store).

SilverGold

Stone Blue

Rose Pink

Creme

Brown

I will only carry a limited supply. When they are gone, they are gone. The sell for $39/pair.

On their way to my store are also these Danish Princess/Prince, Bride/Groom bunnies. They are so adorable and I can’t wait to push my kids away and play with photograph them!

Fairly new in my store, but I have not mentioned them to you before, are the Cowboy and Native American mice + Tee-pee. Yes I know. Super adorable and guaranteed many hours of imaginative play for the young ones!

Find all the items in my store Splendid Willow Avenue – here.

Hugs & sunny thoughts to all of you!

Images: no. 1 via Fun Xite, no. 2-4 via Skeppshult Bikes, no. 5 via Posh24, no. 6 via Zimbio, no. 7-18 + 20 via Splendid Willow Avenue, no. 19 via Maileg.
Written by Splendid Willow in: Store News | Tags: , ,

• Hey Mon, so much goodness! Love the bicycle baskets….they are so cute and talk about making a fashion statment. This makes me want to go out and buy a bike pronto! I wish I lived in a place where like many cities, biking is a regular part of the day. Great exercise..very cute flip flops, Ilse has great style and of course the incoming “couple” is just too sweet for words. Have a great day.

I cannot wait until we get consistent sunny weather!!!! This rain keeps getting in the way of my flip flops. Just as I start breaking out my spring stuff, RAIN!!! I do look forward to getting my bike out. Hubby and I went for a bike ride for the first time this year just a few days ago. It’s quite apparent that I don’t look as cool as those girls do in the pics above. A girl can try.

• Hey I have a bike with baskets since we live in the country and it’s safe to ride to the store to grab a few things. A few miles under my belt and it’s great for your thighs. Love those flip flops now I’ll have to see if you have them in my size…HUGE. Love your mice and I hope you enjoy playing! I’m off to see if you have those comfy looking flip flops in my size.

XX
    Debra~

• Willow Decor says:

I love the baskets!! THe wonderful flip flops remind me that I desperately need a pedicure! Once again you have found wonderful items that I did not know I even needed until I saw them and had to have them!!
    xx-Gina

• I’m excited for my new flip flops!

To bike to school on a freezing day, with wind in your face and pouring rain…ahaha–do you have those memories? That was a along time ago! Now I LOVE biking, soooo wish I could take my bike somewhere around here. Very soon I will live in a place where I can bike around to do errands, and I will for sure get one of those super chic and usable bike baskets!! They are a must in Sweden!
    Feel a little bit obsessed with those mice too! They just so cute.

• knock out items, as always, monika. the flip flops are adorable and look so comfy. and the native american mice? too precious! have a great week! donna

Ahah! My husband biked to work for 33 years…rain, snow, ice AND only hit by a car and flipped over the windshield ONCE! Now, in the country, the bike does an “adopted roadside cleanup” about once a month…I’m thinking of painting it flurescent orange. franki

• Sweet Monica!
    I am in love with the flip flops, and the bunnies are too precious! If I had a bike (which I am in the market for) I would get the green or white basket. So pretty and feminine.
    Everyone rides a bike on 30-A where I spend a lot of time. I could certainly use the exercise!
    Happy Monday, friend.

• Karen says:

Monika,
    You must come to Irvine, California sometime and bring your bike…tons of bike lanes everywhere. I must confess, most of the bikers are exercising more than looking stylish and traveling from home to work or shopping. If gas continues to go up maybe more will ride for everyday transportation. The bike baskets are wonderful.
    Love the flip flops.
    Karen

WOW! All brilliant. Sunny and chic you are Ms. Splendid!

Placing an order.

JC

• I wish it was heating up around here. Just threw on my winter cashmere cardigan! So sad. Love your new merchandise for the store!!! Going to check out the flip flops. I live in them in the summer. Hope to catch up with you later this week. xoxo

• i will be shopping! oh the royal bunnies! and the fact that you sneaked in an olsen twin…pure genius. they are my favorites to watch for fashion!

my sis and i bike all the time on a path but i have never done in this in the city!

love to you and talk soon.

• I am in love with the first image. So cute!

• Minnie says:

In most major cities around the world, walking and public transportation are how you get around. I was fortunate to grow up in beautiful Stockholm where biking is also a big part of the city planning. There are bike lanes everywhere in the city. You bike to the office, you bike to a date with your friends, you bike from bar to bar! When you visit oh-so trendy Stockholm in the summer you will see gorgeous and fashion conscious people everywhere, proudly parading their city bikes.

• I really hope biking becomes more popular in the US

• Kimberly says:

Those bunnies are so cute! I want one–for me! :)

• casey says:

I’m loving the texture of those flip flops. They look like they’d give you a good foot massage just walking around!

Totally agree – a good bike and a fabulous basket are must-haves here in Sweden. Actually all over Scandinavia, with the exception perhaps of Norway. Far too hilly there! :)
    The green one is an icon here isn’t it – almost a design classic so hurry hurry to all you US girls. Be amongst the pioneers of Scandi statement style over there!

Darling, I think I am going to need a pair of brown flip flops! In size 38 pretty please if you ship to the motherland. If not I am off on a flip-flop-hunt locally – they are a total must-have for Summer!!

Puss hej

xx C

P.S. an exact replica of that black fan in, the adorable, first photo saved my life in Sydney. I had it on constantly day/nigh during Summer! :)