Apr
2012

Happy Displays & My Purple Glass Bottles

Ok, that did it. When I saw this happy flower arrangement I immediately trotted over to our great, local antiques gallery, Haystack Antiques, and picked up a few vintage purple glass bottles that I have been eyeing for a while but did not quite know what to do with.

BTW do you know how the bottles got that nice purple color? From sunlight!

“American glass manufactured between 1860 and 1915 was made with manganese (an agent that replaced lead), which imbued the glass with an interesting trait; the glass turned purple when submitted to prolonged exposure to UV rays.”

Some more white flowers will go beautifully in them, don’t you think? (Sorry, not many fun flowers in my garden yet. Spring arrived late in Seattle. But at least my trees are blooming!). I plan to get a couple more even larger, vintage bottles and mix them with bowls and vases.

Some Allium flower heads/Garlic Flowers are also a must for these bottles. You know how crazy I am for “round” things.

Speaking of happy displays. Isn’t this vignette lovely? Fresh, fun, stylish and yes – happy. I am clearly lusting for more colors! I also love the mix of a few white-blue plates with b/w art. A nice and unexpected contrast. Once again, simple flower arrangements are always right — at least in my book.

Wishing you all a happy end of the week!

Images: no. 1 + 4 via Skona Hem, no. 2 via Splendid Willow, no. 3 via Netherland Bulb, no. 4 via Depositphotos.

Written by Splendid Willow in: Flowers & Ideas for the table |

• Your purple bottles are beautiful Mon! I’m going to plant some Allium this year they’re such pretty flowers. I’m going to plant them up so they’ll come up right in the middle of white and yellow flowers. See you’ve helped me to fill a spot in my garden!

Happy Friday!
    XX
    Debra~

Congratulations on your new purchase. Sounds like a lovely way to bring nature in to the home in true Swedish fashion! :)

No Spring here today either. Sleet coming down sideways from a heavy sky.. blah. Just want to hibernate really (with some good chocolate!).

Love the vignette. Super fresh. Love the blue rug also. Yum!

Big hugs from me.

xx C

• Monika-
    This is one beautiful post, and I am happy to learn that the sun turns them purple. I will be smart!! And it is all because of my smart friend, Miss Splendid Willow.
    I am in love with the flowers too. I just love lavender and purple. Reminds me of my childhood.
    Have a happy day!

That amethyst color is just….amazing. Looking forward to seeing “what your amazing eye” will do with them…. franki

• i have never seen a purplylavender glass bottle before and they are sort of enchanting. i’ll be on the lookout next time i’m fleamarketing. i have tried all sorts of different arrangements of flowers in my windowboxes each year, but our favorite is simply a mass of deep purple. the contrast looks good against all the pale brick.

smiles to you.

• HI Monika!
    Love your purple bottles!!!!!!You know the glass from old telephone poles does the same thing….. Collectors use them the same way they look great like you assembled them with different hues of lilac and purple…….Very Pretty! Maryanne xo

Oh what lovely images to wake up to. I love that fact about early glass!!! It’s super pretty and you just reminded me that I want to plant some Alums in my garden. Have a wonderful weekend!!!

Nice composition, Monica! You have an amazing eye. You should work as a stylist.

Happy weekend!

JC

Splendid Willow Reply:

Hi JC,

I am not THAT good. But I enjoy it. Just need to get along better with my own camera. Happy weekend back!

Mon

• Alice says:

I love the vintage purple glass with white flowers. What a great look. I look forward to a visit to Haystack Antiques with you!

• Karen says:

Hi Monika,
    I love the bottles. My mother in law used to have a collection of sun-turned bottles. I believe when she passed some of the female cousins took the collection. I love unexpected and simple flower arrangements. I hear you’ve had a slow-to-come spring. Hope you get lots of sunshine this weekend.
    Karen

Ett besök här på din blogg gör mig inspirerad och glad.

Vi har en sen vår i Stockholm och jag hoppas att det snart kommer att bli lite varmare :)

Må så gott !!

Kram

• I’m a true glass bottle and vase lover, monika. love those purple ones – I have seen a few about myself and love the little lift the color gives. I can see these beauties in your house! have a great weekend…love, donna

• liza says:

I love (!) your bottles! Take more photos please as you do things with them!! Happy weekend, Monika!

• Karena says:

Mon I adore the amythist bottles, they are gorgeous. I have been looking for them; have not spotted them yet in our local antique stores

Karena
    Art by Karena

• Sherry Hart says:

Yikes….saw those the other day at a flea and now I need to o get them! I just wanna be like Monika:). Have a nice blogging break……we will be here when you get back.

• Meera says:

Very late in catching up here… sorry, just so much going on that the blog-break has to continue as I try to catch up with life and I’m falling behind on my favourite blogs! Boo.

But ooh, how I love your inspiration picture of the purple flower display and the gorgeous purple bottles you snagged! Just this spring I have planted some alliums and am eagerly watching their progress as the buds are starting to come up! They’re very exciting plants!

Lots of love to you, my sweet friend.

Hugs hugs,