Apr
2012

I Go Nuts For These Lovely Things For The Home

Just glanced through a “special issue” of House & Home (Best Decorating) and I ripped out many pages of goodness. I hope you find them as inspirational as I do!

Make your own driftwood bookends! Well of course! Just find your own beach treasure and attach it (with a screw or with Crazy Glue) to a base that you have painted. Perhaps it will bring good memories to your bookshelf.  Worth a try.

Another “beachy idea”. Put some old twine and rope in clear glass bowls and bottles for a stylish display.

LOVE this wool rug! I can see it in an all white room paired with a white sofa. Classic & timeless with a little Scandinavian folklore vibe. (Can be found here).

I lust for this photo art by the Canadian artist Joshua Jensen-Nagle. Oh my! I immediately went to his website. This piece features the St. Mark’s Square in Venice and you can only see distant dots that must be people. Love the whole composition and the colors. Works in both traditional and modern rooms. Look again – nice, right?

I have my own little miniature portrait collection going on. (Only four portraits so far, so not much to brag about – but all from the 18th c). If you want to add just a little bit of “old world” to your home that is a great way to go. (They do not take up space, they work in all kinds of rooms and there are always collectors out there on the hunt for good miniature portraits).

Before I end today I must say that I was super pleased to learn that two boots from my store, Splendid Willow Avenueare featured in the US Equestrian Federation Magazine. This is the magazine for horse owners and it will also be given to everyone visiting the prestigious three day Rolex Kentucky Equestrian event (this is a qualifying event for the Olympic Games and World Championships) later this month.

My boots were featured as a good thing to wear in style at the Derby. (Sorry for the badly cropped images).

The classy event is sponsored by Rolex.

And yes William Schatner (actor) is on the cover of the magazine and also featured inside). He is apparently a big time horse lover. (Did you ever watch him in Boston Legal? I was such a fan of the series).

Can’t say that I mind the good company!

Warm hugs to you all!

Images: no 1. via Splendid Willow, no. 2-6 scanned via House and Home (special issue Spring 2012), no. 7, 8, 10, 12 + 13 via USEF, no. 9 + 11 via Splendid Willow Avenue.

20 Comments »

• Love it all…but especially the driftwood bookends. Fabulous! I am so happy that your boots were featured but not surprised one bit, they know a great pair of boots when they see them, and I love both of the pair they featured. Well deserved press Mon! Have a great day……..

[Reply]

• Well I could certainly place a rope into a fish bowl for a decorative finish, easy to do and things we have around our home. Nice gift of boots to everyone and they’re such beautiful boots too shame I’m not a horse person….I fall off of everything. Congrats on your mention!

XX
    Debra~

[Reply]

• LOVE the rug, thanks for the link!!

[Reply]

• yay and congratulations for the shout-out, monika. so well deserved. and I’m with you on the lovely blue and white rug – such a fresh look! donna

Yummy “eye candy” and I’m “crazy” (nuts) about the red boots!!! franki

• Gunilla says:

Yihaa babe!! Great PR :-) And I soooo love Boston Legal too!

P.S. “Canadian House and Home” is my absolute favorite magazine!! franki

[Reply]

• quite the coup! so proud of you. THE boots the equestrian set will be coveting! my MIL’s passion is Arabian horses (they had many) and she would know all about the magazine.

driftwood bookends–brilliant! i love the high-low thing you have going on in this post…savvy.

food for thought: should splendid willow evolve to become a magazine, it’s possible they will need a quirky creative chicagoland freelancer/reviewer.

*shrinks away slowly in shame*

CONGRATS TO YOU, MON. AND A BIG HUG BECAUSE YOU ARE FABULOUS.

• Karen says:

I love miniature 18th century portraits. Your collection looks great on the wall (great wall color).
    Congratulations on the notice in the horse magazine. I do love the looks of those boots.

That photograph is so interesting. It almost looks like snow.
    Karen

• Hello Mon!
    I am in love with the rug and the painting! I would be lost in the painting.
    So happy for you on your media attention! Well deserved.
    Happy Tuesday.

[Reply]

Look at you Ms. Splendid! Congrats!

I will absolutely try that driftwood project. Very clever.

JC

[Reply]

• Oooooh my. New idea for my glass hurricanes! Unfortunately, our apartment walls are green and brown, and with all this wood/neautral toned stuff I’m collecting, none of it stands out. Really looking forward to white walls in the next place!! (And I need to get some rope)!

Kristina
    Nook & Sea

[Reply]

• So many great things. Love the blue and white rug.

• designchic says:

What simple and chic beachy touches…and love that your boots got a shout out…good for you!!

[Reply]

I actually am trying to make time to put all of my “ripped magazine pages” into binders. I’m old school and love to flip through all of the pictures that inspire. Some of these pages I’ve had for about 10 years!!!! There’s no way I can catagorize them all but at least I can put them all in binders. It is a big task though.

• Mon,
    Congratulations on the boot mentions!!! Very exciting!

And, love all of your beachy ideas. The rope in the round bowl is so simple and yet expresses the ying and yang of the textured and the clear. Love it!

Wishing you a wonderful week!
    xoxo Elizabeth

[Reply]

• I have a thing for bar carts…and am loving driftwood anything right now. Hope your store is still rocking and rolling. I’m about to rock and roll off the map with design work right now. Very tired and very very thankful. XO, Mona

• Mia says:

Hi splendid Mon
    Congrats to the great PR! Hope you and your family are fine. Talk soon!
    Lots of hugs
    Mia

• nkp says:

Thanks for all the wonderful inspiration. I had my pinning finger ready! ;0)
    And a big congratulations on the feature! Those boots are fabulous.

• Meera says:

Hi Mon! Firstly, congratulations on the shoutout! So happy for you!
    I love the driftwood bookends idea!
    Still very busy here, hence no blogging. Should get back to it someday… when I feel like I can find the time for it again, but wanted you to know that I do love to have a peek at your gorgeous posts when I’m having a tea break!

Hugs hugs,