Feb
2012

Shall I Try This With My Dad’s Old Stamps?

I came across this in Ethan Allen’s catalog, of all places. Antique stamp prints? Hmmm… I have a whole collection of old stamps all given to me by my Dad (who passed away when I was 14). I have one particular favorite from England (with clear marks), dated 1894. I have always loved it. (Just need to carefully remove the paper).

Some other pretty ones.

You can’t really admire these stamps to their fullest because they are so riduculously small. But now I am inspired to trot to Kinkos and have one stamp (or several) enlarged on thicker, linen paper and then framed. (I like the simple, antique silver colored frames Ethan Allen uses. But I can also envision all white frames). It has no sentimental value to anybody else but to me it comes with great, long and loving conversations with my dad.

What do you think? Too phony? (I am strong – I can take it!).

hugshugshugs.

P.S The birch pottery for my store I dragged with me all the way from Sweden was all sold out within 2 days! Who knew there would be so many birch lovers out there! Let me know if you want to pre-order. I am getting the next shipment in April. The pots are handmade and they take time to make.
Images: No. 1 Ethan Allen’s catalog. All others via Splendid Willow.
Written by Splendid Willow in: DIY |

• Hi there! If you had seen this idea somewhere else, you probably wouldn’t hesitate, right? I think it is a fabulous idea–how wonderful to have something to see daily to remind you of your Dad and the special connection you had together. Not to mention it looks great!

• sherry says:

What is not to love….something old, memorable and different. I vote yes.

• Love the idea. If enlarging the stamp on a copier doesn’t work, try taking a photograph and having it printed. Of course, you’d have to set something up where the camera was dead on center of the stamp and in really good light. Easier said than done. I’ve seen it done with old envelopes so it includes the old handwriting AND the stamp. The result is beautiful.

• What a fabulous idea!! LOVE that first image. I would take it to a good quality printer near you and see what magic they can do. Mon, think you are onto something!! Can’t wait to see what you do!

• I love the idea!! I too have a world wide collection of old stamps~I wondered if the printer won’t copy them for copyright reasons…so Steve’s idea of taking a pic and enlarging it is a great option too. So great to share when it generates all kinds of fabulousness!!

• designchic says:

Love the idea…great look and great memories…a winner in my book!!

I think it’s a fabulous idea and every time you see it, you’ll think of your dad, nothing beats that!

• i think they will look fabulous, and you have inspired me to look through my little sentimental boxes and think about elevating certain pieces in importance. love it.

• Marcia says:

Love groupings like this. I would scan instead of copy, usually better clarity, and then you can touch up digitally – adjusting sizes to coordinate with each other. I’ve done this with tiny leaves, enlarging to make botanical prints for framing.

Monika Claassen Reply:

Thank you Marcia! I will try to scan and touch up! Great advice!

Mon
    Monika Claassen recently posted..Shall I Try This With My Dad’s Old Stamps?

• Caroline says:

I think it’s a brilliant idea. I would do it in a heartbeat if I had any. Let us see your results if you do it. I’d like to do the same thing with old letters. The problem is, I don’t have any of those either. I’ve seen it done and they are fabulous also, especially if the handwriting is interesting.

• Bianca says:

I love it!

YES! And then show us so we can copy YOU! (:

JC

Great idea – i am not a stamp lover but i did collect them as a kid :) and now i just have piles of them stored away. But i am sure it will look awesome.

• This is great idea, Monica. I would love to frame a larger print and have smaller one around. The stamps that you father left you are beautiful. Have fun framing them.
    Hope that your Thursday is off to a great start.

• Ok, I am seriously tired of auto-correct! I have got to find out how to turn it off, haha.

• ann says:

not at all corny. i think it lovely and beautiful

• monika, I’m a stamp nut, so of course, I say “YES!” I love the graphic images of stamps and think they would be perfect enlarged and framed. (Your India stamp is awesome…) donna

• Karen says:

I don’t think its a phony idea at all. Especially since the history of your stamps is such a heartwarming story…try one, see how you like it. I think it could be wonderful.
    Karen

• Kendra says:

I love it! I think my dad collected stamps too as a boy. I will check with him, sounds fun and creative! Just like you…

• Kimberly says:

I think it would be a great complement to your postcards and also something meaningful to you. Go for it!

• Vickie H. says:

What wonderful personal momentos! A resounding YES! to your idea! You may be AMAZED at just how much joy you bring into your home when you do this little project. And I vote for the silver frames like EA showed! Classic!!! Can’t wait for the reveal!

• Are you kidding? Any memory of your father that you can make a beautiful part of your house……Sheesh!
    Go for it!

It is a brilliant idea……and the smartest decorators and landscape architects, and designers of all things……”copy” We all know to “copy”!

Brilliant idea….and will bring him to your heart and memory every day when you see them!

YIKES!!! Nothing phony here, at all!!!

• Mon, ohmygoodness, I kid you not, I was thinking about doing the very same thing with some of my old stamps!

Yes, do it! I love the stamp given to you by your father.

Hugs hugs,
    Meera xx

• Oh I love this idea Mon! Perfect, charming, and personal too. I would totally do it!

I hope you are doing well and that you have a relaxing weekend friend,

Nancy xo

• Fantastic idea! You should definitely not hesitate to do it. I lost my dad when I was 4, and my mother gave me a small vintage oil can of his. I have it on a shelf along with his business card, and it makes me smile every time I look at it. I’m certain those beautiful stamp images will do the same for you.
    Blessings

• Willow Decor says:

Been so busy but have enjoyed reading and catching up on all of your posts!! Love the new things for the store-of course they are wonderful as you have such a great eye!!! Hope you are well.
    xx-Gina

• What a fabulous idea…Actually I think you could sell them in your store. Seriously. XO, Mona

• Tina says:

Hej i stugan! Ja men det där måste ju vara den mest perfekta sättet att använda dina fina märken. Supersnyggt och som för tankarna till din far. Jättefin idé!!!
    Hoppas allt är väl med dig annars!
    //Kram Tina

Monika I LOVE this idea! I too have a collection or better yet, peel off the ones from very special letters. I have boxes with old letters and am a real hoarder when it comes to hand written ones.
    I am very tempted to try this one myself. Thank you so much for the tip – you are the best!

The Birch pottery. That is fantastic news and I love that you are the exclusive stockist of these super chic items. Happy shopping all!

Big hugs!
    xx C

• Kathy Wommack says:

WOW, I love it! I have an old stamp collection, and never thought of enlarging them!!

I wonder how they would look printed on vellum, or a textured paper, or a tinted paper?

Also, I have a collection of wine lables from my parents’ trips to France. I could do the same thing with them!

Old letters…wow, another great idea!! My mom saved everything so I have letter of my grandparents before they married, letters of my mom and dad during WW II, etc. Wonderful idea.

Thanks! so much for this post!

Kathy

Kathy Wommack Reply:

hmmn, maybe I should wallpaper a powder room with copies of old family letters!

so many ideas!

• Kathy Wommack says:

What I may do is cover the stamp with a paper when I scan it; gray, taupe, creamy off white. then I could crop the image, retaining the perforations. I notice now that the Ethan Allen images do not have the perfs.

I am also now wondering if I can scan old coins. I have a collection I inherited. wonder how they might turn out!?

Kathy

• Julie at BV says:

Dear Monika,

That is so you. It’s meaningful and beautiful. I love it! you should go for it.

• Yes do it. Then you can be reminded of your dad every time you pass by!