Jan
2012

I Am Floored By Natural Rugs

For some 15 years (yep, I have been around for a while) I have been a big fan of sisal and other natural fiber rugs. When I lived in my apartment in San Francisco (my first home purchase in the US — I was so proud of myself!) I had stylish light gray wall-to-wall-natural-fiber-carpeting in 3 bedrooms.

(My own humble kitchen nook).

(My good friend Brook is a big fan of natural fiber rugs. This jute rug is in her pretty sun room).

I like natural fiber rugs because they are quiet (I prefer loud things behind frames!), they handle heavy traffic well and they look good in almost all rooms. It is such a classic look. To me, natural fiber rugs (or high quality wool rugs) are the only soulmates to hardwood floors (synthetic rugs, ehhhh… not so much).

Also, I don’t like rugs where scary things can be hidden! I am hands down a low pile (ha!)/loom rug kind of gal. The only drawback to natural fiber rugs is that most of them can not be washed. Oh, well. I have learned to go with fibers and colors that are more forgiving. And I am very aware where I place the rugs.

I am happy to see that so many mainstream furnishing stores now are offering natural fiber rugs with more of a European designer look (subtle patterns). And all at very affordable prices.

Handsome diamond pattern jute rug – via. I like this one a lot.

These new fiber rugs created in India on special European jacquard looms for Crate and Barrel are beautiful. What a wonderful and unique pattern.

The natural rugs from Restoration Hardware are great, but I am hoping they soon come out with some more unique models. They are so good at that stuff.

West Elm sells this Jute Chenille Herringbone rug. Nice because it is slightly different.

Overstock has these vibrant jute rugs listed for a steal.I don’t see the natural fiber rugs dying any time soon. Interior designers continue to constantly evolve the earth-friendly look, for which I am very grateful.

Curious to hear, what kind of rugs do you like? Any specific brand?

Happy Weekend, friends!

(I will be back on Tuesday after Martin Luther King’s Day).

Images: No. 1 via DecorPad,  no. 2 via Splendid Willow, no. 3 via Houzz, no. 4 via Velvet & Linen, no. 5 unknown (sorry), no. 6 via Houzz
Written by Splendid Willow in: Home Goods & Accessories |

Really like the jute rug with the diamond pattern. Very pretty.

Happy weekend to you and your family!

JC

• designchic says:

I love them, Monika and have them in several rooms in my home…so easy to maintain, and like the first quote says, you can dress them up or down…they are definitely my little black dress!! Hope you have a fabulous weekend ~

• You know I’m a big fan. My house is only filled with seagrass rugs, which work really well for pets, espeically dogs. Love the way they look and are so easy to care for. Beautiful!

We love our wool jute rug from Potterybarn :) But i also love antique oriental rugs as you know – they are just so expensive.

• I love sisal rugs also, Monica! Love your choices here. The diamond is my favorite, but I also love the newest additions.
    Hope that you are having a great 2012.

• Peter C says:

Monika, Great post! Love these rugs. Would it be going too far to put them in the garage? 😉

pc

• Tina says:

Heej Monika!
    Ja, visst är sisalmattor underbara. Thom Felicia använder dem jämt och jag har varit biten sedan dess!!! Jag blir alltid lika häpen över hur väl de fungerar med olika inredningsstilar!
    Tack snälla för ditt fina erbjudande om de läckra puffarna från West Elm- utbudet i USA är otroligt- hade jag bott där hade jag blivit minst sagt överväldigad!
    Men inte ska du besvära dig med det kära du. Såg att de fraktar till Sverige nu och jag har även en ‘mailbox’ i USA ditt vi tidigare fått varor levererade(b la en spegel från Pottery Barn och 2 st Butterfly Chairs från Circa 50) för vidare transport sjövägen- det har funkat finfint! Men tackar så ödmjukast för din fina gest!!!
    Trevlig helg!
    //Tina

• love your picks. herringbone! i have a few jute and sisal rugs around, but truthfully i’m not into rugs. i like how they look in photos of lovely rooms, but to live with? i like smooth sexy wood i can glide easily over and scrub clean. right now we have tons of wall to wall carpet because of budget and the fact the home is always full of teens, but in a perfect world, WOOD AND STONE!

smiles.

• Monika, I have sisal in my dining room as well, but seagrass in a bedroom. I used to prefer sisal but now I think I’m a seagrass girl, especially one with a natural border. Great post.

• Love the look, and in the right space these look like a million dollars. I also love antique rugs (who doesn’t) but not for every home. Sisal is a no brainer and works with almost any kind of decor, love the look and especially a tone on tone pattern like a herringbone or plaid of diamond pattern..those are fun!
    Beautiful post Mon and ugh…your “humble” breakfast nook, GORGEOUS WITH A CAPTIAL G!!!!!!!!!

• love the look. One of my favorite sources is Merida Meridian.

Splendid Willow Reply:

Read more about talented Laura’s project here (where she used natural fiber rugs).

–Mon

• Londen says:

I love that rug dressed up or down…perfect. Your kitchen nook is gorgeous btw and black kitty is adorable.

• That houndstooth rug is pretty cool.

Tack för besöket hos mig ! Det är alltid kul när du tittar förbi :)
    Jättefina mattor, jag tycker bäst om de som är neutrala av dem du visar. Mattor kan också få ha lite färg om rummet är mer neutralt.

Hoppas allt är bra med dig !!

Kramar

• sherry says:

I agree!!! 20 years ago I put wall to wall seagrass in my master and everyone thought I was nuts! I have loved the natural look ever since, I feel it has become a classic for sure.

• My favourite image here is *your* dining area, Mon. So chic and I love how you have mixed styles! Love the pattern on the Crate & Barrel rugs, and the houndstooth ones from Overstock too.

Thank you SO much for your lovely lovely comment about the cloakroom blind I designed. You are a sweetheart! To answer your question – there are a few UK companies I know of who can print on fabric; royalties were paid to the person who owns the image copyright and the gold frame image was from a stock library.

Hope your week has started off brilliantly, sweet Mon!

Meera xx

• casey says:

I have had good luck with these in clients’ homes; they always seem to be my go-to choice. By now though I reallllly want one for my own home. I like Ballard’s, West Elm’s, and PB’s versions.

• Carmella says:

So fun to see this post, Monika, as I was just looking at jute/sisal rugs yesterday for an upcoming application. I look at other fiber rugs, then seem to always come back to these – the price, like you said is always within reach! I have had one similar to Brooke’s in my kitchen and loved how soft it was on bare feet! Take care!

• I honestly said out loud, “Wait, what? That’s your kitchen?! For reals?!” It is so perfect!! Love love love. And I totally agree with you. This trend isn’t dying anytime soon 😉

Kristina
    Something 2 Write About

• your dining area is wonderful, Mon! just saved it in my dream file. Happy Tuesday and big hugs to you

• I love natural fibre rugs as well, and I love the way they can be used in everything from a very formal area, to somewhere very relaxed, and still look great. Love your dining nook, and the rest of these inspiration photos are stunning. Very glad to hae found your blog! :)