Jan
2012

My Friend’s “New” Chandelier = $4

Some of you might remember the Chandelier DIY project I shared a long time ago — here. One savvy lady took her standard, mass produced brass chandelier, gave it a good spray paint and, within minutes, that ugly duck was transformed into a chic, purple beauty!

My close friend Bianca and her husband bought a wonderful property, nestled in the quiet hillsidse east of Seattle. (This is their, not so shabby view! Envision at night. ).

The entire house is going through a complete remodel and new furnishings will be bought once the architect is done with his work. Meanwhile Bianca will have to live with this brass chandelier which came with the house.

Although the chandelier came down for New Years and we all danced below this happy ball! (Bianca & hubby throw fun parties!).

Anyway, inspired by my post, Bianca recently hung her brass chandelier in a tree in her garden, gave it 2 coats of white paint (her hubby thought she had lost her mind) and now her dining area has a new fresh, fixture to go with the white linen chairs. It is a temporary fix. But I wouldn’t be surprised if this beauty later will move into her daughter’s bedroom.

All it took was this (matte paint) x 2 coats. And 30 minutes later the “new” fixture had moved back in. Cost = $4. And now you can see the lines and details of the chandelier much better!

I am not a big DIY girl (just don’t have the eye) but I think this is a brilliant brass chandelier makeover. Might need to try it myself one day. I see a red chandelier for me… Or an emerald green one in an all white room. (Oh, that would be ultra chic!). Admit that you are a little inspired!

Happy weekend to you all.

Written by Splendid Willow in: DIY |

• Tina says:

Hej Mon! Ja, tänk vad lite färg kan göra!!!
    Smaragdgrön takkrona faller också mig helt i smaken-Go for it:)!
    Kikar in, önskar God fortsättning på nya året…må det bli ett spännande, kreativt och underbart år.
    Kram på Dig!
    //Tina

Wonderful make over!
    I love it when a creative and resourceful woman takes matters into her own hands. ‘Gobsmacked husbands’ turn into ‘impressed husbands’ in the matter of hours when something splendid like this transformation happens! 😉

I think a ‘China Red’ or ‘Jade Green’ chandelier would be hot for Spring – go for it darling!

Hugs from the motherland.

xx C

Well, well well!! Isn’t this chandelier beautiful!! As Charlotte says, you can use different colors for different seasons if you like!
    A splendid idea of a splendid lady!!
    Oh and what a wonderful view your friend Bianca will have!

• WOW! What a beautiful, and creative transformation. She took it from a “ehhh” to a “knock your socks off” chandelier. Good for her! I am impressed with her creative vision as I am with her guts to do it but boy, did it pay off!!
    And that view………breathtaking!

• my stars! totally inspired. that chandelier had the perfect scrolly-work for a paint job. now it really shines. wonderful job your friend did! donna

• tinajo says:

That´s just lovely – I do think I need a chandelier sooner or later..! :-)

• Love it painted white! Looks like NYE was fun under the disco ball!

It always amazes me what you can do with a can of paint. Perhaps I should sell used furniture with a paint selection kit and guide on site??
    Would love to see more of Seattle…it looks so Swedish! And cool.

Splendid Willow Reply:

Jill, we are hoping to see you and Luke over here soon! Summer? Mon

• designchic says:

Wow…what a difference. I was thinking about this bamboo light fixture that I love that is white, wondering how it would look painted a soft aqua for a beach house…hmmmmm. Love what a can of spray paint can achieve!! Happy Friday ~

• Sherry Hart says:

Paint is the hardest working tool in a makeover!!!!! I can STILL be amazed at its results. Love the view and the chandelier!

• Emily says:

I loved this post because a few months ago I did the same thing to transform my dining room chandelier…it is really amazing what a little paint can do…especially on chandeliers. http://www.ruedeemily.com/2011/10/dining-room-redoin-blueof-course.html
    My friend just did a massive one in her entry way in black and it is fabulous too!

This just warms my soul…validation….I “spray painted” red the “rather ornate” chandelier that we hung in our boat house sun deck. It was a “found” orphan and I get more “surprised compliments” on that baby. I LUV emerald green more and more….franki

Splendid Willow Reply:

Franki,

I bet it looks great in your boat house! I want to see more of that house!!!! Monika

• Gorgeous. Love the white much more!
    Thank you for sharing, Monica.

• What a difference some white paint makes!!

• Karen Wheeler says:

Whoo-hoo! GREAT in color. Bet I’ll have one soon. The brass thing is hanging in the garage, too big and amazing to toss, but also not what i wanted inside. NOW: too many stunning colors to choose from!

• Bianca says:

Wow, how much fun it is to read all of those lovely posts!! Thanks Ladies – because this project was so easy and fun and made such a huge difference, I bought a few more spray cans!! I am going to spray paint all of those ugly brown and beige metal blinds next.

Also thanks to Monika for always being such a great inspiration!

Michelle Falco Reply:

So fun to see this and figure out it was YOU! Can’t wait to one day see all your renovations, Bianca.

• Kathysue says:

I actually did not mind the patina of the brass, but I can see where she knew exactly what her room needed and made a great choice!! Excellent job and choice, Kathysue

• liza says:

It looks so much better! The blue one is beautiful, too.

liza Reply:

purple, really! right!
    liza recently posted..Still Makes Me Happy

I am sooooo inspired! What a fun post to read and those chandeliers look amazing. The picture with the purple beauty is fantastic. My hubby and I frequent Seattle all the time, it’s one of our favorites. Thanks for posting!

• Kimberly W. says:

Amazing how pretty the chandelier looks after being painted. Really pretty! Kimberly.

• brass is not my favorite (the enemy in terms of my hair color!!)so any color is the right move. i have a vision of the green you described in an all white room. F to the RESH. ignore last sentence.

my disco ball has been a hit!

smiles.

• René says:

Oh how lovely! White paint amazes me every time!

• Isn’t it amazing what little paint can do?!

• Great idea, what a transformation! Love the view over Seattle and love that first picture, colour against the white wall, stunning!
    Sharon

• You don’t have an eye for DIY? Erm, erm…Oh please! I’ve seen your DIY stuff in your house and think you’re very good Miss Monika! I like the idea of a red chandelier. Oh, and I know you’re taking good care of my “baby” so thank you again lovey!

• Fabulous chandy – and the house isn’t too shabby either – what a view!

• Lorenz says:

Hi Bianca,

i am amused: you are full of imagination, ideas und power! Gratulations in the new great-paint-project,

greetings from Rösrath
    Lorenz

• I love to see people get creative with paint…Happy weekend, Monika. XO, Mona

• Such an easy fix! Wished I’d thought of it in a few homes past…

• Boom!!! This is seriously GORGE!! and i am in love with the color she picked too. Fab FAB DIY. Thanks for sharing with us. happy new week to you love.

• all right…I admit…I am still blown away from the view. Didn’t hear anything else you said! ;0

Hej !
    Och jag som trodde att jag redan hade kommenterat hos dig :)
    Den första ljuskronan gillar jag verkligen färgen på. Jag som egentligen är en vit-brun-beige person. Men man upphör aldrig att förvånas.

Kram, vännen

• Wow, what a difference a can of Rust-oleum can make! Beautiful.

• casey says:

Absolutely, Monika! Sometimes the simplest (cheapest) solutions are best!