Jan
2012

A Few Design Trends For 2012

Happy New Year! I hope that everyone had a fun December break. I took the time to really relax with family and friends and to be in the moment. I definitely have a new spring in my step (literally since I also started running again, more consistently. I have a torn meniscus in my knee and it has taken a long time to heal without some big time surgery). I am really looking forward to a healthy, creative and fun 2012!

All design magazines and experts are now talking about how to organize things better in 2012 or which trends to embrace in the new year. The latter seems more fun to me! This is what I have picked up:

Green is the new black. It is more than a trend and it is here to stay. We will see more furnishings designed by recycling, re-purposing, and reclaiming than ever. But we will see more elegant pieces. Not chunky and rustic all the way. More fine lines combined with a little bit industrial feel.

We will see a lot of retro tones in 2012, screaming nostalgia. Colors like brown, orange, yellow and purple in recurring combinations again will inspire the fashion scene, preferably in glossy satin fabrics or corduroy.

So, no surprise that Pantone announced Tangerine – the color of 2012. I personally like orange and rust myself and for once I feel I am with the trend! (Last year’s color, Honeysuckle, never did it for me). Rust and orange work so well with gray and navy.

Boisterous interiors will be themed a lot this year encouraging parties and clubbing. Bring out the disco ball in your living room, people!

Typography. The design world’s love affair with typography will continue well into 2012.

A big trend this year will be warm metal colors – brass and gold. Goes well with the retro theme but it also reflects hopes for a better economy. Silver and chrome will fade as a trend.

Isn’t this gold Greek Key ceiling light stunning! I want it for my guest room. (I don’t dare to look at the price tag…). Source here – C Bell.

And when it comes to art, be prepared for more avant-garde art scenes. Harsh art designs (a lot of underground black) paired with organic shapes and the chocking 80´s colours contrast with the shiny metal of the 90´s. I expect many interesting, artistic ambitions in 2012.

Any specific design trends you have picked up on?

Warm hugs to you all. It is good to be back!

Image links: No. 1 via Zazzle,  no. 2 via Hometro, no. 3 unknown (sorry!), no. 4+5 via Trend Fashion Style, no. 6 via Pantone, no. 7 via House And Home, no. 8  via You Say Too, no. 9+10 via Color Sizzle, no. 11 via A Designer Spot, no. 12 unknown (sorry), no. 13 via Freecodesource, no. 14 via This Is Glamarous, no. 15, via House Beautiful (scanned from Feb, 2012 issue), no. 16 via Tate.

Written by Splendid Willow in: Fashion & Trends | Tags:

• Agree with every one!! I love the warm metals, and the pick of Tangerine tango!!! Can’t wait to see what else 2012 will have in store for us. Happy New Year to you Mon, hope you had a wonderful break with your loved ones. Here’s to a great year ahead! hugs,
    Nancy xo

• Hey Mon! I can hear the renewed energy in your voice! Good for you to be back to running…you are inspirational! I love the warm metals and though I have never used orange in my own home, I do like the color quite a bit and might use it in my small home office, its a possible choice. This is a great post….enjoyed all the beauty and everything feels so fresh and new, its fun to see whats new and big on the horizon. And yes you can so be my celebrity Swedish waffle maker:) They will be lining up around the corner……xoxo

• Karen says:

I’m really happy to hear the trend for typography will continue, love the subway signs and even the cat (you show) is pretty cute. I don’t follow every last trend but it’s nice to know what’s “in” when redoing a room, as I am this month.
    Karen

Hej & välkommen tillbaka :)
    Dina inlägg är alltid intressanta och roliga. Du skriver om både ditt eget hem och trender, så inspiration finns alltid att få.

Ha det jättebra !

Kram

YIPEE! My freshly painted “metallic vintage bronze” front door…is a TREND!! This is going to be fun! franki

• Well Ms. Monica, this is some post! Glad to learn that green is coming back, but I also love the 2012 pick. I have always loved pops of orange and vermillion.
    Happy New Year.

Welcome back, Monica! I have missed your good energy. That greek key pendant is stunning!

JC

Thank You for this update Monika!! Glad to hear tangerine…phew I guess some of my designs will still be “in” this year. haha…too much orange over here…

• designchic says:

Loving these trends for 2012, especially the trend of gold…adore a touch of gold in a room!! So happy you were able to relax and enjoy family time over the holidays and thrilled to have you back –

• Happy New Year, Monika! Hope all is well and that you enjoyed the holidays. This is great stuff! I love the trend of retro colors and metal finishes. It has that funky vibe that I like for some reason. Anyway, it’s nice to catch up on your other terrific posts, too. Have a great day! ~Kelly

• you will be the first to hear if tangerine makes an appearance here in 2012! so glad your injury is healing. i look forward to getting into better shape and adding a ballet class very soon.

and speaking of trends, have blogs fallen out of favor yet? i’m always slow on that sort of thing…

smiles.

• pretty pink tulips says:

Happy New Year, Mon!!! Love that you hit the ground running, literally!

I’m gaga for the gold light fixture above. Might just have to go check out the price tag!!
    Here’s to a happy and healthy new year!!!

xoxo Elizabeth

• I’m seeing so much tangerine for 2012 – happy to see a favourite bright getting the coverage! Happy New Year to you lovely Mon. Hugs! xx

Oh colors …….. I have to admit I’m a black & white fanatic but as long as there is color, I have accessories. The first picture of the table inspires me as I am tired of my dining room table that is very similar but they have matched it up with white chairs and cool lights. I love the contrast of that room.

• Julie at BV says:

Cheers to 2012!! Dear Monika, I hope you had a wonderful Christmas time. I’m looking forward to 2012. loving each and every one of your predicted trends. I can’t wait to see the new inspirations.
    Hugs,
    Julie

• Jessie says:

Welcome back, Monika. I am glad your injury is finally healed.

I love brass and orange, so this trend is right up my alley. Looking forward to see some products and decorating inspirations in Tangerine Tango.

Great post by the way, Monika. Happy New Year. May the new year brings you everything you had hoped for and more!

Hugs,

Jessie

• Amanda says:

I just found your blog and am so excited to be a new follower! Such a great site, coming back soon for more!

• Laura Casey says:

Great picks for 2012 – I couldn’t agree more, retro colors and typography will definitely be hot this year.
    Happy New Year!
    Laura

• Eddie Ross says:

That “L” monogram pattern on those red-trimmed pillows is so cute. It’s not one that you see often, and it’s quite nice. The Greek key pendent is so chic too. Hope you had a good holiday and are having a great start to the new year!
    xo E + J

• I’m loving the Greek key pendant as well, and I’m excited for the warm metals to be coming back. It’s so funny, I never used orange, but not because of any aversion to it. I just never picked up on it. But the Honeysuckle… well I had an aversion to that colour. Just not for me. And now I have a gallon or orange paint just waiting for a DIY redo… but I’m still searching for a cool piece to redo!

• Happy New Year, sweet Mon!! Love this post, you have put together so well all the trends forecasted for the year. I’m definitely one for buying vintage, upcycling and supporting upcyclers; I can never get enough of art (of all sorts) and I love a bit of antique gold. I adore the pictures you have picked, and I couldn’t help looking up the gold Greek key pendant – it’s stunning but I went “eek” at the price of over $650!

I hope you’re having a fabulous start to 2012, lovely!

Hugs,
    Meera xx

• Happy New Year, my friend! Glad you had such a nice break. Loving your trend review, so many great choices. The most recent issue of House & Home was a favorite of mine. Lots of eye candy! Looking forward to what 2012 has in store – it’s going to be amazing! xo

• casey says:

I’m absolutely loving those warm metals. Great trend roundup. So looking forward to 2012 and continuing to enjoy your blog, Monika!

• Victoria Athens says:

I love all the colors AND those luscious Donna Karan dresses. Thanks for the inspirations.
    Best…Victoria

Love the greens and the oranges – always have – great review of the trends!

• Sherry Hart says:

Whoa…..that was some post. You have given us what we need to plow into 2012 and I for one am looking forward to seeing wonderful rooms with these trends. Rust and navy is calling my name in a big way…….I better get busy.