Dec
2011

My Candy Store Is Now Open!

Every winter holiday season we turn our old, Swedish secretaire into a treat cabinet, which my children officially have dubbed “The Candy Store”. We fill the cabinet with all kinds of sweets and let me tell you that there is a constant flow of family members and guests heading in that direction of the house! Plates and bowls are frequently being filled up!

I personally love this tradition. The kids (and hubby!) get so excited every year. As of Dec. 18th (my oldest daughter’s birthday – the big 10!) – “The Candy Store Is Officially Open! Even our spoiled cat Charlie, wants to be part of the fun!

An absolute must have in our store, are chocolates from Brugge Chocolates. It does not get much better than that, folks. Absolutely top notch European style chocolates made locally here in Seattle. I can’t rave enough about this brand – and once you learn about it, you almost want to keep it a secret! Remember that you learned about Brugge Chocolates here first!

Brugge Chocolates was opened in February 2010 by owner and head chocolatier, Susan Walukiewicz. I really like her. After retiring from a career at Microsoft (kind of envious of here career switch…), Susan attended the Barry Callebaut Chicago Chocolate Academy, where she trained with Belgian, French and Canadian chocolatiers, always with an emphasis on artisan chocolates and confections.

Here are a few pieces I just picked up. More will be added next week – I want it all super fresh. ( I gave myself a medal for not taking even the tiniest of nibbles).

…with real gold flakes…

Some other Holiday touches at our house. You all know that I like to keep things simple. But for being a fairly modern gal, it sometimes even surprise myself  that I am so attached to a more old feel, rustic Christmas. I feel it has such a good, friendly vibe.

The Christmas tree (with its forest theme) is up. Here seen from my office.

Hubby wanted more red in the tree (The only time he has an opinion about colors, is when the tree is to get some decor. What is that all about?!) – so I added red apples to the mix.

The kids decorated their village.

Today you will find me linking to these lovely and creative blogs: Cottage & Vine, Savvy Southern Style, Between Naps On The Porch, Dittle Dattle & DIY Home Sweet Home. Thank you for the fun parties, ladies!

And if you are looking for some last minute gifts, meet me over at my close & stylish friend Manvi’s blog Mochatini, where I have listed a few things I want for myself!

Happy New Week!

Written by Splendid Willow in: Holidays & Celebrations,My Home | Tags: ,

38 Comments »

Hej !
    Tack för din kommentar hos mig :) Den kom verkligen när jag behövde den.
    Ditt inlägg gör mig också glad. Härlig julstämning, vackra saker och så hittar jag glädje där 😀

Tack, min vän !

Kram

• tinajo says:

You certainly set the Christmas mood with this post Mon – and I love your candy store! :-)

Kram!

[Reply]

• Your home looks lovely Monika and that candy store is such a great (and beautiful) idea! I have many good memories of chocolates in Brugge and I also have strong ties to Microsoft (they pay our bills :)), so I’m very curious about this woman’s enviable path! Yum.

[Reply]

Dear Monika, I love your candy shop, love your Swedish secretary, love your sweet cat Charlie (he is beautiful!!!), love every decoration you brought in your house!! Oh it looks so fabulous!
    I am sure that the Bruges chocolates will be very delicious!The best chocolat in the world!!
    And Monika, that sconce in your house!! Oh oh that is what I am really looking for!!! I just love it!!
    Have a great Christmas period with your family my sweet friend!!
    Hugs,

[Reply]

• Mon…this is AMAZING!!!! Right out of a magazine my friend. That is the prettiest “candy store” I have ever seen and surely the most elegant!! No wonder your family so antiicipates it! Gorgeous decor, your tree, all the beautiful festive magical touches. You did such a gorgeous job…..well done. Enjoy!

• Iris says:

A stunningly beautiful home which includes a Candy Store. Fantastic. Happy Holidays to you. Enjoy every minute of it.

[Reply]

• I look forward to seeing this tradition every year at your house, monika. your children are so lucky. don’t you just know they will carry on a similar tradition when they have homes of their own. how wonderful to think! all my best and merry christmas, love, donna

• Sherry Hart says:

First of all you had me with the nuts on the wreath. Yep I sure do like that little touch:). Then everything else was “simply the best” as Tina Turner would say! But the candy. I would be guarding it like Cujo. Cause maybe if I did that I wouldn’t eat it. (then I wouldn’t have a job). Nah…….I would plow through those goodies.
    All kidding aside how darn beautiful everything is. Oh the talent……

How SWEET! Everything looks festive and FUN!! franki

• Monica-
    You are one busy lady!
    The candy looks delicious, and your decorations are stunning! I love the tree and the village. Talented Monica.
    Have a nice week.

[Reply]

• Your Holiday decorations are so beautiful! I’m especially smitten with your candy store–it’s such a wonderful idea although all my Holiday weight gain would be from that cabinet 😉

[Reply]

WOW!!!! I am coming over!!!!! You have the most amazing style, Monica. Very, very nice.

JC

[Reply]

Just gorgeous!! I love the “candy store” such a fantastic idea!

• Kathysue says:

I love this idea, I do something similar on the night of the festivities, but I am afraid if I had it out any longer than one night in my home, I would gain 20lbs over the Holidays. Your Candy cupboard looks so inviting, just perfect!YOu have a lucky family,
    Merry Christmas,
    Kathysue

[Reply]

• I cannot wait to see this in person! I will be bringing over my box of treats for you to enjoy! We will be on a major sugar rush! xo

• paula says:

it all looks so pretty Monika. I think a candy store for my own home is a must! although as I write the kiddos are trying to gnaw on the gingerbread houses they just decorated. I think the store wouldnt last a day.

• SST says:

Looking forward to a visit to the candy store, save some salted caramels for me.

[Reply]

• That is SOOOO Sweet!!!!!!!!!No pun intended….. Looks like you’ll need to keep an eye on the cat. Have a great Holiday Season and hope Splendid Willow Ave is having a great xmas!!!!!!!Maryanne xo

[Reply]

Darling it all looks just great!
    I adore your ‘candy store’ and can only imagine the anticipation and excitement amongst the kids. Actually, I am sure Peter too tries to sneak a peek before the big opening..! :)

Your traditions are lovingly curated and will stay with your children for years to come. What a beautiful way to end the year Monika!

Please tell the kids that I love the ‘village’ – so cute!! I bet they just love adding those little animals. Love!

Ok my sweet. I am off to bed after only two hours sleep last night. I am busier than Santa I tell you..

KRAM!

xx sis

[Reply]

Oh I just love the little house, the branches with the newspaper is something I would like to do next year and now I feel like finding myself some chocolate.

[Reply]

• Brugge is right by my office! Next time you go send me a shout and we’ll get coffee :)

• designchic says:

What a wonderful idea, but how in the world can you resist going by that secretary and not tasting all day long…I would be in big trouble with my sweet tooth!! You are certainly looking festive and inviting at your gorgeous home…

• Stacey says:

I love all the little subtle touches of Christmas here and there in your home. Of course, the candy store steals the show! How fun is that! I adore the tree too. I received my box and absolutely adore its contents:-). I plan to take pics and tell all about your lovely store and the kiddies section. Thank you so much for packaging it with love. XX

• liza says:

It looks so beautiful, Monika! All of it!

• Terri says:

I love it all especially thr candy store!!!!
    What a wonderful tradition!!!
    Merry Christmasto you and your beautiful family
    XO
    Terri

[Reply]

• love your candy store, Mon, your Swedish secretary, Sweden Style book and the Brugge Chocolates – so much to love in this pos! Wishing you happy holidays. so glad 2012 is coming – the year when our house will be built :) it s like a dream. sending love to you, Mon

• Hello Mon,

How beautiful! I love your Christmas tree and this post! I am CRAZY about Christmas treats and chocolate. Trust me, you don’t want me over at this time of the year. I wouldn’t leave that Swedish secretary alone! :-) As you know, I just gave birth and I should’ve trying to loose some weight, but this is just impossible right now. I’m always eating some panettone, some chocolates or some cookies ( I love Belgium ones!).

So nice seeing your beautiful home and the way you celebrate Christmas.

Wishing a very blessed one!

Luciane at HomeBunch.com

[Reply]

• Candy store! That is such a lovely lovely tradition!! LOVING your beautiful tree and festive decorations around your gorgeous home, Mon. You are such an inspiration.
    Your picks on Mochatini’s blog are very sweet!
    Hugs hugs,
    Meera xx

• Kicki says:

Monika,

Your candy store is lovely:)

Have a wonderful Christmas!

Kicki Eriksson

[Reply]

• I set up a similar area in my kitchen – but love how you have a set date where you unveil it all!! Those Brugge chocolates look divine and if they taste just a fraction as good as they look, I know I’ll be in heaven!

Enjoy trying some of the treats!!

Merry merry!
    xoxo Elizabeth

• Kim says:

Beautiful Christmas decorations and I love that hutch. Gorgeous! I would love for you to join my Wow us Wednesdays party some time. It is going now.

• René says:

Traditions are so important to families. I love your candy store! Your home is lovely as always. So honored you could join the party!

René

• Jessie says:

I love your candy store! It’s gorgeous, beautifully styled and filled with yummy treats, it doesn’t get any better than that!

Adore your Christmas decor particularly the village your kids decorated, it’s so magical!

Have a lovely, lovely Christmas, Monika. Enjoy the holidays!

Jessie

[Reply]

• I’m visiting after seeing the beautiful image on Cottage & Vine. Lots to do today but I’ll be following so I can visit again.

Merry Christmas!

Steve

• cassie says:

your home looks amazing! i love the swedish touches!

• Ivy Lane says:

Monika, I just found your blog via Brooke at Velvet and Linen…Bravo! Your blog is breathtaking! Lovely! I shall add it to my blogroll!

Happy New Year!

Ivy

• Cecilia says:

Hello Monika,
    I love your blog and, of course, your fabulous house. This candy store looks fantastic!!

I wish you a Happy New Yeaer 2012

Hugs

Cecilia

[Reply]

• Ok, you know what? You are just completely magical Mon! Is it any wonder that your family waits in anticipation for what you will create around the holidays? Just gorgeous and I would give my left pinkie to get to visit you in your beautiful home at this time of year! ( well, anytime of year really) :) Hope you had a beautiful holiday hunnie and a wonderful new year!
    Melis