Dec
2011

My New Christmas Tree Decorations

I was purring like a cat when I saw this image just yesterday over at my good friend Tina’s blog. This is exactly the look I am going for on our Christmas tree!  A rustic theme celebrating family and mother nature!

I have never had any glitzy, shiny red and green ornaments in my tree (not even when I grew up). I guess I am more used to a simple, quiet, Swedish look. But not until  recently did I come up with a theme close to my heart. We are huge animal lovers at our house and we already have quite a few adorable animal ornaments but this year I am tying everything together with colors and adding some new, forest themed tree ornaments. Here is a sample of what I have been collecting and what is going on the tree.

Adorable mushrooms. A bought a whole bunch — love them!

Bird houses, acorns and more animals.

Light green berry branches (just like in the top picture!).

Jute reindeer (simple and so cute).

Burlap ribbon.

And for the kids I created my own simple little ornaments that I hope they will appreciate for a long time to come. I simply wrote their initials (I used stencils) on some burlap fabric and put them in rustic frames. I also placed some b/w baby pictures in frames and wrote love testiments on the back.

Oh, and hubby always refers to our three kids as “squirrels”. Found some cute ones that are also going on the tree!

I really enjoy this look. It suits us and I know that it will be a very loving tree!

Hugs to you all.

Image no. 1 via Komma Hem.

Written by Splendid Willow in: Holidays & Celebrations,My Home | Tags:

• tinajo says:

That top pic is stunning, I have to save that one for later inspiration! :-)

So cute Monika! The tree will look wonderful and I still have a vivid memory of your Christmas post last year where you guys were drinking minted chocolate whilst dressing the tree. I am sure this year will be even more special give your cute real life ‘little squirrels’ get to hang toy ones! :)

I actually got the post bag for the things I am sending.. Good Heavens, I must be world champion in not pulling myself together when it comes to the post.. Please have patience.. the parcel will be with you BEFORE Christmas this year..! :)

Love and hugs from ‘home’.

xx C

Splendid Willow Reply:

Yep, our tradition is to drink hot mint chocolate and play Christmas jazz while we dress the tree! I am glad that you remembered!

• The Mushrooms are adorable, where did you get them? Victoria xx

• Charming and love the rustic elegance. Yes, less is more often times. Those three little squirrels are adorable!! Cannot wait to see what you do!

• sherry says:

The perfect Christmas decor in my opinion!!! So earthy and natural. Excited to see that finished tree :)

• Victoria Athens says:

Absolutely lovely, Monika. I am sure the children will cherish their personalized ornaments when they grow up and have their own trees. Perfect.
    Best…Victoria

• These are absolutely wonderful Monika! You are so talented and considerate! Your family is so lucky and blessed :-))

• Tina says:

Tyckte väl jag det var konstigt, besöksräknaren hade skjutit i höjden bara sedan i morse:), tog mig genast till Charlotta´s och så din blogg- förstod att det måste varit någon utav er kära som låg bakom min plötsliga bloggframgång:). Tack för att du länkade.
    Er julgran kommer att bli en fröjd att beskåda-du visar väl oss det färdiga resultatet!?
    Kram Tina

Must be “that” kind of “feeling”…back to Nature. Think I’ll do the “birds, butterflies and bows.” Off for a brisk walk!! franki

• so inspired by your natural look, monika. I have so many mirrors as art, I think a more natural look would be just the thing for me. I saw some stars (large) fashioned from twigs and branches that I thought would look great over my mirrors. Now, thanks to you, I know I need them! And I love the frames with the baby photos, such great keepsakes. happy first of december! donna

• Oh my goodness, Monica! These decorations are perfect! The jute reindeer, I’m just in love, and the little squirrel, adorable.
    You just know how to put things together ma’am!
    Hav e great day.

• Hi Monika!
    These are so you!!! Clean textured, natural!!!!!!!And pretty!!!!!!Maryanne xo

• Kathysue says:

I love love the direction you are going. I love a bit of sparkle for my tree, but your tree is so authentic and natural looking. Great choices on all of your ornaments and the picts of your babes is priceless. I hang pictures on my tree also and every year I have a little Christmas cry remembering my sweet baby’s that are now men.
    Merry Christmas, it is Dec. 1st so we can officially say,
    Merry Christmas ?
    Kathysue

You should have been doing the segment I did yesterday. I’m afraid my design reach has not included holiday decor yet. Really, time…there’s just no time!

Love it – and my favorite are the squirrels, they are adorable and so cute! Also grew up with a very simple tree – our tree was just white lights and red and gold balls – that was it – so that is what i don’t like all the extra junk. But i REALLY like the natural way here – i might have to try that next year.

• designchic says:

The perfect pieces for rustic Christmas decorating…love the mushrooms and squirrels!!

• Very unique and rustic! I love those adorable little squirrels.

Kristina
    Something 2 Write About

I can’t wait to see all of these beautiful ornaments up on your tree! I adore all of these precious ornaments and to know they have a meaning to you know makes it all more special. Thanks for the inspiration !

• These decorations do suit you- a very loving tree for a loving family. I saw these in person, and loved the simplicity of them. THanks for sharing!

• Karen says:

Very cute. It’s truly a trend I’m embracing, using natural elements and eliminating the overly glitzy look. (not that there’s anything wrong with glitz, I’m just ready for the calm of nature). I love the little felted squirrels.

Happy season.
    Karen

• So very Swedish! I have simple ornaments as well. Love straw ornaments from Europe, have a few. Also some from Ikea. hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving. Have I said how much I love those boots? Every time I wear them someone complements me and asks me where I get them. I send them to your shop!
    Hugs.

• LOVE your Christmas style, Mon! The natural materials are lovely and the ornaments oh-so-cute-and-sweet! The first image is gorrrrgeous (that’s me purring too!) Have fun dressing your tree and drinking mint hot chocolate (yummy!)

Hugs hugs,
    Meera xx

• Monika, I LOVE what you found! The natural elements are so perfect and cannot wait to see it in person soon! Great catching up today. xo

• the squirrels! loving. we are def in synch this holiday season, and i wish i could say i have dressed my tree like you! soon. soon. and now that i have all this inspiration to soak up, it will be even better.

omg the first image. i’m showing this to my husband in hopes he will want to help me create a similar look in my office which remains in transition.

best to you, and i’ll call soon!

• Cheryl Taylor says:

Need squirrels! Can you tell me how to purchase them?

Thank you!

Cheryl

• What an amazingly fresh twist on Christmas. Just when you think you’ve seen it all…

• What a wonderful way to decorate – so natural and simple. I love it!! I’m “pinning” some of your images onto my Pinterest boards so the rest of us can go back to your images.

• Oh I SO love these decorations Mon! Great ideas.
    Hugs

Vilket härligt skogstema ! Jag tror att vi är på väg mot förändringar i julpyntandet. Det är nya idéer och färger som kommer.

Ha en fin dag !

Kram

• Julie at BV says:

How creative simple and pretty Monika. Love it.

• casey says:

This post and your last, Monika, are filled with such beautiful inspiration. I will be pinning these images like crazy!

• These are so charming …just like you. I’m still pedaling uphill. XO, Mona