Oct
2011

West Elm Is On A Roll

Finally Seattle got its own West Elm — the first in WA state. I am very excited!

Right now I am in the process of helping a dear friend decorate her lovely Seattle home (4-5 rooms) where we are mixing high-end with low-end and some design classics with more trendy objects and furnishings. West Elm is coming in very handy.

The store is the best it has ever been, in my opinion. West Elm’s buyers and stylists are doing a fabulous job of picking up trends and colors early and I have found several lovely things for my friend’s home (and my own!). You get a lot of great design for your money.

I have a serious crush on this fresh Medallion pattern. So pretty!

A perfect ceramic stool for the bathroom.

A really pretty felt pillow. It speaks to me. I am buying a couple for sure!

A handsome rug.

Basic nice, white pottery.

A simple bookshelf.

I am so getting a few wooden trees for my own holiday decorations. They are going to be placed on my 18th c. gray painted, Swedish buffet. Feels Scandinavian to me.

I also salute West Elm for its effort to collaborate with Aid To Artisans (West Elm is the nonprofit’s largest retail partner). Here they worked with artists in Haiti to create papier-mâché animals. Hand made entirely from recycled materials. That is responsible design.

Not bad, right? Not bad at all!

Happy new week!

P.S Is there a secret war going on between the Blogspot and WordPress platforms? I have been having a terrible time lately commenting on some (not all) Blogspot blogs. The comments don’t even go through. It drives me insane! Other WordPress users out there with the same issues?

Images: All images via West Elm.
Written by Splendid Willow in: Home Goods & Accessories,Lovely Furniture | Tags:

• tinajo says:

I think those who have the embedded comment forms are the ones who´re having trouble – the pop out is always more stabil at Blogspots blogs.

I love these things – SO envious I can´t go shopping there! :-) Have a great day! :-)

• I love West Elm and was so happy when they started shipping to the UK. Steep shipping charges and I’m not sure we get the full range yet but at least moving in the right direction!

I love all your ideas here, I’ve been wanting a similar kind of bookshelf and I love the look of the simple white pottery. And oh those little trees are so cute!

I’m sure your design for your friend’s home will be fabulous!

Meera xx

P.S. – I’m a wordpress user, not had any problems commenting on blogspot recently.

West Elm is fantastic and I wish they’d branch out to Scandinavia too. Perhaps there is a webshop option – I must check.

Love your picks dear sis. Spot on as always.

Din (och Tinas) är den enda blogg jag tänker titta på idag. Har blogg allergi tror jag.. ingen lust alls.

KRAMAR!

xx C

• I think they’re at their best now too…that pillow looks absolutely cozy! I love their build a bed function too!

• I got the catalog too and was so excited! yes- having a hard time commenting on many blogspot blogs.

• Wow lucky you..that should be a really fun experience to go and start shopping in there!! They do look great, a friend of mine just did her guest room with bedding from them and it came out fabulous…really looked great. Blogger problems are a plenty these days though they seem to have rectified themselves lately..glad you were able to post yesterday!! Take care Mon!

• i have been stalking west elm online lately but had not seen that simple bookshelf! i love your picks (of course!) and how they all work so well together.

i too have had trouble leaving comments on wordpress…itactually seemed like there was something hacky going on.

dragging myself to yoga.

have a great week.

• agreed! and just a little jealous that you have one close by now! love the texture on that pillow… donna

• sherry says:

I agree….West Elm has definitely stepped up their game…every time I go in there, I do not leave empty handed. So happy that it landed there for you because somebody said you don’t have Homegoods in Seattle??????? That is just a sin :)

• Good morning, Mon!

I meant to come here before. I subscribe to your blog and saw you prepared some posts I didn’t see. I’m so addicted to your blog now that I feel really bad if I miss any of your posts. The thing is, with only 7 weeks for Matthew’s arrival (yes, it’s a BOY!), I’m not feeling 100% all the time, so I try to not be in front of the computer for too long. I’m trying to learn how to balance that! :-) Please, don’t worry about sending anything! It’s incredibly sweet of you, but please, don’t worry! You’ve already done so much for me. By the way, I went to a restaurant wearing the necklace the other day and I saw many people looking at it! You feel so pretty wearing it. I felt! :-) Thank you again!!! It’s even more special to me because it came from you.

I’m happy you got a West Elm in Seattle. I love their site, but I’d love to be able to see all of their stuff. That pillow is amazing! It’s seems to be so cozy. Perfect for this time of the year, Mon.

Wishing you a very blessed week!

Luciane a HomeBunch.com

Yes – helping me – you are the best :) I love the quilt and the pattern too. Ohh and i love the white pottery and the rug is fabulous!!! Again thanks so much for your help and lots of patience :) I have to go to the west elm store soon it is only a few minutes from my house.

Also lots of folks are having issues with blogger i asked around and it has been going around for weeks.

• Helena says:

hej
    Du har väldigt träffsäker smak..

• I have been having the same commenting problems! Some blogger sites I can’t seem to leave comments on at all, and its making me very sad. Lets get to the bottom of this!

Great finds, Mon! Your blog is the only catalog I need!

I’m so glad you mentioned “difficulties with leaving comments!” I’m just “giving up”… “way to hard!” Glad you got a “West Elm”…there is always room for more! 😀 franki

• Victoria Athens says:

I have been having trouble posting comments on a few websites, but others work just fine. It is discouraging if you spend time posting a thoughtful comment, and it goes into the ether. I hope it gets worked out.
    As for West Elm, I own the bed — in queen size — shown in the first image. it is great looking and well priced, like most everything they sell. Love the garden seat too. I am a sucker for garden seats.
    Have a great week.
    Best…Victoria

• designchic says:

I was completely obsessed with the cedar wooden trees…can hardly wait to get them for my Christmas decor and the paper mache animals…fabulous!! Hope you’re having a great start to your week, Mon ~

They are really getting good! Love all their styles and their prices are unbeatable. Love the trees!! Can’t believe I’m seeing Xmas decor already!

• Wowee! West Elm has some great stuff. Love the felt pillow and garden. I think one of the greatest challenges as a designer is to be able to mix high end and low end seamlessly.
    Best,
    Amy

• I live an hour from LA and an hour from San Diego where both places have West Elm stores…but last week I visited a store and was impressed! Fun dishes, too. I took lots of photos and may do a post on them, too.

• Julie at BV says:

My dear friend,

I was just thinking about doing a post about West Elm this morning but somehow changed my mind. I agree with you that they are at the top of their game right now. Their furniture is turning a bit more traditional with more gracious lines and finishes, which is always A+. Did you get to see their new white industrial bookcases on caster (not in their website yet) I think you would love those.
    I can’t wait to see what you’ll do with your friend’s house! any sneak peek in the future?!

P.S. I’m also very busy Mon. Slowly… learning how to get a hand on everything.

Hugs and kisses to you.

• Julie says:

They seriously are! I’ve been meaning to get in there, but time has been stingy lately;) xo

• I love the felt pillow & the beautiful white pottery

• I can’t wait to check this out in person!! I adore West Elm and check their website obsessively :)

• isa says:

I love the paper mache heads! Love what’s behind them even more. (Aid to Artisans, not the wall… but love the wall, too!)
    xo isa

• Jessie says:

I am glad you had a West Elm in your area now! I can totally relate to you excitement! When I was living in North Carolina, I would drool over their offerings online! Since moving to Illinois for more than a year, I got my fix finally! I definitely agree that West Elm is such a great store, you get so much design for your buck! And don’t forget to apply for the West Elm credit card to get your design points! I am so glad I did!

Have a fabulous day, Mon!

Jessie

• Try using Firefox instead of Internet Explorer as your internet browser! I have a Mac (using Firefox) and it has no problem commenting on any blog. But at work, using Internet Explorer, I can’t comment on ANY Blogger sites. Try it out! You can download it here: http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/new/.

And yes, West Elm is AWESOME. Many a great thing to be found there!

Kristina Gulino
    Something 2 Write About

• Jeanette says:

Love West Elm. I have a great chandelier from them in my dining room. What caught my eye this time were the cute x-mas wood trees, I may have to get me some of those.
    Thanks Monika for being the best blogger in the world!!!
    xx Jeanette