Jul
2011

William’s Bedroom Makeover Unveiled – Finally!

Long overdue, I know. It is not a perfect magazine feature room, people — but William is happy and that is all that counts!

Remember, how it started? With a sad little boy pleading for a big boy room with a bed! (My 4 year old Prince had been totally neglected. His sisters got all the fancy stuff and he was still in an old crib… with a broken mobile hanging over his head. (There used to be six birds).

Help!!! Anybody out there?!

We finally got the message and went to work. This time I wanted a room with a more Scandinavian feel. Simple, light, easy to clean and soothing (soft colors, good lighting and and a good vibe). We also decided to be a little budget savvy. (I think Ikea is perfect for kids’ rooms! Scandinavian look & feel and so cost effective).

What really made this room take so long, was waiting for this wall sconce! (Boston Library light via Circa Lighting). Waiting for its arrival and to have it installed. I know, I know, hardly low budget.  We splurged on this one, I admit. But it is so handsome and I think it is the perfect accent over the chalkboard wall.

The red cabinet is pretty much one of the few thing we kept from his old room. Antique doors built into a new cabinet. We’ve gotten so much use out of that piece.

The chalkboard wall turned out to be quite the project. A lot of tries with different red chalk paints and it was hard to get the paint even. But I did not want William to stare at a black, gloomy chalkboard (he is only 4) — so it was worth it. Hubby got the frame up and I stained it gray/blue. Our first little DIY project as a couple — it was fun!

Note William’s interpretation of his Mommy!

This is the first room in our house with pure white walls. But I had the ceiling painted in a very soft blue for a little bit of contrast. Still staying very simple Swedish, though!

A view from the door. (I now wish I had ironed all the bed linen!) Slipcovered headboard from Ikea (so easy to wash) and also the bedlinen. Love the dots and stripes.

The big wall map also from Ikea gets a lot of use at bedtime when we talk about places we have been, places we are going and what makes the world go around. I highly recommend it.

Bed buddies (And the not so ironed bed linen. I am not perfect!).

I did not want curtain panels and was ready to order some fancy linen Roman shades (and I might still do that) but a designer friend reminded me, that we have perfectly new and functional white wooden blinds plus it is hard to clean fabric shades. So, no need to take them down — yet. So instead my husband got to build this wooden valance (first time ever!) which I padded and put some striped fabric on from — yes, Ikea!

I hope I haven’t lost too many reader now. Yikes!

Remember the vintage wooden crate I found at a garage sale for nothing? All clean and equipped with casters it now makes for a perfect toy bin.

And the same fox as in the first image is here. So I guess the circle is complete.

I warned you! Nothing fancy, no extravaganza. But hopefully personal and livable for a 4 year old with a simple Scandinavian touch!

I am taking a week+ off from blog land. We plan to have some fun in the sun as a family. I will check in with my friends a tiny bit but I hope you understand and don’t think I am ignoring you if you don’t hear from me for a few days.

When I get back I will have some store news!

Warm summer hugs to you all!

Images: All images via Splendid Willow.
Written by Splendid Willow in: My Home,White rooms | Tags: , , ,

• Therese Long says:

It’s amazing Monika and honestly you made IKEA look high end!
    The colors, the patterns, everything looks so crisp and fresh.
    I just scored that same Lucerne crate recently and just love how you added the casters to it! I’m inspired to do the same thing!
    Have a wonderful break and time off from life and blogging…
    If you’re headed to Santa Cruz please let me know!

Much love,

Terri

Han har ju fått ett jättemysigt rum !! Många fina detaljer. Och ett indiantält, det hade jag också när jag var liten.

Ha det så skönt under ledigheten.

Kramar

• Oh my goodness Mon, AMAZING! Not a magazine room?? I’m going to have to disagree with you on that one my dear friend :) I love what you have done, he must be so so happy!! I love that valence on the window with the bold stripes, yummy! And what a sweetheart William is, he looks adorable!

I hope you are enjoying the wonderful summer weather we are finally having, I am so happy it’s warm. I have been so behind on my blog reading and for that I apologize. I’ve got many home projects on the go that I will definitely be sharing soon :) BIG HUGS!
    Nancy xo

• Honestly, Mon, this is my fav post on your blog! love every pic, every detail! Thanks for sharing them with us. We are on vacation till Monday. Sending love to you wile my kids are sleeping :-) BIGGEST hugs

• Lora Lee says:

Have been following your blog, but this is the first time I’ve commented (I’m not usually a joiner) but I just had to tell you what an amazing job you did on your son’s room. I love every detail. The colors, the mix of fabrics, the use of old and new. That picture of William sitting by the chalkboard with your “likeness” behind him is suitable for framing….how adorable. You are so talented…keep up the good work and keep blogging!

• its lovely mon!! i love that it is not staged for mag shot or anything. the red chalkboard is my fav bit. and i love the modern industrial lights. bravo girlfriend! you need to come decorate my home!!!
    hope your vaca is treating you well. xoxo

• Are you kidding? His room turned out fabulous. I absolutely love the Scandinavia accents. So many wonderful details…the red chalkboard wall,huge map,toy box,window valance,bedding,teepee…I could just keep going on and on…the lighting…but most of all one very precious and happy little boy. That’s the really good stuff.

Hugs to you. Mona

• Hi Mon – love it, love it! Such a cute room and perfect for a boy to grow in! Hope you’re having a great summer!

• Helena says:

Hej
    Jag läste texten om sonens nya rum, det måste vara ett lyft för lille William ….kanske drunknar i uppmärksamheten från 2 systrar…o tjejer som det är så lätt att köpa o fixa saker till. Har själv en son som får tampas med 2 starka systrar..
    Han ser verkligen överlycklig ut under rittavlan där han ritat av sin mamma..en bild säger mer än tusen ord.

Trevlig vecka

Helena

• Serena says:

Just found your blog. I love what you did to your son’s bedroom! It’s boyish, timeless and you’ve added many unique creative features! Wonderful job!

• Eddie Ross says:

William is just so cute!! Love the teepee!! Such a great makeover. Sure he will enjoy it so much!
    xo E + J

• This is beautiful!!! I could go on and on so let me just say I love everything. You have the best taste, Mon and that William is such a cutie! P.S. You may know I have the same sconces in my family room. Like I said, you have great taste! 😀 xo

• Purple Area says:

Your son is so cute!! I like his new room, especially the cabinet!

Hoppas allt är bra med dig och att du haft/har en skön sommar!

Kram/Susann

• Tina says:

Hej Mon!
    Tack för påhälsningen. Livet har varit/är svängigt så jag har inte varit runt så mycket i Blogland den senaste tiden…
    Hoppas allt är väl och att du och din familj har kunnat njuta av sol & bad och lata dagar!
    Willams nya rum blev finfint! Hemtrevligt & med hög mysfaktor!
    //Tina

• Therese Long says:

Hi Mon,

Just had to come by again to thank you for your visits to La Dolfina and your amazing comments!! You are the best my friend. Your excitement and support mean the world to me!!
    Can’t wait to finally meet in October!
    I hope you can plan to spend at least one day and night with me but I’ll take what I can get :)
    Enjoy your vacay with the fam!!
    Lots of Love,
    Terri

• Karena says:

Mon this is the greatest little boys room ever. For the majority of us it is about liveable loveable spaces, not shelter magazine cover rooms!!

I adore everything you have done for your little guy!!In my eyes ii IS perfect!

Karena

Art by Karena

• That is the most handsome, coziest and loveliest room! I am SO glad you didn’t iron the bed sheets…I love it ever so much more, a little rumpled and lived in. :) What a beautiful job you did hun, it is perfect! ( and your little guy is just SO adorable! ) His drawing of you made me chuckle out loud! SO sweet!
    Melis :)

• Love Love Love the room……Found the pic on PINTEREST…WIll have to copy lots of these ideas. First project — go up to IKEA and get bedding…lol…..

Christine Vandormolen Reply:

uhhh and where did you purchase the white side table with the little nooks for baskets?
    Looks like Ikea as well???

• Kim says:

Found you on Pinterest! Adore this room. Wondering what color red for the chalkboard did you use? TIA!

• Colleen says:

Lovely room! Can you share the paint colors and source for the tee-pee?
    Thanks.

• Tiffany says:

Found your awesome room on Pinterest. I love the headboard but am not finding it on IKEA, can you tell me the name?

• Sarah says:

Would love to know if you recently purchased headboard and if so name. I can not find on their website.

Great looking room!

Splendid Willow Reply:

Hi Sarah,

Bought it years ago! But I think Ikea has a white slipcovered headboard that would make the same statement if combined with stripey pillows etc.

Hope that helps!

Happy weekend.

Mon, Splendid Willow

• Amber says:

I love William’s room! It is just the perfect little space for a boy. I just picked up some wooden crates and have been looking for some ideas to turn them into toy storage and your post has given me the perfect inspiration. I wrote about your crates on my blog today for Inspiration Wednesday. I’d love for you to stop by sometime!
    – Amber @jRoxDesigns