Jun
2011

I Spy Beautiful Rugs In Portland

I just got back from a trip to Portland, OR. (I will tell you more about my trip in my next post). My wonderful sister-friend Kendra took me to the Pearl District for some lunch and from the corner of my eye I noticed a rug store in a wonderful warehouse setting. The name is Kush Carpets, and it is a local Portland store offering handmade rugs from all over the world, with quality and eco and social environment in mind. I just had to pay a visit.

I had a little chat with one of the store owners, Rebecca, and I must say that I was quite impressed. Rebecca, together with her business partner Brian have been in business for a decade and many interior designers team up with them — and rightfully so. They offer a selection of stunning, handmade rugs of very nice quality. (The pictures on their website do not even do the store justice). Trust me when I say that there are literally hundreds of stunning art piece you just want to take home.

I really took a liking to these felt rugs made  in Kyrgyzstan. They are known as “shyrdaks” and use shapes from the natural and spiritual worlds. The designs represent harmony and coexistence. I wouldn’t mind one of these.

Hard to not like this Suzani patterned rug. For $6000 it wasn’t exactly a steal but it is so beautiful.

The owners scout the world to find hand-spun wool and resilient dyes in modern area rugs and traditional oriental carpets to add to their unique collection of hand-knotted carpets. Kush also offers custom designs.

I ran my hands through a very similar rug (below), and what a feeling. It felt so incredibly soft — like butter. Amazing workmanship and material. Imagine landing your feet on a piece like that when you wake up in the morning.

Another lovely carpet is the Antique Agra. It is hand-knotted in China with hand spun wool. The field and the patterns are hand-trimmed, giving the rug real depth and texture ( looks even better in real life). .

Rebecca was one of the designers behind this contemporary rug. The design is based on a photo of a rusted fence dripping down on a concrete wall. The rug is hand-knotted with Himalayan wool in Nepal.

Once you get a chance to feel real quality carpets, it is hard to want anything else.

I am so going back to this store on my next visit. And if you ever visit Portland, I recommend you do the same. You will not be disappointed.

Thank you for all your sweet comments & e-mails regarding our Swedish midsummer tradition. It warms my heart to hear that so many of you are interested in learning more about my culture. I am a very proud Swede!

Warm hugs to you all!

All images via Kush Carpet.
Written by Splendid Willow in: Designers, Illustrators, Photographers, Stylists |

Hey there girlfriend and welcome back! xx

I hope the trip was nice and that you had fun with Kendra. I look forward to hearing more about all the fun you guys had.

What a fantastic shop. So many treasures.
    Rugs is an area I need to read up on – so important (can make or break a room!) yet so complex.
    I agree that authentic rugs make a big difference – I grew up in a home full of fantastic originals and have seen these grow more beautiful with each year added. My parents used to have them cleaned through ‘ash brushing’. Apparently the authentic way of cleaning a valuable rug. Just clean ash worked through the tuft/weft – nothing more nothing less and certainly no chemicals!
    Sometimes the precious creations also had the pleasure of resting on top of a layer of snow on a really clear and crisp day – this kills any dust mites and also restores the freshness of the rug.
    Old ‘haus frau’ tricks and wisdom..!

OK my dear. I will touch base via email in a few days. Am at the tail end of the Swedish packing. Then a couple of days break before I do some of the UK packing. Then I am taking the whole of our last week here off. So much fun to have before we go and the kids are on school holidays as of Friday this week. YAY!

KRAM KRAM

Xx C

Oh, my….now I MUST visit Portland, too!! The rugs you showcased are just treasures! franki

• Sherry Hart says:

Love Portland and those rugs are pretty great. Also can’t remember if I congratulated you on your spread in Rue. Your home is beautiful…..so much talent and a great eye for styling! Hope your summer is going well.

• Karena says:

Mon, I am just thrilled to see these fabulous rugs, works of art indeed. That Suzani is a dream! Thank you for sharing!

Karena
    Art by Karena

I have a New, very fashionable Giveaway on my site! Come and enter!

• I love shipping in the Pearl District and just LOVE Portland! As for a fabulous rug, I wish I had the extra cash to buy a really good one! But with a dog who loves to lay on area rugs instead of his bed, I end up having to buy el cheap rugs.

• Looks like they have a collection of unique rugs. So beautiful. The Suzani is so eye catching!

• gillian says:

These are lovely. Great find.

• Julie says:

These are so pretty! My fav is the Gingko rug for sure…I have two of these trees in my yard and find the leaves so beautiful! Hope you’re doing well lady…looks like you’ve been having a lot of fun!

• the rugs are truly art pieces, and i think if if i owned one i would be tempted to shoo people off them! this reminds me of another swedish kinda thing my parents and i have: no shoes in the house. i have been surprised how many people don’t get this and take offense. i once displayed a little sign in my entry that said something to the effect: please remove shoes. i like you. i just don’t like the staph germs on the bottom of your shoes (now that’s ROMANTIC!)

• These rugs are lovely and I’m imagining running my hands on them… butterrr!

Funny I’ve been talking about rugs too today!

Hugs hugs,
    Meera xx

Fabulous rugs – so glad you had a great time in Portland. Let me know how it goes with the muffins :)

Splendid Willow Reply:

Ewa, the muffins are in the oven! I used sour creme but I wonder If I should have used ricotta instead… Elsa & William are my perfect helpers!

Monika with her great eye! Your blog is the best source for all things unique and classy.

JC

• joanny says:

I can’t believe this — I was just looking at this shop the other day when we parked almost right in front of it when we went to the Gerding Theater at the Armory to see ” A Night with Janis Joplin” Not in the market for area rugs at the moment, but one never knows.

Welcome back from you wonderful trip.

joanny

• Ok…this is SO beautiful!

• Laura Casey Interiors says:

What beautiful rugs!! Thanks for sharing the source!

• they are fabulous, Mon! I’ve never seen similar to these rugs in Germany. b e a u t i f u l! BIG hugs to you

• I always try to pop
    in it’s own way. I
    can see why you came
    away inspired by it!
    xx Suzanne
    PS: Loved your sweet
    home in Rue.

• I think the moroccan one is my very favorite. I bet it does feel wonderful. Why can’t I have great rugs shops like this near me?

love, donna

• Meredith says:

Hello Monika,

I just discovered you through Rue and I’m liking what I see!
    We are getting ready to move to the Seattle area from Salt Lake City.
    You mentioned in your Rue interview that you found a very kid-friendly neighborhood in Seattle.
    My husband works in Issaquah and we are trying to narrow down our home search to a great, kid-friendly (and stylish for my sake) neighborhood. May I ask the where-abouts of your neighborhood or others like yours?
    Thanks… I’m a new fan to your blog,
    Meredith L.

• quintessence says:

Looks like a fabulous source for beautiful and unusual rugs!!

• that gingko rug is gorgeous! xx