Jun
2011

I Go Nuts For This – A Summer Herb Bench

Only one main image today friends — but I find it tremendously inspirational. A must try for me for sure!

Well of course! Why did I not think of that! I got very inspired when I saw this. Look closely – a simple bench to display planted herbs and a few veggies. A little corner to tend for some organic plants with aromatic goodies to be used in summer cooking. I am pretty hopeless with anything green but I have learned that if I gather plants/flowers in one collective area — then I tend to not forget them. (I need to see a forest in order to see anything it seems…).

So to me this is a brilliant idea!  Friendly, functional and so pleasing on the eye too. And it works in both large backyards and on tiny balconies.

For a little bit of organization these chalkboard plant markers from Crate & Barrel might come in handy.

Or why not a chalkboard rock project together with kids or friends?

Admit it, these are pretty tempting summer projects — even for you!

Inspiration for this post via Purple Area. Images: no. 1 via Purple Area, no. 2 via Crate and Barrel, no. 3 via Just Organize Yourself.
Written by Splendid Willow in: I Go Nuts For |

Ha! Lucky commenter no 1 for a change..! :)

I think your inspiration picture is PERFECT dear sis and I too spent a happy long moment staring at it, letting my Summer deprived brain soak up the detail and all the possibilities.
    I too am pretty lousy when it comes to keeping herbs and plants alive. I have ONE single plant in our house that I have managed to keep alive AND happy for a whole FIVE years, and it’s because it was given to me by Marshall as an anniversary present.
    Outside, I have only two things that have thrived in my care over the years. One is a palmtree that I bought in my very first week of arriving in Sydney – I refer to it as my ‘Australian roots’.
    The other one is a ever growing ‘Frangipani Tree’ (I love them!) that Marshall gave me when Oscar was born – my ‘maternal roots’.
    It will be impossibly hard to leave these three behind when I move.. If you lived here I’d give them to you as a sign of our friendship. xx

Skriver till dig snart. Har alltid tid för dig min vän – är aldrig för busy för mina närmaste vänner!

Bamse kram

and pizza herbs: basil,
    oregano, parsley, garlic
    chives and another with
    misc. herbs: pineapple
    mint, lemon thyme, rosemary
    and lavender. Similar
    to the bench idea; keep ’em
    all wrangled together….
    But not as cute!
    xx Suzanne

• Livelikeyou says:

I want to be like that!! When I see that I’m in awe of people who get it together like that!! Maybe one day there’s hope for me. I was just driving around with my mom, she said “Jill I don’t think you notice flowers and plants the way I do”! Sadly I don’t – but I aim to draw them in to my focus. Sweden is amazing! I would love to stay here all summer!

• Sherry Hart says:

I’m with you. When I bring a plant in this house I know it is doomed! That is the cutest bench full of herbs and such. Might give it a try.

• lucille says:

I love the crocheted pot covers. Is there a pattern or were they purchased?

• DO IT! and i do love those stone markers.

i have two flower boxes (one on my kitchen window) filled with herbs. i love stepping out and snipping and throwing them into whatever dish i’m whipping up. i have even grown veges in my little boxes and they of course were the most delicious i have ever tasted.

love to you.

• I think this is brilliant! I was at a girlfriend’s home on Saturday evening and was delighted with all her herbs (which have quite taken over her real garden) and now you’ve inspired me to DO something about my design. Even I can manage this little bench. xx’s

Love it – i have already planted my herbs for the year – most of the are in ONE big pot and then some in my vegetable garden. Have a great week!

• I’m going nuts for this too. I have a little herb garden off my kitchen. One of my favorite spots. I have a small stone bench in this garden that our rock contractor gave to me as a gift when we built this house. I was so touched. I have a few potted herbs under wire cloches on it. I’m crazy about the painted rock idea. I’m going to remember that little project when I get some time. Thanks. Mona

• Mine are flowering I am embarrassed to admit! My cilantro has lovely white blossoms…I guess that means I need to actually eat the stuff.
    Hugs to you!
    Amy

• I love that gray/black knitted basket holding the pots – nice to add some organic texture back to the mix!

• Kicki Ek says:

Monika!
    Me like this!
    Big hugs!
    Kicki

• I love it! I had gardening (ie weeding, mowing, maintenance) but I love a container garden – especially herbs since I love to cook – so this would be perfect for me!

I will steal your idea, Monica! Terrific!

JC

• Hi Monika, I’m so glad you’re back and I’m sorry to hear about your mom. I hope she likes her new home. It’s so hard having aging parents. I know. I saw the spread in Rue Magazine and your place looks fabulous!

p.s. great idea with the chalkboard rocks. I collect rocks but I just write on them using silver and gold pen and leave them around the house to write messages for my husband.

• This is a great idea, Mon! I especially love the little plant markers from Crate & Barrel. xo

• mon, what a wonderful idea. i love collecting my greens in one place too but i STILL forget to water them. perhaps arranging them in this stylish manner would help. abs loved this post!
    working on the 5th look and it reminds me of you. you’ll see why later.
    hugs and kisses.

• I love these. I have some herbs at home, like ciboulette, oregano and thyme. wish I had more! xo

• designchic says:

Just love the bench and the chalkboard plant markers are wonderful. Now if I could just get my herbs to live…

• Very cool~and functional too since the bench means you won’t have to bend over so far to clip your herbs!

• love the idea of a herb bench! I am all about herb gardens. I love being able to out and pick my fresh herbs during the summer months. makes cooking just so much more fun. glad midsommar monika!

• […] Images: no. 1 via Photobucket, no. 2 via Desire to Inspire, no. 3 via Best b-Day Ever, no. 4 via Splendid Willow. […]