Apr
2011

Lovely Ways Of Displaying Plants Indoors

I have said it many times before — I am pretty hopeless with indoor plants (or plants in general). I really would like to be better at it. I so appreciate and enjoy plants and they are so good for the indoor air but I seem to have zero nurturing instinct as far as caring for them (the kids are pretty well nurtured, thank goodness).

I somehow have told myself that if I only had one spot dedicated to plants — then this would be an entirely different story. I would be so alert, I would never forget them! (Who am I kidding?). My Mom used to have a gorgeous Gustavian style plant stand with a zinc insert. (She later threw it away!). I like the  idea of being able to splash water without guilt.

In the latest issue of Living Etc I saw this pretty window box, originally meant for the outside, inside and dedicated for plants by the window. How clever and lovely! It also offers some leafy privacy.

I have shown this fantastic indoor gardening table before, hosting these stunning plants. How can you possibly forget to take care of your plants when you get to see this beautiful arrangement on a daily basis?

At Crate & Barrel I have been eyeing this Conservatory table (on sale right now) with a removable tray which I think would make the most perfect orchid table. I envision several weathered pots with lovely white orchids. (I seem to manage them better than green leaf plants).

If no tables and boxes will do, a cluster of plants placed in a decorative way like this is a lovely way to embrace greenery at home.

And why not settle for one dramatic statement piece! Different and lovely!

Speaking of lovely. Meera over at First Sense recently honored me with a blog award. Thank you! She is cute as a button Ms. Meera, and she has a really good eye for design. It is a joy following her inspirational blog!

My week has been insane. I will fill you in at a later time. For all of my readers who think that I have moved to a different planet, I am still here and I look forward to catching up on e-mails and visiting in blog land soon.

Happy, Happy!

Images: no. 1 via Bloom IQ, no. 2 Scanned from Living Etc (April 2011), no. 3 via Apartment Therapy, no. 5 via Martha Stewart Living, no. 6 unknown (sorry!)
Written by Splendid Willow in: Flowers & Ideas for the table |

Monika,
    This post of you is as fit to me right now!!!Jan and me were thinking about how to dispose some plants in our orangery. Especially we would love to have a sinas tree! Here you gave me the most wonderful ideas!!! Thank you so much my dear!!! Was this télépathie?????

I love your plant inspiration and remember that wonderful table so well. It went straight into my ‘style files’.
    I too am pretty hopeless with plants though have managed to keep a few a live over the years. More due to luck and love for all things living than ‘green hands’ and skill..!

The Crate & Barrel table is wonderful Monika. I think you should get it. It would be fabulous for orchids, herbs or just generally as a quirky drinks’/bar table. I love it!

Am so excited that life is good for you. There is such lovely energy in your tone and I can’t wait to hear.

Biggest hugs
    xx sis

P.S. Sorry. Forgot to say congratulations on the award. You know how fabulous I think you are and I think you deserve every one out there.

• There I was, nodding in agreement and having a conversation with you in my head about indoor plants and how I love your ideas and that table, then WHAM, you mention me and my blog! I squealed audibly. I hugely idolise you and your incredible blog so this feels wonderfully unreal, thank you so much for the mention, sweet Mon! *hugs*

I hope you’re having a lovely week!

Meera xx

• mydesignchic says:

Love bringing the outdoors in with plants, but I, like you, have a black thumb. I dream of owning a conservatory table, that I know would be beautiful for a week and then…

Hej Monika, my last ten days have also been insane, trying to avoid too much time on my computer with my mother in town-she is leaving today!! Sad. I’m also impossible with plants!! They always die, hate to admit but I mix in lots of fake plants. They don’t make a mess and they always look perfect….horrible I know.

• michele says:

i am a pathetic gardener, but this gives me hope. a girl can dream! that conservatory table from C&B. omg. i can totally imagine that in my possession!

does my self-deprecation get old? I’M VERY GOOD WITH FERNS!

• Big congrats on the award, you SO deserve it! Even while you’re saying how busy you are you manage to post something beautiful & interesting. xx’s Marsha

Monika – I love that tabble with all the plants – that is so me :) Wonderful post!

• Michelle says:

I love the conservatory table with the herbs…. something wonderful and practical. Great inspiration!

• Whenever I buy a new indoor plant it screams the whole way home. It knows it’s about to die…

• If it makes you feel better, I have killed MANY plants. I just don’t have that green thumb. My husband on the other hand is fantastic with plants! I love the idea of putting them all together. I think it makes such a beautiful impact. I hope you buy that piece from Crate & Barrel just so that I can see what you do with it :)

• Stephanie R. says:

this is great! i LOVE having plants around the house, and now i have so many ideas for how to display them. :)

• Love the conservatory table, Monika!

• Dying to get my plants up and blooming. We are just seeing the first new growth in the NY area. Yay! Thanks for the gorgeous inspiration!

• Monika, this post is like therapy to me, I am so happy to know that I am not the only one who has troubles keeping plants alive! I love them but boy, I’ve had a few bad experiences. Needless to say a couple of fakes reside in my home :) Hugs,
    Nancy xo

• Style Attic says:

Hi Mon! Well, I think a plant shivers in it’s pot to see me coming. I can seriously shorten it’s lifespan once it’s in my care. Funny thing is I really love them…just love them to death. I have never been much of a green thumb, but I always enjoy it :) Love your collection of inspirational photos here. Est the last entry shot, just simple and simply GORGEOUS! Love, Kelly

• blue fruit says:

I have a green thumb for the garden, but a very black thumb for indoor plants, sadly!

That notwithstanding, I do love to see other people’s happy plants inside.

The little silver pots in the first image are fabulous.

• Tina says:

Hej kära Mon!
    Oj, här fanns mycket att ta igen. Lillkillens rum ser jättefint ut, dina val av tapeter är spännande(ser fram emot att få se mer) och i detta inlägg- så mycket skönhet! Älskar bilden med fladdermusfåtöljen, men också resten!
    Jag har inte heller någon god hand med växter och blommor. Orkidéer är det bästa alternativet för mig, de behöver i princip ingen skötsel alls, jag kör igenom dem under kranen rejält någon gång i veckan eller ja, i alla fall varannan var tredje:)…
    Önskar dig en skön och härlig helg. Här hemma i Sverige är det vårvarmt och solen skiner, jag bara njuter!
    Kram, kram
    //Tina

• Monika,
    I think you and I had the same week! I hope your weekend is better,
    Amy

• I love anything green. It just makes me smile. Loved the boxwood balls and the mass of herbs on the zinc table. All lovely. Have a great weekend. Mona

• i’m no good at the plant thing. i’m lucky that my mr has a green thumb and takes pride in it. 😉 hope you get to enjoy your weekend without any craziness. xo

• paula says:

this all looks so beautiful! I am slowly making a table like this but outside, a la Velvet and Linen. Love the piece from crate and barrel. so need to find a spot. ha.

• Love the idea of a conversatory table..my mother in law does something like this and it looks so pretty (when they bloom that is but she is very determined and sees them through no matter and they normally do not disappoint her) it looks so pretty and once you find the right spot…it can normally bestow beautiful rewards and blooms!

• I love that tray from Crate and Barrel and the idea of filling it with orchids.

• We absolutely love indoor plants; however, face the same challenges as you. However, love them so much…we don’t stop trying. Inspired me to head out later to buy some new one.
    Have a wonderful weekend!!!

• tinajo says:

Love these pics Mon – and it IS an inspiration for me who has an habit of killing all my plants..! :-)

• Hi Mon, I am not the only one who has troubles keeping plants alive? :-) I even get a book about that but it didn’t help… the idea with the conversatory table is wonderful. Love indoor plants. Beautiful photos. Wishing you a creative and lovely new week

• Monika, I love this post! The first image is absolutely beautiful, and that box would be amazing in my front window bay. I am definitely going to check out that idea. You have inspired me!