Apr
2011

My New Therapy – Hanging Wallpaper

As you learned in my previous post, I am not very good at painting walls. There seems to be a clear disconnect between me and my vision… But I have found another home improvement hobby that I am really hooked on — putting up wallpaper. And without any help, I am proud to report.

Ever since my dear friend Ingrid came to my home and helped me put up this classic Hick’s Hexagon beauty in my foyer I felt that there was something very therapeutic about it.

It takes time, concentration and quiet. I like that. I get totally lost in the process and forget everything around me and thoughts that I may have been pre-occopied with. It is just me and the wall and a lovely pattern. It feels good!

Now, with a busy household of kids and animals running all over — I turn to my wallpaper projects after the kids are in bed and I work until the wee hours. I go to bed exhausted at times but always (so far) content and with a smile!

I am working on 2 small projects right now — and I am going to take my sweet time. No stress here. I want it to be perfect and that is also liberating. Otherwise I tend to want to have things done quickly.

I have bought my first anything with flowers on, I think. I am not a girlie girl. But I really wanted some flowers this time and this is what I came up with. I chose this pattern with a specific antique piece in mind. (The wall is actually already done and you will see it soon!).

Laurence Llewelyn-Bowen designed the wallpaper for Graham and Brown. It is called Shantung (in chocolate brown).

The second wallpaper I could not find in the US so I hopped over to Bodie and Fou in London and purchased this vintage bookshelf wallpaper which is going to be an accent wall in a room I have never shown you before. Pretty cool, don’t you think? (No, this is not instead of books, folks — my home will always be filled with lots of good, real books. They can never be replaced).

I recently came across this FANTASTIC metallic grass cloth wallpaper from Crezana Design. Out of this world stunning. Can I find room for it at my house? I feel it has my name on it. How many different wallpapers can a home take?

There you have it  — my new way of filling my head with good thoughts and erasing any daily tension and stress — wallpapers and wallpapering!

Happy new week to you all.

Images: no. 1 via Flickr, no. 2 via AVL Furnishings.
Written by Splendid Willow in: My Home |

Hej min skatt.

How exciting that you have found a creative outlet that allows you to express yourself creatively, and relax at the same time. It’s such an important aspect of life don’t you think!? x

Tusen tack for namnet pa ‘the metallic grass cloth’ pappret. Jag visade ett rum med det for lange sedan (kommer inte ihag nar) och fragade mina lasare om nagon visste vart det kom ifran. Ingen visste, men sjalvklart vet du. Jag alskar det och drommer liksom du att en gang kunna satta upp det i mitt hem, men forst maste vi kopa oss ett sadant.. Som du vet hyr vi bara, da planen alltid har varit att resa nagra ar till. Sen ringer jag dig och sa kommer du och hjalper mig satta upp harligheten – for att tapetsera ar inget jag kan alls. Ar hopplos vad galler san’t.

Hope all is well all the way over there in Seattle.
    Tanker pa dig.

Kram
    sis

I LUV wallpaper….there, I’ve said it. Yes, I’m a believer…the wonderful new designs (Crezana)….how DO THEY DO that. The depth and shades to say nothing of the multitude of “sins” wallpaper covers is heavenly. Looking so forward to seeing your project. franki

• mydesignchic says:

So wish I could get hooked on hanging wallpaper…great hobby!! I’m now obsessed with the metallic grasscloth!!

I cook :) That is my therapy.

I love all the wallpapers – the bookshelf is VERY cool. Can’t wait to see it.

• michele says:

loving loving loving this post, mon! really. so inspiring. didn’t know there was such a thing as metallic grass cloth wallpaper! maybe for my book shelves. i used a lot of wallpaper in the past, but none in this house and certainly nothing as artful as those you’ve highlighted.

yes, therapy. i get it. it’s how i feel when i’m painting and creating. so good for you.

i will be returning to this fabulous post!

have a great week, gorgeous.

• I totally suck at wallpapering so respect to anyone who can do it… without help as well! I just adore that metallic grass cloth wallpaper! What a fantastic find!

• Joe C. says:

Hats off! I would have to hire someone… Lovely patterns you are showing. The vintage bookshelf wallpaper is tres chic!

• That floral is pretttttty. I admire you for tackling wallpaper – its the one thing I’ve never been gutsy enough to tackle.

• Love all of those wallpapers. The bookcase paper is amazing. I’m really into paper right now as in literally. I’ve had a stack of books all around me this morning searching for a client. This was my much needed break to clear my head. You are a very industrious girl. I cannot even imagine hanging the paper myself. Looking forward to the reveal. Have a great week. Mona

• Zyprezz says:

How cool!! You are sooo skilled, I hate putting up wall paper, don’t have the right tecnique, I think…lol..I have to paint instead….

Your are really showing some beautiful ones, hard to choose…which goes for so many furnitures and items too..can’t have them all!!

I wish you a great week, my sweetie, happy wall-papering therapy time!!

Lots of hugs from Ingrid :)

• can’t wait to see your new walls. that metallic wallpaper is stunning! you need to find a place for it! 😉

• Sheila says:

They are all beautiful. The metallic grasscloth is to-die-for!! Love it!

Sheila

• Gina says:

Hello Mon!

How are you feeling?? I hope you are doing better or at least getting some answers on your health. Love the wallpaper! Cant wait to see the finished walls.

Big hugs,

Gina

• Mon, love your choices here! I have got to get mine ordered this week. It’s on the list, although I probably won’t get to it until Friday.

Seems to me your on a roll of inspiration!! Love the wallpaper. Love that you do it at night after kids are asleep. Isn’t it funny how after the house is nice and quiet, your thoughts are your own and how your inspiration just flows? It’s such a pity we have to get up at 6am and start the day all over again, living in an eternal exhausted state…at least me!!!!

• Style Attic says:

Oh my goodness, I just love you for this! I have had a hankering to do the same!! Now I feel like maybe it is possible. I have so many places I would like to work out some wallpaper 😀 This just brings a smile to my face thinking of you…and the wall….and the paper….as one. Trifecta! XO, Kelly

• Mon, I’m totally with you on the therapeutic nature of doing something that blocks out all other thoughts. Love the wallpapers you’ve picked, especially the metallic grass cloth! That image blew me away too and I have decided that one day I will have metallic grass cloth somewhere in my home!

Thank you always for your company on my blog, I so appreciate it! Lovely to find you would be so handy if we took a trip to Italy to roam the flea markets :-)

Meera xx

• I could never put up wallpaper…I am not good at cutting? Painting is easier for me…isn’t that funny how we are all wired differently? Hope you are well! xocc

• Monika,
    Beautiful choices! I am a huge fan of wallcovering.
    That being said, you always have a place at Martineau Vermillion if you want to come hang!!
    Happy Tuesday,
    Amy

• a roll of inspiration, Mon! the way you write and all those images are somehow unique…can’t wait to see your new walls. many, many hugs to you

• Julie says:

Wow, you’re patient! I’ve never tried it but I always hear that it takes time and patience. It’s nice to see wallpaper over just painting sometimes…enjoy! Hope you’re doing great!

• oh Mon, that is such a fun project. I am terrible at painting etc but am always dreaming of adding more wallpaper to my home. Can I come over and watch?

• I have always loved the paper in your entryway. That and the way you styled the chest. Just noticed that the lamp is in the center of the chest…I really like that. After seeing that gray/silver metallic paper, I am hooked, too.

donna

• Lana says:

Looking forward to seeing all your hard work! That grass cloth wallpaper is FABULOUS, you simply must have it! Thank you for the lovely birthday message my sweet friend!x

• Oh my!!! Crazy about the metallic grass cloth!

• Janell Beals says:

I can’t wait to see what you’ve wallpapered and that metallic grasscloth is amazing! Janell

• Martine Louise Resnick says:

Love the wallpaper article! Especially the wallpaper artwork (second image). WISH I had more patience for this! Must spend some time and practice, practice practice!!! I also wrote an article on wallpaper this week on my blog, m

• Katrina says:

I love to wallpaper. I was intimidated by it before I actually learned how to do it but once I did it was so fun and looks great later. I don’t understand all these people stenciling their walls instead of wallpapering. Unless the point is to save money I find it much harder to paint and it takes much longer. I am all in for wallpaper!