Apr
2011

2 Cents On Lovely Design Trends (via fab friends)

If I could, I would have blog friends over for dinner all the time. There is so much talent to tap into and by nature I’m a very curious person. I love to learn.

Today, I am starting a brand new series, I’ve named:

“Two cents” on topics I personally want to learn more about.

This is as close to a dinner conversation as it gets with virtual friends.

I am kicking off the series with these four wonderful, kind, smart and incredibly design savvy blog friends. I seriously want to live inside their heads.

Today they are sharing 2 cents on ONE design trend which they have really taken to heart.

ENJOY!

P.S Can I tell you just how thrilled I am to start building an extensive portfolio on my blog with personal thoughts by really great & talented people! The button for this series will permanently be listed in the right hand column of my blog.

My 2 cents on a design trend I seriously heart; the perfect pairing of old and new, modern and vintage, sleek and rough … I can’t get enough of this beautiful layered look. It combines a good dose history with a touch of modernity. These rooms give us the feel that pieces have been added and altered over a long period of time, rather than selected from the same store and plopped into place all in one afternoon! I adore the tension between old herringbone floors and a clean-lined sofa, or the sparkle and shine of a crystal chandelier juxtaposed against a lovely raw wood table. This look is very fitting with the ‘Rustic Glam’ trend that has really taken off this year, and I have been itching to attempt a little bit of this striking contrast in my own home!

You will find the talented Nancy over at Marcus Design.

Just the word alone elicits feelings of grandeur and glamour. Say it quietly to yourself….gold. An instant feeling of warmth surely transcends. From the very beginnings of history, gold has signified wealth and prestige. Molded into opulent jewelry and made into furnishings fit for royalty, gold has always elicited great reverence.

It is this historical root that makes gold such a delicious trend. Timeless and safe from faddish whims, gold enjoys a stable desirability that makes it a perfect choice.

On a personal note, I’ve been exceedingly drawn to it recently because of its unabashed glamour. Gold makes no apologies for being what it is. Pure, sexy and undoubtedly gorgeous, this precious metal is the definition of confident style. Even a touch instantly elevates a space, a mood, a look to a place it couldn’t have reached without it. Gold. A trend that is by definition not trendy. And is thus, perfection personified.

You will find the talented Christine over at Bijou and Boheme.

A trend that I’ve been loving for a while is oversized drum shade pendants. I just love the great impact they make and also how versatile they are. They can work with any style of room and just about any space – as long as the ceiling height is there. Doesn’t the light just make this room? Short and crisp — my 2 cents!
You will find the talented Ally over at From The Right Bank.

More than a trend, a design principal that I much, much love is: layers, layers and layers. It could be applied to walls or on floors. There is no space-restriction issue involved in the process and it transforms a home instantly by adding interest to your existing colors and textures. It’s also an easy way to update your home year-round for the different seasons. Did you fall in love with a Kilim at the grand bazaar in Turkey? There is always space on your existing rug to layer it on. How wonderful is that?  The same case with a mirror, by hanging art or a contrasting mirror in front you are instantly creating that “behind the scene” feeling of expansion and dynamism that makes any home far more interesting and collected.

You will find the talented Julie over at Belle Vivir.

Thank you so much friends for sharing your personal design thoughts with us! I’m really looking forward to building a great archive on many topics from around the blog world. Perhaps enough so I won’t have to stress about going to all the magazines to keep current (ha!).

All of my blog friends will be involved — sooner or later. They are sitting on a wealth of knowledge and inspiration.

Warm hugs to you all.

Image credits: No. 1 (2 cents button) via Splendid Willow. Images via Bijou and Boheme: {via Elle Decor, Left in the Dirt, Pinterest, From Me-To You, Everything Fab, This is Glamorous,  World GalleryErin Ever After, The Die Line, Lonny, We Heart It, Design Crisis, Desire to Inspire}. Images via Belle Vivir: (no. 1 via Hamish Bowel’s house , no. 2 via  Michael Bruno’s house).
Written by Splendid Willow in: 2 cents | Tags: ,

44 Comments »

I’m so in love with eclectic rustic glam! Wonderful blogs filled with talent. THANKS! franki

• Brittany says:

Fab series!! Love the trends covered! There’s definitely some electic rustic glam in my style haha And layers are always the best :)

[Reply]

Darling I absolutely love this series!
    What a brilliant way to collect and curate a bank of blogger brilliance. And you are so right – there is a lot of it out there!

These girls rock. Julie and Ally I know, where as Nancy & Christine are new faces. Thank you for introducing them – I look forward to following their links.

Can’t wait to see this one develop. You rock baby!

xx sis

• Gina says:

What a wonderful post! I love learning about other bloggers and their design philosophies. Great series. Miss talking. How are you feeling??

• Tina says:

Mon! I am so looking foward to read more in this new series of yours. You always come up with such great ideas!!! I feel I´ve learned a lot already. Love the idea of layers and the gold has been seeking me up the past 24 hours(check out Charlottas post).
    The image with the oversized drum looks wonderful and I so agree with Nancy on the eclectic part!

[Reply]

What a fantastic new series Monika!! Agree so much style advice and cleaver ideas from the blogging worlds. Way more fun than the regular paper reads. Great idea!!

[Reply]

Brilliant! Only you can engage the community like that and provide your readers with the best. Really enjoyed reading this post. A large drum shade pendant is now on my wish list and a gold mirror!

JC

• Jennifer B says:

I love the new series and of course I found new blogs to follow! Thank you! :)

• Emma says:

Great thoughts from a terrific bunch of bloggers. Love this new series!

• quintessence says:

I love every single one of these beautiful design trends whether new or classic – all elegant, stylish and most importantly livable!!

• michele says:

ooooh, lovely post, M.! the rustic glam pics from Nancy sucked me right in. steel windows are so delicious. i do love coming here and never leave without a good dose of inspiration–always delivered eloquently.

[Reply]

• Absolutely LOVE this idea..how wonderful. You are like me, I was just telling someone I wish I could have a party….with all my new blogfriends, what a party it would be. Agreed…..so much to learn from so many interseting people from so many walks of life..thats what would make it such fun and why blogworld is sometimes more fun than “real world”….lol. Love all the trends and looks shown above…one is as pretty as the next. Thanks!!

• Julie says:

Love it! Love that you started this, and anything I can do to be involved and help I would love to! Can’t wait to see more!

Julie xo

[Reply]

• Thanks for having me here today, Mon! I want to have you all over for dinner at my place! xo

Splendid Willow Reply:

I will be there in a heart beat, Ally! Start planning!

ox, Mon

[Reply]

• Thank you so much for having me Monika- just love this new series- such a great idea to have a wide range of design inspirations to draw from! And I’m with Ally, a dinner filled with all bunch of design bloggers would be entirely too delicious! xoxo

• Julie at BV says:

Dear Monika,

It’s been such a pleasure and honor to be here with you and share my likes with these great and creative bloggers. Thank you for having me and for your friendship.

Hugs and kisses,

[Reply]

• GREAT series Monika! I am looking forward to more.
    Fun! Like a nice conversation with a friend.
    Best,
    Amy

• Bianca says:

Ok, I want that big antique mirror over my fireplace with that stenciling!!!!!!!! Will you go shopping with me? 😉

• mydesignchic says:

What a fabulous idea with four of my favorite blogs featured!!

[Reply]

• Monika, this new series is fabulous and I am so honored to have been a part of it, along with these other bloggers that I truly look up to! Thank you for your friendship, and my wish is that one day we really will sit down to dinner and discuss all things design!
    Hugs to you,
    Nancy xo

• Karena says:

Monika,

Great women bloggers with fabulous thoughts on trends they love!!

Thank you for the feature!

Karena
    Art by Karena

• liza says:

How much fun is this??! Thank you for gathering all these talents, Monika! So much fun to read their different answers, and to let it sink in that style is so many different things! It is really personal, isn’t it?! So many looks can be absolutely beautiful. I look forward to many more of these!

• The Zhush says:

WOW! Love each and every one of these ladies blogs…not to mention the trends that they outlined and illustrated so beautifully here! Which brings me back to Wow!

[Reply]

• I love all of these design trends and ideas. These women all have great style and I look forward to visiting their sites as well. I’m dying over the layered mirrors on that mantel. The whole thing is perfection!Mona

• Kathysue says:

This is a great series and it is fun to hear others take on their favorite design trends.
    Kathysue

[Reply]

• Great series. Love the impact of the photos, especially Marcus Designs. Thank you for the continued inspiration.

[Reply]

• Love this! And that you featured a few of my favourite bloggers, some who I can call a friend! Glad I found your blog, will have to add it to my growing list of amazing blogs to read!

• classiq says:

What a wonderful idea! Such an inspiration from all those talented bloggers! Ada

[Reply]

• Visiting from Belle Vivir. This is such a fun theme. Really enjoyed it.

[Reply]

• Hei Monika. Så hyggelig å høre fra deg igjen!! Må skrive norsk i dag, kjenner jeg… Utrolig bra serie du har startet, mye spennende og interessant! Selvfølgelig blir jeg med, det er en ære, men gi meg litt tid ettersom formen er litt opp og ned i perioder. Varme klemmer fra Norge – Laila

[Reply]

• A dinner party with blog friends sounds like the BEST fun! This is a wonderful series, Mon!

The Eclectic Rustic Glam is so totally me! I also love a little touch of gold and the layered look, and large drum shades are awesome!

Such fabulous inspiration here, I love popping by!

Meera xx

• kiki alvord says:

Only YOUUUUUUU!
    love it
    KIKI

• Jodi @garlicgirl.com says:

I love this series. I have a low attention span so I love the quick tips! I really like the idea of the over-sized shade! Love ya Mon!

• lark + linen says:

what a fantastic series! I highly enjoyed perusing through the minds of all of these fabulous bloggers

[Reply]

Such talented variety….. they are all so fabulous. I loved the mirror with the black wording.

• escapade says:

So fun! I loved this little virtual date with some online favourites! I wish you were closer and we could meet for coffee then peruse some favourite shops. I think we’d have such fun!

Hope you’re having a lovely week Mon!

• paula says:

love, love, and more love!

[Reply]

• crazy over this series, monika. I’m just back from the beach for spring break or totally would have been here sooner. trust me – this one’s a keeper. great job…

donna

• sherry says:

And the hits just keep coming…what a fantastic series! Really enjoyed reading what some of our other very talented bloggers think :)

[Reply]

• Such a wonderful idea, darling. You have a home run on this. I had to take time to absorb everything I was so worried I would miss something. Lovely lovely lovely.

[Reply]

• Mon, I’m trying to play catch up on my blog reading. Love your new series. So great to see what inspires others! xo

[Reply]

• What a great series!! As my schedule is a bit crazy, I LOVE the idea of the quick design snippets. These are all fantastic!

• Suzanne says:

What I great idea! I loved reading these ladies fab insights into some great trends. I am very much looking forward to reading more in this series.

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URL