Mar
2011

What Goes Around Comes Around

My kids are on Spring break this week — which means lots of play and fun family time (and many sleepovers = no sleep for me…).

The blog world is an endless source of inspiration for me. I learn something new, interesting and fun every day. When I started my blog I had no idea that friendship building was part of it. I feel incredibly blessed to have gotten to know so many talented and kind bloggers (and readers). And I hope to meet with many of them/you in person.

Do you remember my “In the Spotlight” interview with the talented Brooke with Velvet & Linen (read here)? Well to me, this was a one way street. This was about HER and her design philosophy. The next thing I knew she had mentioned my little store not once but now twice on her must-read blog (and I did not even see it until she gave me a nudge!). I went back to her and asked if she had gone totally insane! But she just smirked back and more or less said “just take it”!

I think I have been a pretty good supporter and business mentor to quite a few friends and colleagues starting their own businesses. But let me tell you, being on the receiving end of a totally unexpected outpouring of support for a little buiness start-up (this one came totally out of the blue and wasn’t linked to anything) felt pretty amazing.

Brooke even bought a pair of gray Ilse Jacobsen boots from my store. I sent the link to IJ’s US HQ. And we all agreed that she is the perfect llse Jacobsen model — modern & stylish. Note: this is what she looks like when she tends for her chickens in her stunning backyard!

I want to take the opportunity to once again thank ALL of you who in the past have offered support to my blog and my business adventure. I am forever grateful to each and everyone of you. Your generosity is never forgotten.

Earlier this week I had lunch with this stunning girl. Guess who it is?

Photo: Splendid Willow

The one and only Sarah with Haute Design. (Yes, that UEBER chic design blog – another must-read blog).

We have known each other for a good while and have built a very solid friendship which stretches itself outside of blog land. Sarah resides in Vancouver and came to Seattle for fun days with her family. Meeting her in person was no different than meeting her in blog land. She is exactly as talented, kind, generous, supportive and classy as you would imagine. What you see is what you get. I adore her and she will always have my 110% support. A few hours with her was nothing! We had such a great time and I am looking forward to many, many more happy and LONG meetings!

Here is another lady who’s friendship I treasure – Ms. Marianne with Style For Living. She has become a dear, local coffee friend and she is a hoot! She is talented, kind and also really witty and funny! She often tilts her head back and laughs out loud. She has the best laughter — and the best voice! (I tell her that she should be in the Radio or on TV!).

We look like complete nerds here (a rainy, ordinary day in Seattle, folks) but don’t be fooled – we have a lot of fun together!

Photo via Frida, 9!

Some more Thank You’s are in order:

I want to, once again, thank Donna with A Perfect Gray who made the Perfect & Splendid Willow giveway possible. She received close to 300 blog entries and why am I am not surprised! She is rock star, friends! And just a kind, genuine and generous person. It is very easy to like her a lot.

Thank you to Ms. Amy Vermillion with Amy Vermillion Design who presented me with a blog award. Thank you very much! I have just recently met her in blog land and let me tell you, this gal has style! And she – listen to this – does interior design for private jets! That is a first for me! Follow her over here.

Next week I am back in full force again. I will then show you why William’s bedroom makeover seems to take forever.

And… I am also announcing a fun new series which I am really looking forward to myself. And all my blog friends will be called on – sooner or later! There is an awful lot of talent out there — and I plan to tap into it.

Cherry blossoms everywhere in Seattle. Love this time of the year! Warm hugs to you all.

Images via: no 1. via Flickr, no. 2 via ljword.
Written by Splendid Willow in: Thank you! |

• Nothing but pure loveliness in this fabulous post Mon! I adore Sarah and her blog, would love to have a chance to visit with her too!! Hope your week is well, hugs xo
    Nancy

• Willow Decor says:

Mon,
    So happy for you!! I love my new boots and I was so ultra chic in my brown ones in Aspen! So many women asked me about them!!
    xx-Gina

• thank you so much, monika. wonderful things are coming your way but they are so well deserved. enjoy your break with your family. love to you, donna

• Dearest Monika- you deserve every mention/ounce of support you get- you are one of the most supportive/sweetest/talented bloggers out there so congrats and giant hugs. I loved the photo of you and Marianne, your boots look gorgeous on Brooke and I really want Sarah’s hair- like really. xoxo

• It’s always so much fun getting together with you! Can’t wait for our next coffee date! You know I’m going to be putting that photo of us on my blog, I love it so. xoxo

• michele says:

the wonderful connections blogging has led to has also been surprising for me. hearing from some of my heroes always blows my mind. so happy your lovely business is getting the attention it deserves!

hugs.

Monica,

Splendid Willow is my daily pick me up!

Love your energy!

• Monika, I just adore you and feel the very same way! (I have an email headed your way this evening in fact) You are a friend for life and I feel so blessed to know you :)

much love,
    Sarah

• Tina says:

Blogland is simply AMAZING and we are All so happy to know you as well!!! And YES, what goes around comes back around- So, so true!
    Kram på dig fantastiska Mon:)!

• Monika,
    Thanks so very much for the nice mention and kind words! You are a doll and a tres stylish gal yourself.
    Many happy wishes for a wonderful time with your family,
    Amy

• Mia says:

Hi Mon
    Lucky you who have the opportunity to meet these talented and beautiful girls like Sarah (hope you gave her my best regards) and Marianne. I also wish we lived closer so we could see each other :)
    I have to read this post later today, now we’re going to Öland to deliver some paintings at Ekerum Konsthall.

Hörs,
    ha en underbar dag!

Stora, varma kramar

• I too could never have anticipated how much blogging would do for me. Meeting such amazing, talented friendly and like-minded people is absolutely wonderful. It’s great that you have met some of your blog-friends, I wish you lived closer!

Brooke definitely makes a lovely model for the boots, and your business deserves all the attention it can get :)

Congratulations on the award from Amy Vermillion, as you’ve seen I gave you the same one too! Your blog is truly a delight and such a huge inspiration to me.

Have a beautiful weekend, my lovely. I look forward to reading about William’s bedroom and also to knowing about your exciting new series!

Meera xx

A wonderful post of you my dear!This is really you!!! You are such a thankful person! I do hope we ever met in person!
    I am so glad to see Sarah here! She looks so lovely and pretty and kind!! I am a fan of her blog too!
    I am looking forward to see William’s bedroom make over and I wish you and your family a wonderful weekend!

• Monika, it’s great reading about your adventures and the things and people that inspire you! I’m so sorry I haven’t replied sooner, but so much has been going on these past few weeks and I’m constantly sick. I just got over that stomach virus and now I have a terrible cold, and my lung infection has returned and among all this I’m still working and haven’t called in a sick day. Also, so much going on at work….I’ve come to a really big decision,but enough whinging. I promise to send you an email this weekend with photos of the chalkboard wall and some tips on how to apply it, and to tell you about my plans.

Big big hugs my dear friend!! xoxo

• Gretchen O. says:

Monika,
    What a wonderful post. Doesn’t Brooke look just great with your boots on! You deserve all of the accolades, my dear:) Have a wonderful spring break (we have not yet hit the sleepover stage:) Those cherry blossoms are so pretty:)

• designchic says:

You so deserve it all, Mon…you’ve become one of my favorite, must read blogs as I grab morning coffee. Hope you’re having a wonderful “break”. Happy Friday!!

What a warm and heartfelt post Monika – so much love and good energy here. Of course ‘what goes around comes around’ and how could these lovely girls not be drawn to you – you are such a wonderful person, woman, mother and friend. I can’t speak for Peter, but I am pretty certain you are a brilliant and fierce wife too! :)

Brook looks wonderful in her boots and I can’t tell you how inlove I am with her chickens! Those little darlings have such amazing attitude don’t they! I want a bunch for myself!!

Sarah is adorable and her blog such a staple. She looks amazing in this picture and I love that hair colour!!

Marianne is new to me but reading this I marched right over to her corner of the bloggosphere and told her how lucky she is for being able to regularly give you massive warm hugs! I asked her to give you one from me next time you have coffee! xx

Donna. I adore this woman who is always so kind and thoughtful. I love her blog and sense of style. Her creativity inspires me, post after post, and it is such a privilege to count her to my close blog friends.

Darling. This was a wonderful post. I feel the love radiate all the way to Sydney.

Have a wonderful time with your kidlets. Hope you are enjoying sun and those gorgeous cherry blossoms!

xx sis

• Jennifer B says:

I love your blog and then I find two others that you suggest and now I love them too. It’s a never ending hop from one to the other, I’d LOVE to get paid to read these amazing writings, look at the drool-inducing pics and sip my french vanilla coffee. I’m gonna work on that… :) Tallyho!

• paula says:

What a happy post! adore all these ladies. Hadn’t realized sarah was a red head. ha.

yes. I would love the green drink recipe. I have one that I use, but am always up for a change.

• It was my absolute pleasure to post about my boots. I love them, and I adore spreading the word :)
    You are so sweet to include me in your post. I feel so blessed to have met you through our blogs. I look forward to getting to know you better and continuing our friendship.

xo xo
    Brooke

• Mon, pure loveliness! every time…just send you an email. happy friday!

Monika – You deserve it all!!!! Enjoy!

• Oh, how very fun and wonderful for you!! And yes, Brooke is way too cute while tending chickens. Seriously, how is it possible? 😉 Enjoy spring break … and the day when school starts again!!!

What a lovely post Monika. You deserve all the accolades. Your talent and depth of character and generosity of spirit is so inspiring and refreshing!! I agree the biggest surprise for me with blogging have been all the wonderful new friends I’ve meet. So can’t wait to meet some of the fantastic people I’ve met online, including you!! Time for some schanpps or glogg somewhere soon…
    I do need to get around to ordering those boots!! They are the best I’ve seen.

• lisasroy says:

Such a great post and all the shout-outs you’ve received are so well-deserved! You’re a lovely, supportive blogger and we all appreciate your visits, sweet comments and your posts are always inspiring. The gals you’ve mentioned are all great and I pop by their blogs regularly. Have a great weekend and thanks for that beautiful cherry blossom pic – just the right pic to start off the weekend! xo

• Isn’t that the
    truth?? I am a
    firm believer in 360 : )
    So happy that your new
    venture has been an
    AD-venture and that it
    is doing so well ~ congrats!!
    xx Suzanne

• Danielle says:

What a beautiful post Monika! And no you two do not look like nerds, in fact you both look gorgeous and happy…so delightful! I too love Spring, but am wishing it would hurry along as I have many a dresser and chair to paint and gardening as well. And because I am an avid gardener I need a good pair of rain boots…do you know where I can find the chicest rain boots around made from natural rubber ;)? Heehee, I’m savin’ up for some awesome boots. xx Danielle

• Hi Monika!
    This is great, not only are your Jacobsen boots very suitable for winter but also for summer months…So glad you are having such successs with this….As a shop owner I know how it can be. Brooke is a great model for these. And you have to give yourself credit, you picked the perfect product….. Congratulations…..Maryannexo

• Monika…we so enjoyed this post. It’s great to hear about all of your positve and wonderful blogging relationships. Enjoying reaading your blog!

• you deserve all the gratitude and happiness you’re getting! xo.