Mar
2011

I Go Nuts For Wingback Chairs In Dining Areas

Ok, that’s it. This image from Hoteliers Kit and Tim Kemp’s London Townhouse in the April issue of Elle Decor, sealed the deal. I am so going to try this once in my lifetime (and the sooner the better!):

A comfy wing back chair placed right in my busy kitchen. And next to it a pretty lamp (and a side table for that drink!). Hubby is a great cook and I love to hang out with him in the kitchen. He also likes to hang out with me or read close by when I am busy with the pots and pans. What a perfect throne in the kitchen!

I have for quite some time liked the idea of a dining area with a couple of his and hers wing back chairs. But as of today I will, without any hesitation, declare:

More inspiration:

Very pretty. But I am not so sure I would want more than 2 wingback chairs around a dining table. This is borderline to contrived for me.

Anna Spiro’s dining area is way up there on my list of lovely rooms.

It is time to scout the flea markets for a lovely chair to upholster! I have one pretty find at home that has been screaming for a makeover for a year and a half… Now it is time to find a companion!

Warm hugs to you all.

Images via: No. 1 (acorn) via Getty Images/Splendid Willow, no. 2 and 9 via Elle Decor, no. 3 via House Beautiful, no. 4  via Life As It Is,  , no. 5 Unknown – sorry!, no. 6 via Decorati, no. 7 via Real estate style, no. 8 via Decorpad, no. 10 via here.
Written by Splendid Willow in: I Go Nuts For |

Det skulle verkligen bli god mat i så underbara kök ! Eller fungerar det inte riktigt så ?? Det inspirerer i alla fall till stordåd.

Kramar

• heidi says:

agree, they work really well at the end of tables like your images here and mixed in with other chairs.

Hello my dear.
    I couldn’t agree more.
    Kitchens are usually my favourite room of any given house and I am a huge believer in making them more than just ‘practical’ (I feel the same about bathrooms!).
    Wingback chairs are beautiful and the first two pictures you shared today are fantastic. Any of those two kitchens would be a dream!

Big hugs and happy ending to the week.

xx sis

P.S. Hoppas dina sma ekorrar mar battre nu. Tanker pa dig.xx

• I LOVE the idea of a single wingback chair in my kitchen, so that I could sit there and direct the hubby as he cooks me dinner! Haha. Love this post :) xoxo

• we’re twins! I’m looking for one or two for my dining room as well. great post, monika.

donna

• Janell Beals says:

Love the idea, a couple at a table. I know you’ll find a great one somewhere! Janell

• OH! I am SOOOO with you on this one!! Love all the insp pics!

Monika – Love it, love it! And the blue dining room is my inspired dining room – My favorite picture here :)

• Ooh yes! Absolutely with you on this, Mon! Gorgeous set of inspiration here, especially that first picture which has me aspiring for a big enough kitchen to have space for a lovely wingback chair like that.

A wonderful post, sweet Mon!

Meera xx

So glad you pointed this out!! I have two wing chairs sitting in my garage that might just be the perfect dining chairs. I forgot to think of them that way. I do love the cozy unusual look of wing chairs for dining. Have always loved Anna Spiro and Windsor Smiths dining rooms!

• Tina says:

Oh, I absolutely Love this idea Mon!
    I would love to have 2 chairs like that around my dining room table. I feel very excited now since I am slowly making plans for my dining room(next to my living room) and will probably steal this idea right off:)! Thank you so much for not keeping all these great ideas to yourself:)!
    KRAM!

• michele says:

fabulous idea! really! i have a wing chair ready for upholstering, and i’m thinking Belgian linen cuz i’m super boring like that. maybe it’ll get parked in the kitchen! you posted so many amazing images i had to go back and ogle them a 3rd time.

i love coming here, Mon. thanks for such consistently splendid content.

• Monika,

This is one of those posts that makes my heart pound because I’m so in agreement and loving every image. The first image of the kitchen is just fabulous. Isn’t it amazing how warm and comfy that wing chair looks with the pharmacy lamp beside it? So simple, yet it makes the room.

When we first married 24 years ago, I had several wing chairs through-out the house. Slowly over the years I got rid of them. Can you believe it? They are one of my favorite things now. I recently purchased one with an ottoman at a flea market and recovered and skirted it. It’s in my office. My precious pup is there sleeping right now. It’s become her favorite spot.

Love, love this post. If you get a chance stop by today. Greet is sharing her take on Belgian gardening with us. It’s going to be my favorite post of the year. She is so warm and gracious. Just like you!!!

• paula says:

so much gorgeous inspiration. must not look too long or I will want to make changes in my home. ha.

• Alan Karlin says:

The look is fabulous, but I don’t find it practical. That is unless you have a servant to pull it out and push it in for you!

• Hi Monika!
    This was a gret subject for a post.!!!! I agree with you……. and these are wonderful examples of well done looks of wing chairs, being used in eating areas……..Love this! Gonna file it!!!!!!Maryanne xo

• Love it Mon! Just wanted to stop by and say hello, my dear friend! XX!

• Love the oval shape of that first kitchen – wow, really softens up the space! Let us know what you find!

• BLUE FRUIT says:

I always wonder how people keep them clean though, even though they look so inviting and comfortable.

I mean, they obviously don’t eat saffron~scented curry or tomato based pasta sauces….or maybe that is just my messy family??? Perhaps I better retrain them!!

• Zyprezz says:

Great post!!! I especially loved the first image!

Have a great weekend my dear!!

Hugs, Ingrid

Love the idea of having a wing chair in my kitchen, because as your Hubby is a great cook, well mine is also a (great) cook!! And on Saturdays, when we have a little more time to cook than we have on other days, I love to be together in the kitchen while talking and browsing a magazine,… So maybe I might think of a wing chair there! I definitely would go for the wing chair on picture 1!

Have a warm and sunny weekend my friend!!Talk to you next week!
    Kiss,

Oh I was forgotten to thank you for your so sweet comment on my interview on Mona’s post!! THANK YOU MY DEAR !!!

• Julie at BV says:

Absolutely and the side small table you said you would is exactly what I thought was missing when I saw this image. You know what a thing or two about comfort. hehe

• Tree says:

I just discovered your FANTASTIC blog through Velvet & Linen
    Compliments from your new devoted reader!

• Monkia…love, love, love the first and second pictures. This is a great look! Funny, we just used the picture of the sixth room in our recent post. We are looking for new chairs for the dining room. Great inspiration for us!
    Have a wonderful weekend!

• I do love the idea. But I am never sure how well they will actually work. Will they slide easily enough to get in and out. What about fighting over who gets the best seat.??

Christina

• Style Attic says:

Kitchen throne is the most perfect way to say wing back :) Even rappers know what’s up…”Baby got back!” Ha :) Getting punchy at midnight. Just wanted to say hello, I saw your post title and HAD to check it out. I was trying to check in for my flight back home tomorrow. Night! XO, Kelly