Mar
2011

William’s Bedroom Makeover – Blue Ceiling

The room is almost done! I will show you next week. It might not be high design nor super creative but I think it is very fresh and charming for a 3 year old little boy. And hopefully you will like it too.

Just wanted to share that I went with warm white walls and as a contrast I had the ceiling painted in a very soft, pretty light blue/gray. One of my readers actually planted the seed with the support of some of my closest blog friends.

A few weeks ago, I learned from my dear blog friend Laura that there actually is a term for blue ceilings (specifically porch ceilings). I had no idea! I dived into Laura’s educational blog post and this is what she wrote:

The name for the blue of a porch ceiling is ” Haint Blue“. According to Louisiana legend, a “haint” is a spirit or a ghost. The blue paint represents water through which evil spirits cannot pass. Some say a blue porch ceiling helps extend daylight as dusk begins to fall, and others still believe that it helps keep bugs away. When the tradition began, bugs were deterred by the lye in paint – today many theorize that insects do not nest on blue ceilings because they think the blue paint is the sky.

Interesting, right? In many homes of the south the tradition lives on.

And many designers have taken the blue ceiling idea indoors for an extra and unexpected pop of color.

Dear Charlotta sent me this  image. The room wouldn’t even be the same without the blue ceiling.

Admit that it is growing on you!

I don’t mind bringing some of that myth/tradition into William’s bedroom — more for pushing evil spirits away than the bug effect! William’s room already feels like a happy room with real good Karma!

Hope your week is going well.

Warm hugs to you all.

Images via: No. 1 + 2 via Laura Casey Interiors, No. 4 via Willow Decor,  No. 5 + 6 via House Of Turquoise
Written by Splendid Willow in: My Home |

Interesting to read my friend! I really didn’t know anything about these blue ceilings!
    You always learn a lot from other blogger friends, right?

• sherry says:

It is a very southern tradition…this painting porch ceilings….I am sure you will fall in love with how it looks…

It (the ceiling) is the “forgotten fifth” wall! franki

• I am so glad that Haint Blue can connect up to Wiliam’s bedroom! Can’t wait to see it. Thanks for including my post in yours!

• designchic says:

I adore a blue ceiling…so calm and relaxing!! Can’t wait to see the room ~

Thank You for this post Monika. I’ve been thinking of a pale blue for my bedrooms vaulted ceiling. Haint blue it is. You can never be protected enough from evil spirits! Can’t wait to see your little boy’s room. It’s peaceful, soothing and uplifting all at once.

• Bianca says:

I never thought about painting just the ceiling and I LOVE the idea!!

Splendid Willow Reply:

Bianca Dear, we missed you at the TR/X workout yesterday! I am getting hooked! (And I love the loooong coffee chats afterwords!). Monika.

• Julie says:

I really like that color…It’s perfect for a little boys room, also it looks really good paired with any wood accents! Hope your day is beautiful, friend!

• How interesting about the Haint Blue ceiling, learn something new everyday :)

All these images are beautiful, the light blue ceilings so unexpected yet wonderful! Completely love the third image – you’re right, the blue makes the room SO much more interesting and gorgeous.

The last dining room is fabulous too, the colours and light pendants are lovely!

Look forward to seeing William’s room, I’m sure it’s delightful!

Meera xx

• Ann says:

Never new that but what a great story. That first image and is sooooo gorgeous – I want that porch. Thanks for the history.

• michele says:

Mon, cannot wait to see his room! i knew about this southern tradition, and maybe because all of my relatives hail from the south, i am totally feeling it. love it. a hushed blue i have used with success is called NURTURE (Glidden).

your visits to my blog make it more special–thank you for your encouragement and energy.

i treasure this splendid blog!

• I love haint blue. You see it everywhere in the south. I first fell in love with it when I was in Charleston a few years back and heard the story behind it. It was everywhere and I loved it. I’m sure it looks fabulous in William’s room too!

I won’t be able to make it Saturday.

xo, Marianne

• Oh, Can’t wait to see his room!! I adore blue ceilings and have never heard the term “haint blue” before. Great snippet to know – thanks for sharing.

• Emma says:

I had not heard of haint blue before! I love it when I learn something new and I think it would be a great addition to William’s room.

• quintessence says:

I love this and have used blue ceilings before. I was going to do it in my current kitchen but then decided to paint the walls blue instead!! I also love wallpaper on the ceiling – I’m thinking of this in a space in my house now – I’ve done it before as well and can be a charming touch. Can’t wait to see William’s room!!

• Piper says:

I absolutely love the pendant lights in the dining room – love that look! gorgeous inspiration as always

• Kimberly says:

What a wonderful idea! I love the light blue, blue/grey and think that it will look terrific with the white walls. I can’t wait to see it! :)

• Style Attic says:

Oh wow! I can’t wait to see it :) Haint on the ceiling has always been a favorite of mine!! I did it in our home when we moved in, but I went so light, it still looks more white than blue. All your inspirations images are AWESOME, but I know the best one will be your masterpiece 😀 XO

• Janell Beals says:

Well, I’m delighted to learn the history behind a blue ceiling…who knew! Looking forward to seeing the room! Janell

• Tina says:

I find this to be very interesting and inspiring, I like it a lot. Especially shown in that last pic, gorgeous!
    As you know, I have a thing for Blue going on so…
    I can´t wait to see the result on Williams bedroom, so exciting!
    Hugs!

• Haint blue is a beautiful restful color and yes it is all over the coastal South. Gotta keep away the bad mojo you know…
    Looking forward to seeing the completed bedroom for William. I am in the process of refreshing my three year old daughter’s room. Always a hard thing for an interior designer to do their own home.
    Thanks for sharing,
    Best,
    Amy Vermillion

• I had no idea either, so thanks for sharing with us all! I’m looking forward to the big reveal–I’m sure it’s going to be amazing.

• I love it! I’ve been thinking about it lately too, after reading an article last year in House and Garden about painted ceilings and how it adds character and depth to a room or hallway.

Hope you are well sweetie and have a wonderful weekend!

Det ska jag komma ihåg när jag ska måla ett tak nästa gång ! Härliga bilder.

Ha en skön söndag !!

Kramar

• Julie at BV says:

What a great choice Monika. I’m sure the result will be beautiful.

• I had no idea- love the look and the extra kharma piece is a definite added bonus- can’t wait to see William’s room!! xo

• paulap says:

I want to live in image #5. saving it to my one day file. happy you are feeling better. I now have the crud, boo.

• Kristy P. says:

The colors chosen in these selections are very calming and
    relaxing. I really love the blue especially because it relaxes any person that will be in there.

• That’s really fascinating – I’d never heard that before! I l really love the effect of these blue ceilings. I can’t wait to see Prince William’s room! :)

• blue fruit says:

Well that is fascinating!

I have been specifying pale blue ceilings for years, but, being in Australia, had never heard of this spirit story behind their use. The reason that I specify them is because they add a charming little flash of happiness to anyone who enters the room. Blue, after all, is the happiest of all colours representing both sunny days and water, so I find that a lot of people react positively to it.

Recently though, I have just had one of my client’s houses painted out in pale blue to all the eaves. It is a house by the sea, and the owners adore anything to do with water, so I figured having a flash of blue would link beautifully between sea and sky. {They love it, luckily!} I can’t wait to see your son’s room in images then ~ it sounds quite heavenly!

I love ALL of the images you have picked above!