Feb
2011

Domino Magazine Nostalgia – Part II

More Domino Magazine goodies, ripped out and saved in a large box — until now. You might remember some of these.

How brilliant! Dress up a “manly” file cabinet by making a photo copy of lovely wall paper and glue it on. (This I must try for my own home office).

Create your own, unique office desk by putting a glass top (can be found at Ikea) on a pair of architectural columns. I really, really like this idea!

Decorating on a shoe string budget but you still want something new and fresh. Why not paint  a canvas with a stencil (a few were used here) or simply stretch a pretty fabric over a canvas? Instant and unique art.

Lucky owner who found this mail caddy (that once used to hold mail and keys at a hotel in Paris) and turned it into shoe storage.

I remember saving this image for its composition but also because I loved that little square vase filled with fresh Freesia. I might go to the market for that alone tomorrow!

I am back from lovely Vancouver (we had so much fun!) with the most terrible sinus cold I think I have ever had. I am ready to chop off my head. I will be under the covers for a day while the kids are enjoying a school free day (or two) due to massive snow that just came down. The trees look so magical with thick snow on their branches!

Warm hugs to you all!

All images scanned from old Domino magazines.
Written by Splendid Willow in: Domino Magazine Nostalgia |

• Will says:

That shoe storage is brilliant, Mon!

Sorry to hear you have a nasty cold – warm hugs and get well wishes from across the pond!

Monika,
    That picture of the vases is gorgeous!! Indeed love it also for the composition!
    I hope you will feel better today my dear! I wasn’t feeling that well the last 2 days! But today I feel much better!!
    A warm hug to you!!

Oh you poor poppet. I hope the cold will wear off. Drink lots of cups of tea and stay snug inside.

I love your tear out reports. So much fun to look back at the fabulous Domino treasures, and to see how relevant they still are.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY to you once more. Hope the tea will be accompanied with song, cake and lots of love!

KRAMAR
    sis

• Love the cabinet and the shoe holder! Hope you will feel better soon, Monika!

• Abby says:

I absolutely LOVED Domino! I subscribed and haven’t been able to let them go yet! Every time I read or flip through them I fall in love all over again!

• Ingrid says:

Nice post! It is so horrible to have a bad cold, hope you feel better soon…God bedring!

Hugs, Ingrid :)

Feel better! Luke had 104 in fever all weekend. Everyone is just sick!! I still have a big pile of Domino Magazines-never threw them out.

• Janell Beals says:

Love the file cabinet, what a fabulous idea. Feel better and I think that snow is headed our way, but the kids just HAD three days off due to budget cuts! AND more next week, if we add in snow days…lordy, it will be time to begin home schooling! Janell

• I am sticking my head out of the covers….

Yes, Charlotta it is my birthday today – but I don’t celebrate them much anymore… I feel younger every year!

Thank you for thinking of me, though. Hugs.

• liza says:

Happy birthday!! I’m sorry you are sick – it is a bad winter for sickness, I think. I love your choices from Domino, particularly that desk. Love! And, I think your snow means big snow headed here over the next few days. Hmmmmm. I hope you feel better!

• michele says:

happy birthday!

loving these fab ideas. was just thinking about doing the wallpaper thing on my dining room hutch which needs some zing. thought i could adhere the copy to contact paper then apply for easy removal, yes?

• monika, you and I have domino on the brain….

I love that wallpaper-covered file cabinet…so stylish – and so inspirational

would you believe I don’t have a single issue of domino? what was I thinking? where was I? thank goodness I can see domino images on the net, and especially HERE!

love, donna

• LOVE-YOUR-BLOG, Monika! I’ve had a good old nosey around today and your inspiration is DIVINE! I’ve added you to my blogroll.

The papered cabinet and stencilled art are fabulous!

Hope you’re feeling better and HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! <:o)

• quintessence says:

So many great ideas – I still have stacks on Dominos scattered around the house – sometimes I can’t bear to tear the magazine apart. I ‘m so afraid I’m going to miss something or my taste is going to change and I will have thrown out something I later wanted.

• Happy birthday hun!! sorry to hear about your cold. feel better soon. Hope it doesnt affect your birthday plans. HUGS

• Kimberly says:

I LOVE the mail/shoe box idea! Wow! That IS a lucky and smart person; what a great idea! Now, if only a concierge and room service came with it!

Happy birthday! I am sorry to hear that you are not feeling good today, on your special day. I have something for you and will try to send it over later with one of the kids. Right now it looks too yucky to walk out. Definitely not sledding weather at the moment.

Feel good; I am glad you had fun in Vancouver,

Kimberly :)

• oh how i miss domino! is it your birthday? happy birthday to you..
    glad to hear all is good. xo.

• Fun Domino pics. They had so many fans it’s hard to believe they didn’t survive. I’m so sorry you are sick and particularly on your birthday. Get well and celebrate soon. You’re way too young to stop celebrating.

Sunny and bright here – haven’t seen the snow yet. Happy Birthday and hope you feel better.

• HAPPY B-DAY MONIKA! Oh poopy, I wish I new that you were in my neck of the woods! I’m glad you had a good time, next time let me know when you visit Vancouver :) Sorry that you are sick Mon, I hope that you recover quickly xo
    Nancy

• I bought a bunch
    of Domino mags on
    ebay last year and
    have them squirreled
    away for a rainy day…
    Like a box of good
    chocolates, I let myself
    enjoy just ONE now and
    then, to make them last : )
    Don’t think this issue
    is among them, so thanks
    for sharing yours! I
    hope you feel better. I’ve
    been battling sinus
    headaches off and on for
    the last couple of weeks.
    Sinus issues are very common
    here in the winter for a lot
    of people due to the dry,
    cold air : (
    xx Suzanne

• The Zhush says:

Love that shoe storage piece…and love that you are posting these!

• designchic says:

So sorry you are sick, but what a fun post for us. Love the file cabinet!!

• That Shoe storage piece put me in Awe! So in love!! I still have a few Domino’s floating around, truly was the best! Hope you feel better soon!

• LOVE that cabinet!! Hope your day has been superb:)

• Oh, will we ever stop missing Domino? I don’t see how. Take care, my dear, feel better soon! xo

• Tina says:

I love all of this! So many great tips!
    Seems Domino had a lot of great inspiration to share!
    Happy weekend Mon!
    Kram!

• Great list! The shoe storage is really cool. I’m sorry to hear you’re feeling poorly. I hope you get better soon and that your hubby and kids are taking care of you!

A BIG BIG WARM HUG! REESE

• Style Maniac says:

The demise of Domino pushed me to start my own blog–and I used the very same cover in my post about it. Although the mag is gone, I think the spirit of it has spread about the blogosphere in unpredicted ways and now lives on in so many blogs, sites and online mags.

• Hi Mon! I’m here for my trip down domino memory lane..how we all loved that mag-thanks for taking me there again! I’m goin gto pin your pice to my domino archive board on pinterest! I missed your bday! Hope you had a happy one! xocc

• Oh, just more reasons to miss Domino! Such smart, cool, clever, pretty ideas. Thx for sharing! And here’s hoping you feel better very soon!

• love that you are posting this, Mon! It doesn’t matter how many magazines are out there. We all miss the one and only – D O M I N O ! So glad about your comments – they are always lovely and fill with natural warmth. Glad to know you. Have a wonderful weekend!

• Julie at BV says:

Monika,

It still can’t believe that such a great magazine has folded. I keep all of Domino issues in my bookcase intact. The repurpose of the mail caddy is just brilliant.

• Hi Mon!
    So sorry you were sick in Vancouver. Love it there. I’m with Greet I love that pic of the vases…. Feel Better! Maryanne xo

• kiki alvord says:

Försenat grattis med dagen och krya på dig fort. Köp Dig en burk med Quercetin with Bromelain på Whole Foods eller PCC.
    Det gör att allt slemmet lossnar och kommer ut som ett vattenfall och allt tryck på dina bihålor går bort. Du får inget “örsprång” heller. Detta gav jag mina flickor
    jämt när de var snuviga och de fick aldrig öroninflammation och snuvan gick fortare över. Det är helt ofarligt och bara naturliga saker från växtriket.
    Det finns i äpplen bl.a.’
    Lycka till!
    Kram KIKI

• Katie*Belle says:

I so miss Domino. Thanks for the little flashback!