Jan
2011

Domino Magazine Nostalgia Part I – Window Treatments

Did we not all cry a little when the design publication Domino Magazine folded a year and a half ago? How were we going to survive? There are several terrific on-line magazines today (my favorites are listed under “Must Reads”) that fill that void to some extent but there is nothing like getting a great magazine in the mailbox. I just spent a week going through tons of Domino issues and ripping out articles I liked — before I plan to get rid of those magazines for good. And I am sitting on a pretty tall pile of goodness!

Since I am all in curtain mode thanks to William’s bedroom makeover (here and here), I thought I would share some brilliant ideas for window treatments.

This is a must try! And I plan to engage hubby. He gets to make a plywood box like this for me. A posh looking valance, don’t you think? Fabric was staple-gunned to the box and ribbon was hot-glued into a criss-cross. The box was attached to the ceiling with small L-shaped metal brackets. I am thinking I want to try this in our guest room.

Who says curtains have to match? Look at this orange-and-pink combination. It makes the room!

This is such a beautiful room. The cheery “Limoncello” curtains really add a lovely splash of color in the background. (White curtains would have been too predictable). Just a touch of mellow yellow. I like it.

I can not remember exactly who’s lovely apartment this belongs to. Only that the owner is a hip gentleman named Olsen. But I do remember that he took a plain white roller shade and painted black stripes on it! Can’t see the room without that brilliant touch!

Over time I will keep sharing other Domino articles that I have ripped out as inspiration for my own home. They are all classic ideas that never will go out of style.

And yes, I have the Domino book as well — The Book of Decorating. And it has tons of dog ears in it!

Warm hugs to you all!

Images: No. 1 altered via Splendid Willow. All images scanned from old Domino Magazines.
Written by Splendid Willow in: Domino Magazine Nostalgia | Tags: ,

• tinajo says:

Love these photos! :-)

• Mariana Jäder Näslund says:

Love the ones with color….I need it now…Kram på dig Monica

Oh yes, there were tears… In fact I don’t think they have stopped trickling yet.. :\

Loving that you did a big tear sheet session, and can’t wait to see what treasures you have selected for inspiration.
    These window treatments are wonderful and I especially love the hand painted blind.
    A similar approach was once taken for a childrens room I worked on. Only the blind was painted by the little boy whose room it was. It turned out lovely and was such a special addition to the room.
    I have never seen hand painted stripes before but love the idea. It could even look fantastic with a rough/uneven edge to the stripes (like in that painting Donna is going to attempt – do you remember?). Oh lots of ideas floating in my head now.

Thank you dear friend for the inspiration triggers!

Kramar
    x Charlotta

Hi Mon,
    I would never have thought about using 2 different colors for the curtains, but here you see that it is possible!
    Great post!!
    Love to you my friend!

• Marci says:

See I told you I’d be following along on the bedroom redo!
    For the first window treatment, you might want to check out “Little Green Notebook”. Jenny did a pelment box out of foam core board instead of plywood. Another reader used that foam insulation board. I thought both were pretty good ideas and have been looking for a way to use it in my own home.

• designchic says:

Oh how I miss Domino – too many of my favorite magazines have suffered during this economy. I too have a dog eared copy of The Book of Decorating…so much inspiration!!

• michele says:

i’ve done the upholstered valance thing quite a bit and love the illusion of height they create. so enjoying your blog! good stuff here.

hellolovelyinc.blogspot.com

Love. love the the box idea. Can’t wait to see what it looks like.

• mon, yes! I loved the youthful look of domino. still trying for it in my home.

• liza says:

I still have my Dominoes, too. Did you know you can see some archives now here: http://www.brides.com/about/domino-magazine ? I’m excited about your project!

• I’m loving so much the pink-orange combination lately. those curtains are simple divine Mon! xo

• lisasroy says:

I miss Domino!! the mismatched curtains are such a fun way to add a couple of accent colours to a room and so unexpected :)

• Style Attic says:

Hi there! I completely feel the loss too, along with the oldie but goodies like Southern Accents and House and Garden. Had I known, I wouldn’t have gotten rid of so many issues. The ones I kept are in a safe place now and I revisit them so often. Wonderful ideas and amazing execution of them never goes out of style! The painted shade I have tackled before and it looks really great. I used pastel colors, but that black and white have me wanting to revisit the past…that’s the theme right?! Love XOXO, kel

• I know, I still miss that mag so much, and yes my copy of the book is sitting ready on my coffee table any time I need a fix!! I was just thinking today about all of the lovely online mags, we are very lucky, but I too LOVE a magazine in my hands!!
    Nancy xo

• Mia says:

Love the yellow and pink curtains together :)

Vad roligt att du kommer till Sverige!! Vi ska till Stockholm 16-18 feb men då har du väl inte hunnit komma? Vore så kul att ses :)

Kramar Mia

• wonderful post, Mon! miss Domino too. I have the book too. I have been reading it so many times. Love the box idea. Looking forward to see what it looks like :-) Hugs to you

• paulap says:

I so miss domino. I purged about half their issues right before the fold. Still kicking myself over that one.

• Tina says:

Hi Sweetie!
    I am having a ‘blue period’ so that pic of the blue room is all for me right now! Love the curtains as well. Feels very unique! Can´t wait to see the result, using this idea for your guest room!
    Tack för härlig kommentar, du är så gullig!
    Happy weekend!
    Kram!

• Such a timely post for me. I ‘m thinking about some window treatments right now and these are convincing me to be a bit more daring.

• Melissah says:

I just discovered your lovely blog. I’m just new into blogging & have just finished off my own blog on fashion & interior design.
    I had a lot of fun putting it together maybe you would like to check it out if you have a spare minute.
    x
    Melissah

• Patrice says:

Yes, I absolutely loved domino! It was devastating to see such a great mag go away (tear)

• I’m feeling the loss of so many of the print magazines. I love the new online publications, but I love to look at my favorites over and over again. I just don’t find myself doing that with the online publications. Happy Sunday! Mona

• Leigha says:

You have me so nostalgic for Domino. I really wish I had kept all my issues…I only regret recycling when it comes to Domino issues.

Leigha

• Julie at BV says:

I still miss it Monica. I feel it was the magazine more target to young people. That field still empty although I agree with you there a lot great new website magazine that are great.

P.S. If you are coming to NYC please let’s get together.