Jan
2011

Silhouettes Are Stronger Than Ever

Happy new week everyone & Happy Martin Luther King Jr. Day to my US friends. The trend with silhouettes displayed as wall art seem to be stronger than ever. And it is far more than the classic black on white color schemes. Silhouettes today come in all different colors and are often mixed with pieces from different eras together with DIY paper cut outs.

The wonderful Canadian born artist Carter Kustera gets a lot of recognition for his more modern and colorful silhouettes. (His art titles are always so witty). Pricey perhaps but oh so lovely.The term “silhouette” originated in the 18th century and is applied to portraits or other pictorial representations cut from thin black cards. You can see the outline and a featureless interior.

Image via Peggy McClard Antiques.

In America, silhouettes were highly popular from about 1790 to 1840. The invention of the camera signaled the end of the silhouette as a widespread form of portraiture. But the popularity of the silhouette portrait is being reborn in a new generation of people who appreciate the silhouette as a nostalgic way of capturing a significant occasion. I am one of them!

When I put up a piece of lovely retro Hick’s (Hexagon) wallpaper in my foyer, I quickly decided to extend some of that wall paper to the other side of our stair case and use it as backing for the hand cut silhouettes of my three children. If we ever move I will carry both the artwork itself and some of that lovely wall paper with me!

Before I let you go today, I would like to aknowledge these lovely blog friends. Last week they all individually awarded me with the “Stylish Blog Award”. Thank you from the bottom of my heart! You are all very talented and I love following your blogs. (They are all on my blog roll). I hope you don’t mind if I refer to my earlier posts about myself. (Here and here).

Dear Designer’s Blog

Live Love Small

Live Like You

Love to you all!

Images: No.1 via Say Yes to Hoboken, No. 2-4 via Apartment Therapy , No. 5 via Apartment Therapy
Written by Splendid Willow in: Art & Antiques,Thank you! |

• Will says:

Happy Monday, Mon! I too have been noticing these silhouette designs – I love the collection of different shapes and sizes in small frames as a cluster on the wall.

I hope all is well in your world; hugs from a far, my friend.

Will xo

• Carole says:

Thanks for the mention Mon.
    Hope you had a fantastic weekend!
    Lots of love,
    Carole

Yes, silhouettes are fantastic. I did a little ‘silhouette snack post’ in December and fell in love again with this timeless artistic style.

I love your Hicks silhouettes. Such a cute idea and wonderful memories for you and for your children. Imagine when they are old and grey and look at their individual pieces and remember their childhood home. So special!

Big hugs to you from a Cyclone and Flood raged Australia.

xx sis

• I had silhouttes in my home growing up, one of each of us (me and my siblings). I often wonder where they are now, I would love to have the one of me…I’ll have to ask my mom:) Happy Monday, friend!

• sherry says:

I am loving that Hicks wallpaper……have thought about using it so many times! Love how you placed a silhouette on it. Brilliant.

My mother got a bunch from my grandmother in Denmark and she just gave them to me. I used to not be crazy about them, but visiting Sweden over the holidays I was enamored with them, they’re so incredibly sweet and graphic all at once. Now I have to think of the most special place to put them1

• gillian says:

Love this idea. So clever!

• love the yellow couch on the first pic. so happy color! have a great new week darling Mon! xo

• Ann says:

LOVEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! Your wallpaper! I’m green with envy and love the idea of the wallpaper behind the silhouette!

Oh these are fabulous. I need to get some for my house. I like the dog ones and the furniture ones. . .so many great ideas. Now were to put them??

• liza says:

Great post! I love the dogs.

• Erica says:

Love these! Happy Monday! xo

• Monika, love your hexagon wallpaper. The silhouette of your daughter is so lovely! I enjoyed our coffee chat and look forward to seeing you again soon!

xo, Marianne

• Lana says:

Hi Mon! Thanks for your sweet message, it’s great to be back! I’m loving this trend and the hicks wallpaper is seriously one of my faves! Your silhouette is fab, clever you!xx

• I so need some silhouettes in my life- adore them. Fabulous job on yours- the wallpaper is a perfect background for your lovely cut outs. Splendid all around and congrats on the very deserved awards my dear! xo

• The Zhush says:

LOVE these…we have three of Carter’s works of the children, leading up the stairs of the front hallway….these might be three of my most treasured possessions! Love the David Hicks enhanced look…pure brilliance!

• Janell Beals says:

The second image is really fun, what a collection, makes a great statement! Janell

• I have always loved silhouettes. I love that they look so Modern because they are so timeless. Hope your having a great week.

• mon, i was wondering about silhouettes a few days ago. should have known you’re on top of it friend. thanks for a fab round up and introducing me to new ones.
    i am happy to see more of them. i have my eye on aphrochic’s designs.
    happy week.

• Leigha says:

I’ll never get sick of silhouettes – especially personalized ones (on fabulous wallpaper!).

Leigha

• mydesignchic says:

I’m such a fan of silhouettes, and the way you display yours…ingenious!!

• I love your idea! Your silhouette of your daugther that you show here is so lovely!!

Monika, I’m sorry that I’ve been so busy too!! Of course I always love your visits, but never worry when you are bogged down! Hugs to you :)

Nancy xo

• Katie*Belle says:

These silhouettes are fantastic. And I’m completely smitten with that yellow sofa in the first photo : )

• Fantastic post Monika! Very detailed, beautiful and informative as always! I love the wallpaper in your home and the silhouettes you made of your children is beautiful. You are very talented!

Wishing you a truly, lovely day!

• paulap says: