Jan
2011

I Would Like To Move In With Tommy Smythe!

Hope that you all are well rested and happy in the new year. I am personally really excited about 2011. I have a feeling this is going to be a great year!

I spent this past weekend, the first days of the year, fixing and organizing and fixing some more. Out with all clutter and disfunction and headaches. I wanted to start the year fresh and in control! (Tons of bags are being sent to goodwill and other places. I am so done with stuff).

Mr. Tommy Smythe’s (one of HGTV’s great designers) home has been making the rounds in blog land. But when I was thinking about which home or room to kick-off the new year with — I kept coming back to his lovely Toronto apartment. I have a serious design crush on this guy and wish I could move in with him — permanently. I would be so happy here! I find his home beautiful, playful, relaxed, interesting and yes, pleasantly organized!

I like every single thing in this area. But the striped area rug really makes the room.

How fun with the yellow table as an unexpected splash of color.

Matches, pencils, monochrome collectibles — all have their place. (I wish that had been my home when I was frantically running around the house for a box of matches, I don’t now how many times, during the holiday!)

Every room needs at least one black item, for a little bit of glamour and drama. That chair in the background calls my name. What a beauty.

A bright and happy eating area, with a red table lamp for cozy factor. Love it!

Old and new. Splashes of color. Personal touches. Harmony. And a lot of white.

This is how I am marching into 2011. With fresh eyes, a lot of curiosity and a strong desire to try many new things. To live a little!

Warm hugs to you all. It is good to be back and I look forward to seeing what all of my blog friends are up to.

Image of Tommy Smythe via Reynolds Still. Images interiors via Apartment Therapy.

• tinajo says:

Amazing home, love it! I can tell you that I ran around, desperately looking for matches a couple of times too during Christmas..! Now, how come they can move around on their own?!

Take care! :-)

Happy New Year to you too! Welcome back to the blog world! I love that kitchen table :) I think Tommy is great, love this post.

Welcome back, Monica. You have been missed! Tommy Smythe is very talented and very witty!

Hello my friend! Glad you are back!! I wish you a gorgeous and splendid year!!
    Oh yes Mon, it is a wonderful apartment! Very well organized and as you said the rug made the first room!
    Hugs,
    PS And thank you for the wishes dear!

• Janell Beals says:

I’m right with you, love Tommy! And his apartment is great…all the best to you in 2011! Janell

• Good for you getting organized this weekend. I need to get up from this computer and get with it. You’ve inspired me again! Mona

• Carole says:

I’m moving in with you Mon!
    I like a well organised home!
    Hope you had a wonderful Christmas and New Year. Love to you and your family.
    Carole

• Tommy is a favorite of mine too! Adore his apartment, such great style. Happy 2011!

• teaorwine says:

Love the shell pharmacy lamp in final photo. I have been unable to find one for sale anywhere.

• Will says:

You and me both, Mon! Esp. hankering after his stripy blue and white rug: yes, pluuurlease!

Happy New Year; may 2011 be a fantastic year for you and your family. xo

• happy new year mon. It IS going to be a great year.
    I love collecting matches (blame it on bad habits). Love the personal touches and that gilded etegere is gorgeous.
    have a great week hun. xoxo

• Alex says:

Hope your Holidays were fantastic!

Getting back into things and hung more art work @ Fonté coffee & wine bar in Seattle this morning. It would also be a fun place to meet. Let us know, and a big hello to Peter. Looking forward to showing you my art.

Warm wishes,
    Alex

• Happy New Year Mon! All the best for you and your family in 2011. I love Tommy Smythe and got to meet him a few weeks ago. A very charming and funny guy.

• I LOVE Tommy! His style, his humor, everything! His apartment is pretty darn fabulous. I am so pumped to watch Sarah 101 tomorrow, can’t wait to see what Tommy and Sarah have up their sleeves this time around! Happy New Year to you and yours Monika :)
    Nancy xo

• love this place, so charming…and I am so done with stuff also-simplify, simplify, simplify! Happy New Year, Mon! xocc

• mydesignchic says:

My New Year’s resolution was to clean out and pare down…thinking alike. So love this apartment!

• beautiful post, Mon! I’m with you with the strong desire to try many new things this year :-). Hug

• lisasroy says:

yup, I could be very happy living in his apartment! plus he’s hilarious! :)

• eastcoastmom says:

Love his style, thanks for sharing this.

Och du, gillar verkligen din stil också.

Hälsningar från Connecticut

• Mia says:

I totally agree, what a lovely, tasteful home. I like it not to matched but yet stylish as this place. And all the details …

Jag tror också qtt 2011 kommer bli ett fantastiskt roligt och spännande år :)

Kramar!

• Stacey says:

Oh,i love Tommy! I’m so happy you featured his apartment. He dresses well and his taste translates beautifully into his decor. 2011 is going to be a great year indeed. Happy New Year to you! XX

• Peter C. says:

Okay Okay. He’s cute and organized plus lives in a great city. (I love Toronto!) And I admit I was wrong about the blue chest of drawers…

What if I promise to fix up the garage?

Don’t leave! 😉

pc

Splendid Willow Reply:

Oh My! My Dear Hubby chums in! No reason to worry — yet! But I like the idea of a neat garage. (Better than diamonds!). M.

• Style Attic says:

Here’s why I love reading your posts: Every time I scroll and see a new-amazingly-fantastic photo, I have a thought that goes through my head…then I continue the read and you have stated EXACTLY what I had just thought! Like the blue striped rug making the room and the yellow table, how fresh and unexpected! LOVE YOU!! XO

• Oh, I used to love watching Tommy and Sarah Richardson on HGTV when I lived in Canada. They had great chemistry and were so much fun to watch! Sigh….alas none of that here in Italy.

xoxo Awesome photos!

• i love tommy on sara’s house! they make a great team!

• Susan R. says:

LOVE this space, all the details are perfect~it is fresh and updated but cosy as well!

Hello dearest and sorry for the delay in returning to the active blog life..!
    I have now conquered the mountain of washing we trailed home after our holiday (despite staying in a fully equipped house..!) and I am slowly getting back into contact with the world around me. :)

This place has a great energy about it. So fresh and happy somehow. Love the crispness and quirky details. Those tartan stools by the yellow table are fab – I am so loving the return of tartan patterns.

Big hugs