Nov
2010

My Swedish Candy Store

Hello friends. Yesterday it started snowing in Seattle! Just what I needed to get into the winter holiday spirit!

Wonderful & generous designer/blogger extraordinaire Linda Merrill with the Surroundings is clearly ahead of me when it comes to creative ideas & winter holiday inspiration. She invited some of her design and blog friends to share their personal tips and ideas. I was one of them and I am truly honored to be part of a group with so many creative minds. Linda put it all together beautifully in her E-magazine Holiday Issue. Make sure to read the tips here.

In my post for the magazine I mentioned a tradition we have every year at my own house. Right before Christmas I open up the doors to my old Swedish 18th c. secretaire, decorate it nicely and fill it with tons of treats. Let me tell you, there is constant commotion in that part of the house! And the kids have named the cabinet the “Candy Store”.

When will the candy store open for real? That was a burning question at my house last week when I started to decorate for Linda’s article and then abruptly closed the doors to every one’s disappointment!

More sweet homemade treats and real fir wreaths will be added to the cabinet before the doors will officially open!

Store hours: Come back the week after Thanksgiving. Open between 2 pm and 10 pm. Self serving. But leave room for dinner. (A thick red tape will adorn the doors after hours).

Happy new week to you all!

All images of interiors via Splendid Willow.
Written by Splendid Willow in: Holidays & Celebrations,My Home |

Yay, I am the first to comment on this beautiful post!! :)

I have LOVED this idea since you told me about it some time ago, and now, having seen it for real (‘virtual real’..) I am even more taken by it!!
    What a wonderful tradition to have Mon – I can feel the excitement and anticipation all the way to Sydney. You are marvelous my dear!

Congratulations to Linda’s feature. I am not surprised she picked you.. Not at all!!

Puss hej leverpastej!

xx sis

• Will says:

Mon, what a lovely tradition you have! I would be so excited to visit your candy store, sip some mulled wine and have a good old natter amongst all the festive cheer.

I hope you have a fabulous holiday period: a warm, kind and generous person like you deserves some time to be treated for yourself!

• Purple Area says:

What a lovely idea and that cabinet of yours, beautiful!!

Your cabinet is also ‘candy for the eye’!! Beautiful Monika! You give me inspiration!
    Hugs,

Swedish fish, perhaps?? 😀 Currently I have visions of “drumsticks” dancing in my head….happy THANKSgiving! franki

• What a beautiful candy store! I bet your children just love it . xoxo Mona

Gorgeous Monika! I love it, great tradition. Now you just need some Swedish homemade Christmas candy :) I will post some in December!

• your cabinet is an eye-candy, Mon! Wonderful idea!
    Happy Thanksgiving!
    Hugs from Frankfurt

• Kimberly says:

Oh yes, Frida had told me it was open. I told her I would be over in an hour! :)

• Monika – thank you so much for the mention and for your participation. I love this tradition you have and your cabinet is gorgeous!!

• Kari says:

Just darling Monika! I wish I was there in person to partake in some of your wonderful treats. Terrific idea.

Kari

• Lovely story you’re sharing with us all. I wish I could visit your candy store :)

• Sweet, sweet idea.
    And I love the Tomten.
    Truly magazine worthy.
    My parents came home
    to Washington from
    Palm Springs,yesterday,
    to be greeted by the
    snow, too!
    xx Suzanne

• I think I have landed in heaven… do you think I could fit under that cabinet for a little “after-hours” snacking? hmm… love every inch!

Wishing you a wonderful week ahead my friend. Your blog is always full of surprises and amazing finds. I just had to link this post of yours in my Monday’s finds today!

• Sonia says:

Monika, what a lovely and creative idea !!! Love the usage of a secretaire as a display for the children, family and friends!!

Happy Thanksgiving,

Love

The Alberts

• jenna says:

What a wonderful tradition Monika. That’s so great! What a beautiful cabinet. Enjoy the holiday week!!! Loving this time of year…..

• What a lovely idea and tradition, so visually {and I am sure physically} satisfying!! I love hearing people’s different traditions during the holidays, it’s so special.

PS. We’ve got some snow up here in Vancouver too :)
    Happy new week to you my friend,
    Nancy xo

• Leigha says:

What a feast! This is a charming idea and tradition that I will employ if there are ever little ones around my home at Christmas (or maybe one year just for me!).

Leigha

• You are so inspiring!! Congratulations on the magazine article- no surprise at all that you were chosen. I absolutely love this cabinet idea- such a sweet and beautiful tradition!

• Tereza says:

So beautiful that cabinet of yours!
    Thanks for sharing.
    Tereza

• This is the most fantastic tradition!!! Wow, I bet your house is very popular when the candy store doors open for good. And it looks fabulous too. Thank you for your lovely comment on my gardening post – but I think you were doing anything but running around in circles last weekend if this is the result!!

• Rachel McElhinney says:

I love the Royal Copenhagen Half Lace patterned china. It is my pattern too. You are a lucky duck to have the lovely pedestal bowl. In my dream house the shelves are full of blue and white china.

• Tina says:

:)What a great idea! I totally get why this is so popular with the younger ones!!! What an excitment!

Ps. Tack för din gulliga comment! Tyvärr sprang priset iväg på den Gustavianska taburetten, så den gick tyvärr förlorad(tyckte verkligen om den!). Men det var väl helt enkelt inte meningen att den skulle komma till mig och jag väntar med spänning på något annat som förhoppningsvis snart korsar min väg:)!

Många kramar till Dig!

• Oh Mon….YOU are the gem Hun! This is just so incredibly beautiful & inspiring. What an amazing tradition to give your little ones! Thank you for your warm & kind comment over on ML, it made my day :) I hope you have an absolutely magical Thanksgiving! See you next week!
    Melis
    Ps and that secretary is unbelievable… Just gorgeous!

• booking my flight over now to devour all the treats! congrats love. xoxo

• Monika, that is the most inventive thing. Just imagine the great (sweet!) memories your children will have of the ‘candy store’ when they are grown. I love it…

Donna

• paula says:

the red barn is amazing! Hope you are having a wonderful holiday weekend.

• Vicki Archer says:

I just adored your idea…and think I may have to follow along for our Christmas this year….Beautiful…..xv

• kiki alvord says:

TOOOO CUTE MON.!!!! I wish I was a kid in your house,too.

Oh, snart är det jul!!!
    kiki

• […] you all. I am slowly starting to decorate our house for the holidays. My candy store is set up (see here). And now all the rest will […]