Nov
2010

The Best DIY Projects (new series)

I am so excited to share my new series — The Best DIY Minds (on the planet!) with you all. And I am doing this for selfish reasons! I want the best DIY (Do It Yourself) projects collected on my own blog, so I don’t have to hop all over blog land for inspiration and tutorials. You will find the DIY portfolio button on my front page and I hope to fill it with tons of inspirational projects that we all can tap into and actually tackle ourselves.

Let me introduce you to Janell with Isabella & Max Rooms. I have known this generous lady for quite a while in blog land and I can so relate to both her design style and her life attitude. This talented girl shares amazing DIY projects (mainly out of her own home) on her blog and she both inspires and pushes me (and I am sure all her readers!) to be much more creative with my head and hands!

This is how Janell sees her style: “If I had to describe my decorating style I would classify it as transitional with an eclectic edge. And interestingly, I am happiest with the rooms in my home that have a masculine aspect to the design.”

Janell’s blog is jam packed with wonderful projects but the one that stands out the most for me (perhaps because I need one myself) is her headboard project.

She took this.

… and this

To this.

To THIS!

I absolutely love what she did! And it inspires me to get my husband involved and tackle this project together.  Seriously, this I must try!

For the full tutorial, go here.

And this is Janell’s favorite project (so far).

“The lamp makeover project is a favorite of mine. I had been looking high and low for a pair of ivory gourd lamps at a decent price. I kept finding lamps I loved, but at a price I couldn’t justify. Then I went to HomeGoods. The pair I found were a bright blue, but the shape and size perfect! I knew spray paint could easily fix the color issue and the gloss finish gave the lamps the high end look I was after. The finishing touch was to cover the lampshades with a Chinoiserie fabric and contrasting trim. I couldn’t be happier with the fun yet sophisticated result.”

Before:

After:

The lamp in its full glory!

For a tutorial of the lamp project go here. (And yes, the red chalkboard dresser is also a project of hers).

Amazing projects, right! Admit that you, just like me, want to roll up your sleeves and start working away!

Thank you, Janell for taking part in this series.

I Salute You And Your Incredible Design Mind!

All images via Isabella & Max Rooms. DIY Design button via Splendid Willow.
Written by Splendid Willow in: DIY | Tags:

Hej !
    Vad duktig hon är ! (She is amazing!) Det är roligt att se hur det går att förändra/förbättra/försköna saker som vi har.
    Allt bra med dig?

Kram

• Mon, the 1st project is amazing! I’ll try to do the same for my parents’ bedroom. Wonderful idea!

• Mia says:

Hi Mon, what a great idea! And great projects by Janell, creative and lovely!

Här hemma är allt vitt och vackert men det är tyvärr tösnö, men det framkallar ännu mer julkänsla. Hade varit mysigt att titta över till dig och dricka lite glögg nu …
    Tack för dina alltid så snälla och uppmuntrande kommentarer :)

Kramar Mia

• Janell is very good! The headboard looked professionally done and I would have never guessed that those weren’t the original lamps! Way to go Janell. Monika, this is going to be a very popular series!

• Janell Beals says:

Hi Monika, Thank you so much for inviting me to be a part of this series! I just adore the button!!
    Janell

• Janell is one of the best. She’s not only wildly creative, she’s so sweet and generous about sharing her DIY’s and giving tips for those of us without her talent.

• Tina says:

My Oh My! That´s what I call a DIY project. I think these 2 projects of hers are fantastic!
    Love the creativity and would love to do some of my own projects here at home. Can´t wait to see what else comes in further on!
    Sooo inspiring!!! Such a great idea!!!

All my love to you and your wonderful ideas!

• that headboard is freakin’ fantastic! ah-mazing!

• Oh I’m going to love this series!!! Janell is amazing and I adore both the headboard and lamps- so good!!

The headboard idea is great! Looks awesome! Wish i had the wall space behind my bed to do this. Love your button and look forward to this series!

• Kari says:

Oh wow! These are great. Very clever lady. Thanks for sharing these inspirational ideas. Looking forward to more!

• Congrats on the new series Mon! It’s fantastic! Janell – nice to meet you. Great great DIYs. I am in LOVE with your headboard. I wish I had seen your tutorial before making the headboard for my guestbed. The fabric choice and the nailhead trim are simply outstanding. Thanks!!

What a talented friend! Her headboard project is so inspirational. Well done!

• Your sooo right Monika, I NEED to try that headboard project, it is so fabulous. I love Janell’s blog and her projects are wonderful.
    Nancy xo

• JEN RAMOS says:

The lamps DIY were definitely a great project..very helpful. In fact so much so…that i am going to re-do my black ones a bit. :))))

madebygirl.blogspot.com

• She is so amazing, and her projects turn out just beautifully, I agree. She has a great eye! I only fear that my DIY wouldn’t turn out so well, judging from past experience! 😉 Have a lovely week, Mon!

• Anna@IHOD says:

Thanks for stopping by! I am glad you did! What a fun series! The headboard is brilliant!

• Rebecca says:

Janell – How creative! I love the lamps…and want to know more about that chalkboard dresser..so clever!

• Piper says:

First let me get my mouth off the ground…WOW! That headboard is amazing – you made that?? Janell, that is amazing! We haven’t had a headboard for awhile since I didn’t know what to do and they can be expensive – I think you just gave me inspiration I needed!!

For the lamps – what type spray paint did you use? I love the gloss it created.

• Just incredible! I love these so much…the headboard and the lamps….just perfect! Thanks so much for sharing this with us Mon, I love your new series!
    Melis

• audrey marie says:

that headboard – such a great idea!!

Great idea! I so look forward to seeing this series develop, and to think there will be a well of creative ideas to dive into here at your oh so Splendid Willow is exciting!

Janelle seems like the kind of lady I wish I lived next door to. Someone who can transform the mundane into marvelous with her bare hands! What a gift!

Thank you for the feature and thank you Janelle for letting us have a peak!

Kramar till dig!

sis

P.S. Tack for ditt gulliga mail. Jag svarar nar jag kan satta mig ner en stund i fred.. Solen stralar och barnen ar vilda och energiska… Deras mamma ar mest trott..! :)

• How great is THIS?
    I will be checking it.
    And Isabella’s blog, too…
    Hmmm….Think I feel
    those sleeves starting
    to roll…!
    xx Suzanne

• Well done, Janell!

Oh, Mon, I would be honored to be included! Thank you so much for thinking of me. Now I just have to take on a worthy project! Have the most wonderful weekend my dear!

• Mon, what a great series. It falls in the category, ‘now, why didn’t I think of this…?’

I am a huge fan of Janell’s – her projects always inspire me. Her inspiration is boundless and her energy is endless. You kicked off with the BEST.

Looking forward to MORE! Donna

• Style Attic says:

GREAT series! I’m a total DIYer :) My husband said it should be my initials!

LOVE that headboard…hmmmm!

Can’t wait to see more XOXO