Oct
2010

A Mom’s Cave (A Place That’s Only Mine)

When the incredibly creative Kate with Centsational Girl invited her blog followers to a link party, I just had to join in. It struck such a cord with me. Kate’s theme was “Mom’s cave”. My house is not exactly small, but even so, there is not one inch of the house that is not being used by hubby, 3 young kids, 2 cats, a fluffy hamster and a ton on visitors — young and old. (OH NO! I just realize that I missed the party by a day! I am an idiot… Oh well, I am posting it anyway).

The only place, and I really mean ONLY, I can claim as my very own is not a room but a small corner in the house. The corner next to my bed side. No one in the family dares to even get close to my sacred spot.

Here I surround myself with things that make me happy and content. I keep things organized and uncluttered. Call me crazy, but it feels heavenly and actually rewarding to have a spot where you can reclaim your power! I whole heartedly recommend it.

There you have it. My “Mom’s corner”. Nothing big, nothing extraordinare. But all mine and very special to me.

(To see what the chest looked like before I painted it – go here).

Now over to something else.

From my corner of the room I have full view of yet another chest. But this one is a good quality empire chest from Paris and it will not get so much as a simple polish! On it, I keep two precious and sentimental things from two special men who taught me what true love means. My father (who passed away when I was 14) and my husband.

The lamp on the chest used to be in my father’s home office. I believe it is from the 50’s. Isn’t it handsome? Just like he was.

Next to the lamp is an Italian lecturn from the 18th century with a framed calligraphy text which my huband presented me with on our 5th anniversary.

Let me just say that I married a really good man. But romantic he is not. So imagine my surprise when I found out that he had commissioned a professional calligraphy expert to artfully hand write our “song”. The very classic jazz tune by legendary Duke Ellington“In a Sentimental Mood”.

This song fills my heart and gives me goose bumps every time I hear it played. If you have a moment, turn on your speakers and take a listen to Ledisi’s jazz version. What a beautiful piece of music.

A little bit of a Mom’s cave and a little bit of sentiment. I hope you don’t mind me sharing.

Hugs to you all and happy rest of the week!

All images via Splendid Willow. Do not use without authorization.
Written by Splendid Willow in: My Home |

• Cathy says:

A little bit of Mom’s cave but I’d say A LOT of sentiment, not a little. Loved both! When choosing a band for our wedding (24 years ago) it was essential that they could play classic Duke Ellington songs.
    Cathy

• Victoria says:

Your sacred spot-corner reminds me of mine! I too like to “keep things organized and uncluttered” in it.

• joanny says:

A beautiful post, filled with cherished treasures of the mind, body, soul, from those who loved you and the ones you loved in return. May the love filled days and cherished memories continue to fill your days. Love the color you painted that chest.

Merci, joanny

• Carole says:

Oh, Mon. Thanks for sharing this. It’s always nice to catch a glimpse of another’s life. I love that you have pencils by the side of your bed! And what a treasure you have in your hubby!
    Lots of love,
    Carole x

• This is a beautiful post Monika! I love the little nook you’ve made for yourself in your room and your husband sounds like an absolute gem! I just listened to the youtube video and i love it! Classic vocal jazz is my favourite among all.

Thank you for sharing such sweet moments from your life.
    Grande Baccia!

I am listening to ‘your song’ whilst typing this and I too get goose bumps. So beautiful and I love ‘old school’ classics like this. And what a voice she has!!!
    What a beautiful and meaningful gift by Peter. So sweet!

Your ‘sacred corner’ looks cozy, chic and very you. I love the little detail and all your special things.
    Was also very happy to see ‘Potensgivarna’ in the top drawer.. :) (Fnissar fortfarande nar jag tanker pa Rutger och hans flaskor ute i boden.. :)

I have asked before and now I am even more curious about the art on the wall behind the Empire chest..? Please tell..

KRAMAR
    xx sis

• Tereza says:

What a beautiful cave!
    Love that blue chest.
    Beautiful post, thanks for sharing.
    Tereza

THERE was that blue chest again…my heart actually skipped a beat or two…maybe it was keeping time to the music. Your mom cave is wonderful. franki

• LOVE that blue chest!! great to see your wonderful spot!

• Lana says:

Love your little space, it’s gorgeous! Plus your Dad’s lamp and hubby’s gift, so special, thank YOU for sharing with us Mon!x

• amanda wallin says:

monika jag blir så himla inspirerad av din blogg och jag kikar in då och då! speciellt eftersom jag tycker om design så mycket. hoppas ni har det bra! hälsa alla, kram!

Dear Mon,

I loooovvvve everything in your cave!!!

Monika, I am sooo busy! I have no enough time to blog! I am preparing a project in Switzerland and probably have to go to Switserland for a few days within the next week!

Miss you!!

• gillian says:

gorgeous post, my friend. Love it all.

Heavenly, Mon!

Love your father’s retro office lamp. And only you would dare to put it on an empire chest!

• Kari says:

Mon,

So many things I love here. Let me start with your father’s lamp. I’ve never seen one like it…so handsome. I really love how you have it styled on that wonderful chest! Simply gorgeous. Your amazing calligraphy from your sweet husband. What a wonderful, sentimental, and VERY romantic gift! He’s a keeper. I also just adore Ledisi. I’ve seen her in person a couple of times in San Francisco. Once at a funky club and another time at a Jazz club with Count Basie Orchestra. Fantastic.

Thank you for sharing this fantastic post. Love it.

Kari

• Tina says:

Underbara Mon!
    Underbart inlägg!
    Älskar ditt hörn av sovrummet som bara är ditt!
    Love, love din fars skrivbordslampa, vilken pjäs och som för minnena till din far.
    Även mycket vackert det din man gett till dig. Visst är det väl sådana här saker vi ska omge oss med!? Saker som påminner oss om människor vi älskar och som för goda minnen med sig.
    Love it!
    Nu ska jag lyssna på er låt, tro mig inte ha hört denna. Är dock ett stor fan av jazz-musik.

Många kramar till dig!

Monika – Loved to see your little corner of the house. My cave is the kitchen and office :)

• Love your corner. The little cup with the girl in the skirt that you hold your pens in is so cute. Where did you find it? Not that i could ever get one…. I live in Sydney Australia

• kiki alvord says:

Heyyyyy glad to see the “Frenchman” is home again and fixed!!
    No one knows what the heck we are talking about, but I assure you that you will never regret not selling it. I would never!!! It is too beautiful!
    The blue is reallly smashing Mon. Good job!
    I hope to be able to sell out a few more things
    from Swedish Heirlooms before we pack it all up for Sweden the 15-17 November from our storage on Madison.
    See you soon.
    kiki

• Gah. I love everything about your beautiful side table and all that is on top of it. Absolutely gorgeous..and I love that you have one spot that is completely yours. We mom’s do need that don’t we? :) Thank you for your incredible sweet & kind comment over on ML today. It made me smile and I really appreciated it. Your home and the two incredible pieces from your dad & your hubby are priceless. Such a romantic gesture…I love it & thank you so much for sharing it with us!
    Melis
    ps you & your sweet family are beautiful as well :)

• Love the blue chest and that stunning tray…so nice to see others’ special spots…xocc

• Sweet sweet spot
    for a sweet sweet girl : )
    us take a peek. I
    just love the blue
    chest and your dad’s
    lamp is really wonderful!
    As is the calligraphy ~
    truly lovely.
    xx Suzanne

• What an amazing Post! Love it. Love all about it – colour chest and all the detailed shots.

• Thanks for your lovely comment, Mon! I have 2 little “princes”. Their room is ready for a makeover, too :-) You are also on my blogroll. I really like your blog. Your last post is amazing – special, timeless, priceless…
    Have a great weekend!

• Julie at BV says:

Dear Monica,

I love your beautiful corner, your entire house is simply stunning, I know I’ve seen it before but it never fails to inspire me. Your husband’s gift says more than romantic to me and what a unique and fabulous lamp your dad had. I had never seen on of those before.

Your post made me realize I don’t have a space I can call my own in this house. Every part seems to be a common area.

• Leigha says:

Oh, Mon. I have so much to say about this post. First, that blue dresser is stunning…I need a similar refinish at my house. Second, your husband is so adorable. Isn’t it funny how a thoughtful gift (and that calligraphy is insanely thoughtful) means more than any amount of monetary gifts and bauble? Swoon. You lucky thing.

Leigha

• Eddie Ross says:

We are a smidge jealous of Mom’s cave… it’s perfect! Have a wonderful weekend!

E+J

• DogsMom says:

I am so glad you posted the link to this post in the comments for the Mom Cave contest. You did see that there is another contest Nov 1, right? (BNOTP)
    Great music to read posts by.
    I am very envious of your wonderful furniture.
    I am a huge fan of color so naturally your bold choice of blue for the dresser grabs my attention and my heart.
    I am also a sucker for anything with Lion heads.

So sweet!! That blue chest -WOW! A small and smashing spot for a mom is way better than big and bland!

• jenna says:

Awww Mon you are SO VERY SWEET! I could never forget You!{You are back linked up on my blog….what a mess that was! :( }

For starters, that dressor turned out AMAZING in that blue…to die. Paired with the mirror it is just a stunning bedside. Love the orchid & pot (I have a few of these pots in my home…so natural, love them.)

• Your Mom Cave is wonderful. Absolutely beautiful, and your husband having the song done for you brings tears to my eyes. Great post! Happy Halloween!!! MOna

• Ann says:

What a nice post…

Every Mom should have a place of her own no matter how small for our own sanity and freedom:)

• Mia says:

Love your style and that chest!
    Såg ditt mail, svarar imorgon har haft fullt upp ett par dar.
    Ha en skön dag,
    stora kramar

• liza says:

I love your corner. Happy Halloween to you, Monika!

• Style Attic says:

So glad you did! I feel like I just went on a retreat :) Amazing home, amazing space! Ahhh. Now I’m hanging my head in shame as I need to make a few drawers look just like yours!!! XOXO Kel

• Erica says:

It’s seriously amazing… every single thing. Thanks for sharing. xo

• paula says:

and what a gorgeous spot it is!

• Gorgeous! I adore your blue side table (alot) and everything on them- I have wanted one of those snakeskin trays forever- looks amazing in your room. I love the artwork and your brass lamp- I really love it all!

• escapade says:

Monika – this is so beautiful!
    I’m listening to the soft sultry tune as I type, perfect for a Sunday evening. What a special gift from your hubby, such a treasure!
    I always so enjoy little sneak peaks into your home (& love the shot of your beautiful family!), that blue dresser turned out so well, I’m always so inspiring to go out and buy some paint every time I see it!
    Hope you’ve had a wonderful weekend lovely lady!

• Mind it? Love it!

You have such great taste, Monika, you truly do. You make it look entirely effortless — as if the objects lived there, not as if you placed them there… you know what I mean? I view it as the best form of creating a space. Your end table is so beautiful, and I love what you keep on it (and in it, that beautiful orange box caught my attention!) — your family photos, everything… and then, that chest across is stunning. Such a handsome mix with beautiful objects… and might I add: that lamp is out of this world? It’s so unique and timeless, like nothing I’ve seen, and the artwork behind is fabulous. The piece that got to me most was that from your husband. A piece of art, truly and so meaningful.

Great posting idea! xoxo

• […] up,  this beautiful chest that I spotted via Splendid Willow. This blue is like almost navy with a hint of purple in […]

• Milla says:

Hey Monika, I remembered to come back and let you know when my desk project was complete. So here it is…http://designpardeux.com/double-vanity-desk/ Again, thanks for stopping by.