Oct
2010

I Spy So Many Lovely Things For The Home

Happy new week friends! I spent the weekend relaxing after a very busy week and also took some time to go through a pile of interior design magazines which have been staring at me for a while, wondering if I did not love them anymore. But I do — and I found so many lovely things in them! Here are just  a few (some scanned with less quality) that made me stop in my tracks.

I adore this Charcoal stripe ikat pillow from Madeline Weinrib Atelier. Like an art pice. (Really like the “bleeding” edges). Just wish my wallet was a tad “fatter”.

How cool & unusual is this vintage gymnastics pommel horse as a bench in the foyer. (The legs have been shortened). Why did I not think of that! I must find one! And if any of  you say that you have — I will be so envious! (Just found a vintage one that sells for $3,000 on 1st Dibs. A girl can dream…)

This lovely gray velvet sofa by Jonathan Adler is getting my attention. I am helping my good friend Eva to decorate her living and dining room. And this sofa will be one of my candidates. Classic and current, feminine and masculine. It has sit all. I envision two of these facing each other with the fireplace in between, on the short end.

Here is another is another favorite sofa choice of mine. The always so classy Chesterfield sofa”.

Another Chesterfield sofa, in a library setting. So perfect — for me!

This image works as a great reminder for me that my book shelf/cabinet can work double duty as a bar. Perhaps an idea for your own home during the holidays?

Oh, how I love this bathroom. I don’t like my bathrooms to be sterile and unwelcoming. This one is both elegant, current and inviting. Love the color choices.

A few times now, I have seen pieces of framed fabric identical to the one over the sofa. Someone told me that they are “money holders”. Help? Does anybody know? I don’t even know what to search for! (No, it does not say in the magazine).

Before I let you go, I would like to say Thank You for all the tremendous support and encouragement you offered me before my little design speech at the Nordic Heritage Museum last week. You gave me the self confidence I needed. My presentation was very well recieved ( I did not faint!) and I got quite a few comments afterwards from audience members telling me they felt “inspired” and wanted to go home and make changes to their own homes, which is everything I had hoped for. I owe that to you.

And finally, An Extra Big Thank You to the talented and generous Tina over at the Sweden based blog Komma Hem. Tina featured my home in her Sunday post. It always feels a little surreal to see your own living space through somebody else’s eyes. But I am honored and touched. If you have a moment, pop over and say hello here. (Tina, you are such a sweet heart!)

(Blog friends: I did not visit one, single blog last week. I am quite behind. I am diving in this week and am looking forward to catching up. I know that you have tons of  inspiration up your sleeves!)

A warm hug to you all.

Magazine images: No 1 scanned from Country Living, no. 2 scanned from Elle Decor, no. 3 + 4 + 5 via House Beautiful, no. 5 scanned from House & Home.

• Mia says:

Lovely pictures and gorgeous sofas!

Hoppas du mår bra och att du får en härlig vecka :)

Stor, varm kram

My dearest friend,you have a wonderful spy eye!!! Lovely things!!!!
    A big hug to you and a wonderful week Mon!

• Can’t wait to go and peak at your home!!

Love that Adler sofa. I haven’t seen it. It is amazing.

How wonderful that you took time to sit down and enjoy your pile of magazines. It is such a nice and meditative ritual to read the ‘old fashioned way’. As much as I LOVE (!) the blog world and all the exciting digital magazines and sites, there is something very special about an unread printed magazine – especially when teamed with a quiet house and a nice cup of tea..! :)

I love your inspiration pictures and got very excited over the Ikat pillow, and the tufted sofas. I too love a good Chesterfield and I dream of a nicely worn one in cognac leather.. Sigh..!

I am so proud of you Monika and would have loved to be there in the audience when you did your talk. How exciting! WELL DONE to you my friend!!

Heading over to sweet Tina’s now to check out her post.

Hugs from Sydney.
    xx C

• Lovely images Monika. The sofas are to die for and what a cool way to set up a bar. So glad your talk went well. I’m not surprised. Your warmth and passion for design are contagious. Have a wonderful week. Mona

Oh, my! That BLUE chest is just fantastic! I’m off to the store for BLUE paint. Enchanting home! franki

• I love everything that you put up today!! Especially that bench, dreaming too!!

Monika – How was the event? Sorry i missed it. We spent the whole weekend looking at couches for our “family room” and could not find many that are nice and comfortable. Anyways Dania had the best selection of couches that were nice and comfortable. For our living room i love the gray couch, hopefully it comes a little smaller. Also the bar/bookshelf? We have the same taste, i have been looking for that peice everywhere. But i think it is homemade. Also good news, i got curtains and a rug for our dinning room – now just need something on the walls and a table. Our powder room is almost done – it is ultra modern – you will love it – everything is gray and white and sleek. And in two weeks we start taking down our big wall. Lots going on. . .

• koralee says:

Hi my sweet friend….so much inspiration here today..I am in love love with that gym bench…wow…I too need to find one….hummmmmmm.

Happy Monday and I soooo hope all is well with you in my favourite city…SEATTLE!

Is it raining today….very cozy here inside. xoxo

• Hi Monika!
    I read that same
    article with the
    two guys who live
    in the old school house.
    Was it in House Beautiful?
    Loved it! And, I’m
    a Chesterfield girl
    all the way….Wondering
    how she ended up with
    a big squishy couch,
    instead??? Next time!
    Happy Monday : )
    xx Suzanne

• Tina says:

Hej rara Mon!
    Härligt underbar inspiration som vanligt:)!
    Är ett stort ‘fan’ av Mr Adler och hans pjäser. Hade inte tackat nej till den där soffan. Älskar även som du, en klassisk Chesterfield- modell. Varianten i tyg var mycket vacker och inbjudande!
    Tack, tusen tack för din fina kommentar och för att du nämnt mig här på din fantastiska blogg!
    Jag är så tacksam över att ni alla tillfrågade ställt upp i min style searching. Det har även börjat ge goda resultat. Mer om det senare:).
    Ha det underbart!
    Kram, kram från mig!

• Wow Monika, you are better than I.. apologizing for not checking out blogs in a week. There are sooooo many blogs I want to visit that I could honestly do it full time…. but ahhh, reality. Only so many hours in a day.

You have me thinking about that “money-holder”. Haven’t heard that but I will now be on the hunt. Sure to let you know if I find an answer for you!

Sarah

• Arlene says:

Hello, Monika,

By now you have probably heard from lots of your readers about the textile over the sofa. It is a piece of Kuba Cloth. Kuba people are from Congo. I framed a piece for my husband’s office, and they are not hard to come by. A little less common are the full pieces of Kuba, which come in very long lengths and are worn as wrap skirts by the males in the tribe. I have a couple, and I adore them. I keep one draped on a bench, and I have a 10-footer, framed, which takes up a wall in my dining room. They will range in price from $200 to $20,000, depending on age, ornamentation, etc. Search the web for Kuba and you’ll find a bunch of information and pieces for sale.

Best,

Arlene

Splendid Willow Reply:

Thank you Arlene! You made my day! I will include a little bit more information on these “Kuba” cloths in my next post.

Thank you again.

ox, Mon – Splendid Willow

• Stacey says:

I rushed over here from Tina after seeing your beautiful home. It is so warm and i love how you “mixed it up” to keep the look dynamic. Awesome tour;-). I have that pic with the Chesterfield sofa in front of the bookcase bookmarked as a fave too. Great post. XX

• Your talk sounds as if it was super! Congrats!
    I love going through the old piles of magazines, there is always something wonderful hidden in them waiting to be rediscovered. That Jonathan Adler sofa is great, would love to pass out on that after a meal! E.

• audrey marie says:

what wonderful inspiration!! a chesterfield is on my wish list – i think a classic brown leather version is what i like best.

audrey marie

• Style Attic says:

I can’t wait to go see :)

First I am loving the storage solution! I was just contemplating the same idea this weekend for our dining room and was wondering if I was crazy or not! (Love to repurpose) So thanks for the validation!

Anytime you want to preach in a post what you were able to say at the museum…I’m all ears and will take all the details your willing to divulge!!

XO,

Kel

• That sofa is DIVINE! As is that bathroom. Thanks so much for sharing such beauty :)

• Lana says:

Hi Mon! Fabulous post, love the room with the lilac chesterfield and that gym horse too! Was also about to tell you about the Kuba cloth but I see someone has already answered your question! You can get it quite easily here, my parents also have some in their African suite in their guest house!
    Can’t wait to see your house tour, popping over now!xx

• paula says:

can I have it all? such inspiration.

• Absolutely gorgeous….I love the idea of using the vintage “horse” as a bench! Love it…the couches are sublime, the bar idea and bath are fantastic! Your home is so lovely and thank you for your incredibly sweet & kind comment over on ML. I really appreciated it, made my day. Adding you to my blogroll too! Thanks darlin!
    Melis

• Gorgeous sofas, and I love that pommel horse! There was an issue of Lonny that had some boxing gloves hanging on a chest beneath some peonies, loved the offbeat touch of sporting equipment. Many thanks for your email this morning, Mon, greatly appreciated. XX!

• The Zhush says:

So many fabulous and inspirational images and choices over here (as always!). I would have loved to have heard you speak about design! (print the speech here perhaps?) Heading over to Tina’s next to drool over your home! Hope you are well!XX
    Sue

• what a treat, Mon, to see your lovely home. I need to tell you I had a little gasp when I saw your den with the dark gray bookcases. That is exactly what I have planned for my den! our style senses are more alike that we ever dreamed!

you have a lovely home, but it is all your personal touches/your personal style that makes it so.

thanks for sharing your home with us! love, Donna

• i really like this post… and the chesterfield sofa :-)

• Tereza says:

The sofas are gorgeous and so is the cabinet working as a bar, fantastic idea.
    Tereza

• Leigha says:

Oh, I totally need a pommel horse, too (I would never have thought of it!).

Have fun at Elsa’s Halloween party today!

Leigha

• Leigha says:

And one more thing…next time you have a speaking engagement (I have a feeling there will be many more) I will defintely make it up to Seattle.

Hugs.