Oct
2010

This week I Am Extra Consumed By Swedish Style

Hello friends. Happy new week!

On Thursday I am guest speaking at the Nordic Heritage Museum in Seattle.

I feel so honored (thank you Stina!). The stage is mine for 2 hours and and I am looking forward to sharing all I know about Swedish design, how to bring Swedish style into your home and what to  invest in when it comes to Swedish design. (I will also share a couple of DIY projects in time for the holidays). Appetizers & Drinks will also be served at this evening event — so I am looking forward to some happy hours! (:

I feel I know the subject fairly well. Interior design has been a life long passion of mine, I have decorated many homes, I have had my own Swedish antiques business for a few years and now with my blog I feel I am even more up to date. One book about Swedish design that I have just picked up, is the newly released book Scandinavian Design by Lars Bolander.  I’m so glad I did.

What a treasure trove of great information and wonderful pictures about Swedish style from a successful US based Swede with impeccable taste! Bolander has such an amazing  eye for mixing old style with new. I find Lars Bolander so brave with his design contrasts and he is definitely someone I admire. I read in The New York Times that: “Wherever Bolander goes, “Bronfmans and Vanderbilts follow.” I believe that.

Preparing for my presentation I have also spent some time browsing through two books that I already own by the very talented design duo behind Eleish Van Breems Antiques Edie Van Breems and Rhonda Eleish. I have known them on a more personal level for a a few years (when we still lived in LA). I adore them and have a lot of respect for their way of decorating beautiful rooms. I am hoping that yet another beautiful coffee table book about Swedish design will come out of their camp before too long.

The more about Swedish style and design — the merrier.

Hope your week is off to a good start. I know mine will be full, busy and exciting!

(Note to bloggers: I will be a little slow with my blog comments this week. Just give me a few days).

• Will says:

How exciting for you, Mon, all the best of luck with the talk on Thursday! Will be thinking of you.

Hope you had a smashing weekend.

Will xo

Monika,
    I am so excited for you! I wish I could be there and listening to you! I know that it wil be a wonderful and interesting speech!
    I so love the Lars Bolander design, and all things Swedish! I think I should order his book. Unfortunately it takes a long time to get it here in Belgium.
    I wish you good luck with the speech my friend!

• That’s brilliant Monika! What a wonderful opportunity and experience. I love reading about your tips and ideas. I wish I was there to view your presentation. Make sure you tell us all about it after.

• Carole says:

Wow Mon! How exciting. I wish I could be there. x

• Mia says:

Good luck with the presentation, I know it will be a success and you will do great! Nice pictures from the book and in the last post too :)

Have a lovely, busy week!

Lots of hugs
    Mia

• Janell Beals says:

Monika,
    Two hours, wow, I wish I could attend! All the best and have fun with it! Janell

• koralee says:

How exciting…I know it will be wonderful..wish I was there…I adore this style.

Hugs xoxooxo

• Colleen Martin says:

I pre-ordered Lars book and have read it through several times looking for anything about Lars. IT IS A DUD. There are only three photos of Lars work of his house, no other projects are mentioned. The rest has nothing to do with him. Heather wrote the book and it is all about other interiors with his name on the cover. Heather did a good job on her commentary about the photos of interiors of antique homes. I was expecting to see Lars work and many of his interiors, but not so. It seems they used his “important” name for the cover to sell books. In Texas they say “Big Hat, No Cattle”. This is Big Name, No Substance. Very disappointing.
    I am very into Swedish decor and antiques.
    Colleen for Swede Collection, LLC

Splendid Willow Reply:

Hi Colleen, thank you for your comment.

I am sorry the book disappointed you. I totally agree with you that it did not showcase the work of Lars Bolander. But I don’t think that was the idea of the book. This is about Scandinavian style (not Bolander’ style) – and the way he sees it. Or as Bunny Williams says “a private, exclusive tour of the best of Scandinavian design”. (And frankly how many designers write their own books? Most of them have teamed up with someone well-versed in the media/publishing business). I can totally see his fingerprints, great style and thinking through the entire book and his love for mixing old with new. I think it is wonderful book, the writing is excellent and there are tons of images & homes that I have never seen before.

But let’s use this as an opportunity to demand a Lars Bolander style book. We all want it! Lars do you hear us!?

ox, Mon

Meranda Reply:

I haven’t read the book but I have been looking forward to it. I appreciate the honest feedback. A woman commented on another site detailing his work that there is more to Swedish Decorating than the 18th century styles. Everyone has their own opinion. For myself, I really love the looks that combine the Louis XVI furniture and the country Swedish looks from the 1800’s, and possibly that is where your comment was going. Lars is known for that style, and a couple Swedish books I have picked up detail a vast spectrum of Swedish styles, with a lacking of Gustavian empasis. I have even thought myself of putting together a book of paint finishes and country furniture focusing on just the primitive looks, because there are just a handful of people who have done it nicely, Lars being one of those people.
    Meranda recently posted..Furniture Painting Ideas

• I wish I could attend :-) have a great time, Mon!

• Congrats, Monika!
    If I was visiting my parents,
    I’d take the train up and
    come to hear you speak…..
    That would be just wonderful!
    You are so very knowledgeable
    and your audience is sure to
    walk away armed with a lot
    of new information. {Now that
    I think about it, I’m a wee
    bit jealous of them!} Of course,
    your faithful readers have
    already learned a great deal
    about Swedish style ~ and heart ~
    from you, Monika. Thank you
    for that!
    xx Suzanne

• Oh how I would LOVE to come to your presentation!! And looks like there are a few more books I need to pick up for my collection!

• Hi Monika!
    OOH I love it when you get all Swedishy! Love everything about this post….. I would love to go there sometime… And that Mora Clock is gorgeous!!!!!!!Maryanne xo

• Eddie Ross says:

How could you not love Scandinavian design… gorgeous!

E+J

How exciting and what a pity I can’t be there. I would have loved to hear you talk about your passion – I know you will deliver a captivating and fantastic 2 hours!
    Will it be filmed/recorded? I’d love to see/hear it!!

It’s not even six in the morning here in Sydney and I have been up for the last two hours – utterly unable to sleep. Had a wonderful day yesterday with blazing sun and 9 holes of golf with my husband who had taken the day off. Today the rain is pouring (in Sydney it never drizzles – it always pours!) and I am dreaming of the crisp Autumn skies in Sweden. Homesick.. (isn’t the transition always the hardest..!?)

Your (small) parcel should arrive any day now (they said 4-7 days). See it as a little hug from me to you & the kids.

sis xx

• Monika, I am so excited for you. I only wish I was closer so that I could hear your talk.

I know you will do a wonderful job, and as Charlotta has said, if it is taped, please let us know how we can see it!

best wishes, Donna

• How fun! Can’t wait to hear more about it….my most beloved interiors ever!!

• Monika, we are sooo excited for you to have your talk on Swedish design! We hope you will share with everyone the delicious images that have been appearing on your blog over the years. Many, many thanks for including our books
    Swedish Interiors and Swedish Country Interiors in this post!!! Swedish design is always on our minds too! Have fun at your presentation! xoo Edie & Rhonda

• It’s hard not to be consumed with the lovely Swedish style and you do it so well. I would give anything to be able to attend. I know you will knock it out of the park. Good luck! Mona

• The Zhush says:

I really want a blue Gustavian Grandfather clock badly…forgive me if I am completely botching the name here…the clock featured here is stunning! (that’s too bad about the corporate gig…but at least we get your full attention here in blog land a bit longer..at least until the smart people snatch you up fast!)xx

• Julie at BV says:

Dear Monica,

I’m so happy for you Mon, if there is anyone who can speak broadly about great Swedish style that’s you. Congratulations.

P.S. I have Lars Bolander’s book and it’s fantastic, I had the pleasure of meeting him a couple of weeks ago and he is a very funny and charming man.

• Therese Long says:

Hi Mon,

That is such exciting news. I can’t think of anyone better suited to give this talk than you. Not only your heritage and knowledge but it’s your warm personality that will truly make it something special. I wish you luck, but don’t think you’ll need it.
    Sorry I’ve been MIA lately… but I’m back.
    I’m sending you my love and positive energy.

• Monika, this is wonderful! I wish I could be there to cheer you on — though I just know you will do fabulously. They could not have selected a better person :) Also, that book looks fabulous. That’s something about books — they inspire each person in different ways — there is something so refreshing in that. But onto Swedish style — I love it, and am constantly learning more through you and your blog. It’s a beautiful style, and I’m so glad that you are going to be sharing more about it on Thursday. Keep us posted! They’re in for a real treat!

Much love to you my friend,
    Sarah

p.s thanks for the email — I will write back soon…

• Style Attic says:

That is just amazing and and honor to be able to speak about your passion. Those present will be truly blessed…I just wish I could be there to hear in person!

So many interiors that make me stop and take note are Swedish. Go forth and educate and spread the stylish love!!

XO,

Kelly

• Ann says:

Good luck with the presentation.

Thanks for the gorgeous images.

Scandinavian designs are one of the world’s best not only in interiors…

• So very exciting mon.. I wish I was there to attend. Seattleites I am soo jealous!!Good luck Mon and I can’t wait to hear all about it. When are you coming over to inject a bit of your Swedish aesthetics to my home? xoxo

• Congratulations, Monika! I’m sure you did a wonderful job! There’s no one better suited to speak on Swedish design. Very happy for you and I can’t wait to hear all about it.

Kelly

• Leigha says:

Yay Mon! Hope the talk went wonderfully…wish I could have made it up to Seattle.

Leigha

• Tina says:

Hi Mon!
    Lovely post, very Swedish, I like!
    Ps. Jag har en bild av din katt som jag tänkte använda i mitt inlägg om ditt hem. Vad heter skönheten?
    Kram Tina

• just checking in to see how your talk went…..

I know everyone enjoyed it – but sometimes it’s a relief to have something like that behind you…!

thinking of you!

now, spend your weekend relaxing!

Donna

• Hello!I just found your blog while surfing around and I just wanted to say that I find it really sweet, personal and very much fun to read. I am an interior designer, swedish and living in Madrid. Greetings from Natalia

• Stina Cowan says:

Thank you Monika for a wonderful speech. I am so happy that you wanted to share your design expertise with us at the Museum! Tack! Kram Stina

• Stacey says:

Awww, i’m a bit late to wish you good luck on your talk. However, i do not doubt that you did an amazing job! Warmest congratulations to you! XX

• That fireplace is to die for! Sorry I’ve been a lousy blog friend of late, Mon! Busy, busy, busy :) Hope you are well!

• Tereza says:

I love Swedish style and I’m happy for you.
    I’d love to go to Sweden one day, who knows.

• how exciting! Love the foyer with the desk and chair…wish I could be there to hear you speak!