Jun
2010

A Swedish Home & Dreams Via Seattle

I am surrounded by many great friends and friends of friends with lovely homes. It is about time that I start sharing how some of them live! They are not professional designers (although they could be if they wanted to!), they are just ordinary people like most of us, with a strong passion for design and an excellent eye for creating wonderful and personal homes. Nothing is pretend, nothing is staged. This is the real deal.

Meet my close & wonderful friend Pernilla! Every time we get together, we forget about everything else and just chat about design for hours non-stop. We are equally passionate design nerds! (And my little William and Pernilla’s little Klara are close friends and destined to end up as a married couple some 30 years from now – we Moms have decided!).

Pernilla is from Sweden and this girl lives it too! Lots of white and many classic Scandinavian design pieces. Like many Swedes her great style is simple and fresh.

Her wonderful & handy (!) husband just made this long dining table to go with their Danish Waegner chairs. I think it turned out fantastic!

Pernilla loves mixing white and black with added pops of color.

No home is Swedish without a classic, gray sheep skin.

Pernilla and her husband are seriously contemplating buying a second home in Sweden. A lovely vacation spot to call home from home. And this is what they are swooning over right now. (Hold on to your hats!).

When Pernilla just recently discovered this place she immediately interrupted her husband’s business meeting just so he could start putting the energy out there for this house! I would interrupt my husband too! What a house for relaxing days and easy living!

The house is situated in the southern parts of Sweden (Skåne).

What a great mix of old and new. And what a light and airy home. Stunning in my book.

This house has Pernilla’s name all over it. I can so see her in it! And I can so see myself visiting – often, often! In fact, I might be that horror guest that just keeps on extending and extending my stay!

Happy new week to you all! Let it be a good one!

Images – house in Skane via Hemnet. All other images via Splendid Willow.
Written by Splendid Willow in: Knock, Knock! May we come in? |

• Tina says:

Vad fint hon har hemma – och jag hoppas de får det där huset! Hm, kanske du kan berätta åt henne att det finns en tjej som heter Tina som mer än gärna också skulle hälsa på i några månader..?! 😀

How gorgeous Monika to meet your good friend Pernilla. It’s so lovely to see real homes and this one is no exception. So full of Swedish light and charm – needless to say I could move in right now! :)
    The house in Skåne is beyond perfect – what a place! It has it all and I think you need to tell Pernilla that if they buy it she may get a knock on the door by family of strangers from Sydney.. :)

Kram
    x C

• Monika, I can see why you two are such good friends; you have so much in common! What a lovely home she has!!! Just beautiful. I still don’t understand how the Swede’s manage to live in such white homes with young children. We would have chocolate or juice stains all over the place :-).
    Have a wonderful week!!

Tricia

• Willow Decor says:

What fun to meet your good friend, Pernilla!! Beautiful home. I particularly like all the artwork – especially the piece over the console table. Just beautiful!! The Skane house is a dream!! Great post, sis!!

• Annika says:

Thanks for great inspiration Mon! Thanks to Pernilla too for letting us enjoy her beautiful home! :)

• Mon, so glad you featured Pernilla’s home. She looks like a wonderful friend to have. I love her style; so clean and stylish. I think my favorite thing is all the wonderful art work. The piece over the sofa and those over the mantle have so much personality!

And here’s to keeping fingers crossed for that lovely Swedish home, too.

Love to you, Mon! Donna

• Carole says:

Hi Mon. Happy Monday. Thanks for sharing Pernilla’s home. Its absolutely lovely and she is so lucky to have such a handy hubby. Hope she gets her second home in Sweden!

• Janell Beals says:

The dining room is just so beautiful in its simplicity…and her husband made the table?!? Tell me about the artwork above the fireplace, it is really quirky and makes the space! (along with the table…)
    Janell

Monika,
    Your friend’s house is wonderful! Love all of it!

• Piper says:

Oh wow, her home is all kinds of lovely!! That dining table is fantastic – I can’t believe her husband made it! And I just love how serene it is with all the white and black and grey…just gorgeous! I can see why you both are friends with all that in common :)

• wow such a beautiful home Monika! love that kitchen (in the country home) so much! have a great week! xo

• liza says:

This is beautiful, Monika! What a great post and a great idea for a post. I love the artwork in Pernilla’s home, the works of people in that childlike style. Can you tell me who the artist is?? Pernilla, thank you for sharing your lovely home and potential home with us. Theyre so beautiful.

• Monika,Your friend’s home is really lovely. So clean and fresh looking. I love the white and black with the pops of color. Her husband is very talented too. Wow, and he may be purchasing that fabulous vacation home for her as well? She is truly a lucky girl. I’m sure you just have the greatest of times chatting together about all the things you both admire and enjoy.. You are lucky too!

• Kim says:

I meant to add that I think your website is so interesting
    and fun! So many posts to explore, I can’t wait to browse more. Appreciate the beautiful, high quality pictures. Bravo!

I couldn’t help but appreciate the Gotland wool featured in Pernilla’s house. As we talked about on Friday, it’s one of my favorite ‘Swedish traditions’! I need to send you pictures of Gotland when we visited the different sheep ranches. Should look familiar to you :)

• Trish says:

Hi Monika…oh that pool! And I love the photo of the striped pillow and wire sculptures…did you take the photos?! Gorgeous. Such gorgeous clean, crisp design…love the touch of blue. Thank you, wonderful Monika. Hope your summer vacation with the kids is off to a great start! XO Trish

• Mia says:

Hi Mon
    She has the most lovely home and all the nice stuff, the Wegner y-chair is a favourite. And the house in Skåne … – it’s gorgeous!

Have a great week!
    Kramar Mia

Ps. Visst är det kul att göra egna “hemma-hos-reportage”? Jättefina bilder!

• This post was so much fun Monika! Her home is gorgeous! I especially like the different types of artwork from the strange faces to the quoted frames.

Wishing you a lovely week sweetie! I’m off to Vancouver tomorrow for the summer!

• Åh woooow! Så vackert :) Vad roligt att få kika in lite i hennes hem. Blev helt fullständigt kär i hennes bord… kan undra om hennes man gör dem på beställning?!

Kram Jenny

• what a great sense of style, Really clean and simple. I also like the artwork. And the potential holiday home is fantastic. How lucky to have two such nice houses.

• The Zhush says:

Wow! Because owning that fab home with that amazing dining room isn’t enough!? So jealous…seething! :) Good thing she looks like a really nice person. You Swedes and Scandinavians seems to have cornered the market on living well and good design…no wonder she (and I) covet that second home! Gorgeous post.

• Hi Monika!!! Catching up on your lovely blog.
    One of my close friends here is also from Sweden.
    Annelie has a design style very similar to Pernilla’s!
    Is it in the DNA???
    It’s a good thing that Annelie hasn’t seen this
    lovely place for sale in Sweden! She and her {uber-
    successful hubby} have a gorgeous second family home in
    Palm Springs, but I KNOW in her heart she would love
    a place in her birth country, as well.
    What a special place that Pernilla has found. Please
    keep us updated ~ would love to know if it does, indeed,
    become their own!
    xx Suzanne

• Pernilla’s home is just gorgeous – no wonder you too are such good friends :) How lucky of her to have such a handy husband – the dining room is stunning!

• Purple Area says: