Mar
2010

Vintage Star Constellation Charts On My Mind

Images from Thomas O’Brien’s wonderful NY apartment has been circulating in magazines and on blogs for quite some time. (Some claim his apartment is over-exposed, but I love it!). The single object that has caught my attention since I first saw it in 2007,  is his large hemisphere chart (navy blue). It has been in the back of my head, without even knowing what it was. And for the last past six months or so we have started to see planets and stars as themes in just about every design magazine and furniture catalog.

I do not want to adopt a whole room theme but I still find those vintage star constellation charts so attractive and so perfect for classy boys – young and old!  I think they would make for the perfect wall art for my little William (2.5) who is now ready to leave his baby room (or his Mom is!) and move into a cozy room suited for a big boy.

I have been lurking on Ebay for a while and missed winning a chart similar to this (don’t even get me started on that story, it just makes my want to cry!)

But then a few weeks ago I found these lovely vintage Astronomy Celestial maps (ca 1894) on E-bay. Not identical, but similar in style and quite handsome. And these I won for a mere $27! They will work just fine until the perfect piece comes along. (Or I might never want to depart from them!)

I had them framed at Aaron Brothers (leading framing store chain). We all know that framing can be hugely expensive. So to save a little, I actually bought two of their square (16×16 inches or 41×41 cm) pre-made white frames on the the big frame sale day (40% off) instead of having them make something for me. I only had them cut the matting and saved even more money by putting it all together myself.

I picked them up yesterday on our way home from Canada. Pretty nice for a 2.5 year old’s room, don’t you think? (Sorry for my mediocre images. They look better in real!)

These will work as inspiration for the rest of Prince William’s room. I have no idea where I am going with this. But when designing a room I like to start with one thing that I really like and have the rest follow. More on this room to come. Hope you don’t mind!

Happy Easter to you all – if we don’t talk before! You are the best!

Image 1+ 2 via House&Home, Image 3. via Habitually Chic, Image 4. via the lovely Space for Inspiration, Egg image via We Heart It. All others via Splendid Willow.

Written by Splendid Willow in: Art & Antiques,My Home |

• Julie says:

Hi Monika
    Well this is a post after my own heart.. I think depending on the framing used they could suit any gender or age frame.. Of course seeing I am infatuated with anything celestial that helps. haha… Love the prints you snaffled… I think I’ll be on the lookout myself now… have a great day xx Julie [ps thanks for your oh so lovely comment.. truly made my day]

• Oh those images of the maps are splendid, your ebay finds too! Perfect for little prince william!

• Sofia says:

Beautiful!
    My William (5) wants planets on his wall too…star wars of course! I’d post a picture here if I could but it would certainly not inspire to any decorating ideas, apart from very 70’s kitsch ones!
    Sofia

Monika,
    The maps are gorgeous!!!!!!!! I want them!!!!!

Nice done my friend!

Grattis / congratulations!
    I am so glad you found something!!..and they look great darling.
    The framing is fab – well done!

Personally, I can’t wait to see the rest. I love it when you share snippets of your beautiful room.

KRAM
    xx sis

• The Zhush says:

Oh please keep us posted on this! I love this idea, like the sailors of history, you are letting the stars guide the way!

Lovely finds, Monica! Which search critera did you use on E-bay? Happy Easter!

• tinajo says:

It´s the first time here on your blog but I´ll come back – you have some great stuff going on! :-) Thanks for the inspiration!

• kiki says:

Look out!!!!You might have a budding Astronomer or even an Astronaut soon in the room. So cool!!
    kiki

• These are great! Happy Easter!

• sweetheart, you are talking my language here. that one large chart is divine. but I do love the smaller ones you won and framed. you are so RIGHT about building a room around those. they are THAT good. we do want more, don’t worry, and we will look forward to it…Happy Easter, Mon! Donna

Splendid Willow Reply:

Joe in NY: I search under Astronomy in the catergory of Antiques. Good Luck!

Happy Easter to everyone! I am enjoying family & friends and the Easter bunny this weekend!

Hugs, Monika

• Great finds Monika!! Happy Easter to you and yours :)

• Hope says:

Love this! So cool and have a great Easter :)

• Wishing you a happy and blessed Easter xx Gypsy Purple

Hej !
    Här finns det visst en hel del inspiration att hämta.

Glad Påsk ! Hoppas att du får en mysig helg.

Stor Kram

Hej – nu ar jag tillbaks med en liten ‘tag’ till dig. Titta in hos mig sa far du se.

Kram
    sis x

• FLAVIANA says:

Dear Monika
    what a great job you did!Those constellation prints are lovely and will make your big boy room looks sooo cool!
    Please show me some more pics ,I do am curious..;)
    Wish you a Happy ,sweet Easter with your family!
    Xo, Flaviana

• Hi Monica!
    Those charts are gorgeous!!! I’m sorry you missed the one on Ebay but you will find another one I know!!!! Love that last shot on this post! Happy Easter! Maryanne xo

• KMD Atelier says:

Happy Easter Monika! Oh, the thrill of the hunt! Really love your inspiration for Prince William’s room. Cannot wait to see where it leads :)

• Oh, this is fabulous..! I love the vintage constellation prints and the simple white-on-white frames. A perfect starting point for what I am certain will be a perfect room for young William. Beautiful, Monika! Can’t wait to see the rest!

I hope you had a wonderful Easter weekend, dear.

much love,