Feb
2010

A Home For Desserts

Oh how happy my desserts would be in an antique cupboard like this in our dining room. It would function as a buffet and it would be the center piece of the room. My guests would be served only Champagne (I go nuts for Champagne!) from simple, antique flutes together with the most decadent individual Pavlovas. Certain rooms in my home are definitely more modern, but I love my dining room old style with a lot of heart & warmth. (Also love the Magnolia branches in the gray vase. No need for masses of flowers).

I am so going to try to make my own Pavlovas (discs of meringue layered with organic whipped cream and fresh strawberries) this weekend.

I found the recipe (and these images,  from an old magazine) in Oprah At Home. Does this look heavenly or what? Here is the recipe.

And a little bit of history, folks:

Pavlova is a named after the Russian ballet dancer Ánna Pávlova. Colloquially referred to as “pav“, it is a cake of meringue with a crispy crust and soft, light inner. The dessert is believed to have been created to honour the dancer during or after one of her tours to Australia and New Zealand in the 1920s. Where it was created and the nationality of its creator has been a source of argument between the two nations for many years, but research indicates New Zealand as the source.

I don’t blame them – I would fight hard for that dessert too!

Happy rest of the week, friends!

Written by Splendid Willow in: Just Because I Like It |

• What a lovely image! I like every single thing about it…the magnolia branches in the grey vase is my favorite part. I have a vase remarkably similar — I think I will try that look with it, for a little change :)

And, also, thanks for sharing this info. about Pavlova…except, now I’m searching for something sweet and delicious!

Hope you’re having a lovely week, as well / xo

Hoppas att resten av din vecka blir underbar !
    Jag gillar både din beskrivning och bilden på skåpet. Jag fortsätter drömma.

Kram

• koralee says:

I agree sweet friend…everything about these images makes me very happy today! I will be right over to celebrate with you! xoxoxoxo

• Trish says:

Beautiful photos…almost the next best thing. Can almost taste the champagne. Merci! Trish

• Rebecca says:

Deliciously simple, both the cupboard and the Pavlovas. Thanks for making my day sweeter.

‘Yum!’ for the cabinet, Pavlova and for heavenly Magnolia branches! I go weak at the knees when the Magnolia trees blossom in Spring.
    There is a deep love for Pavlova here in Australia and a favourite on our family table too.
    Thanks for the recipe – I too shall attempt this.

Kram
    xCharlotta

• oh my more than heavenly! so beautiful pictures too!

• That cabinet is a dream! So lovely! The Pavlova looks AMAZING! I might have to give it a go, too! xo

• Mia says:

Åh, vad gott det ser ut! Och vad sugen jag blev på champagne … Trevlig helg. Kram Mia

• Oh, I love the cabinet and the dessert..! Beautiful – and delicious! (And I love the little history behind Pavlovas. I feel like I always learn something new when I visit your place – thank you.)

Have a great weekend, dear Monika!

xoxo,
    -maria

• Jennifer says:

Mon, Nigela Lawson, the British cook makes these too. They are so super easy and yummy. Nigela sprinkles Pomegranate seeds over hers. I was thinking for the chocolate lovers, pomegranate seeds and chocolate drizzles would be brilliant.

I use Parchment paper on a cookie sheet, make a circular sort of form with the pavlova while is soft, and flatten it out a bit in the middle prior to baking. I can imagine a hundreds of ways to top them. Home made whipped cream and fresh berries, to chocolate and carmel.
    Jennifer

Splendid Willow Reply:

Thank you all! With your support I feel brave enough to actually go ahead and buy the ingredients – today. And then let’s see if magic happens! I will give you a report. Happy weekend – to you all! Cyber hug, Mon

• eva says:

yum. how did you know that i’d been craving pavlova?

• Looks so yummy, enjoy!
    Happy weekend.

• That’s a beautiful picture! I agree the Magnolias are perfect….Good luck on the Pavlovas…..If there’s any left over send them over here…….Maryanne xo

• Julie at BV says:

Um… everything in these images says magic. Simply beautiful

• Hmmm…Pavlovas…so beautiful. I get so excited when they are on dessert menus. They are so special. Great post!

• This is lovely! I like everything about this antique cupboard/buffet. I imagine it in a country home…perhaps in Sweden! 😉

xo,
    Crystal

• so yummy. i will have to try this recipe. thanks. i love champagne and old style dining rooms too.

• Absolutely adore Pavlova – one of my favourite desserts. Satisfies my wicked sweet tooth but is still so light and refreshing with fresh fruit.

• Recipes says:

Great Post, what do your reader think about jamie oliver? There are some very good jamie oliver inspited recipes mydish. I have also sent this post to my facebookprofile.