Feb
2010

Perfect DIY Projects For Me (and maybe you)

Image via Flickr

Happy Tuesday to you wonderful friends! (I took Monday off due to President’s day. All we did was to enjoy the sun which is not always out in lovely Seattle!).

I don’t know about you, but in these times of economic down turn, we are paying more attention to our budget than ever before. No unneccesary purchases. I am so tired of things anyway. I want less – not more. I want to surround myself with good quality objects and things I really LOVE. And for the first time I am so ready to take on some Do-It-Yourself projects not only for budget reasons but also to bring even more personality and heart into my home.

There are 3 things that I would love to start and hopefully also get finished in March. (Am I too ambitious?). And this is where I was going to show you a close-up image of my $37 (!) consignment wing back chair before it will get a makeover (and I know it is going to look fabulous once its done! Maybe like below).

Wherever I look – I see fabulous wingback chairs….

Image via House Beautiful

Image via Coco &  Kelly

I was also going to show you a fabulous mirror (found at the same store) that I am going to paint. But you see, Prince William (2.5 years) took off with the camera on Valentine’s day – and it is nowhere to be found! I have turned the whole house upside down. Zip, nix, nada. Camera is in hiding.

So here is a 1 year old image of the chair and me (with the criminal!). You can’t see much but at least it will give you an idea. (I will bring you more pics as soon as the camera has resurfaced! The chair has wonderful bones and is so comfortable. It is just in need of some love and a good upholstery makeover.

Camera thief – Prince William!

Here is another project that I saw over at A Perfect Gray. And now I want this in my home too! The talented home owner/blogger (yes, that is her lovely living room!) put together those wall panels with mirrors. Hello!! She had two of these lovely antique French panels. And on them she attached vintage  Sunburt mirrors. (I might visit my local antique restorer and have him make a pair of panels for me). How lovely! How personal! How Splendid! (And her white wingback chair looks like mine – pre-makeover.)

Any DIY projects you are extra proud of and would like to share with us? Please step forward, friends! We all want to learn some new tricks!

Image via Flickr
Written by Splendid Willow in: DIY | Tags:

Mon that is great – I love DIY but like you I rarely find the time to embark on bigger and juicier projects. I so look forward to seeing your transformations and completely agree with you on the stunning (!) panels and sun burst mirrors! Wow – I want some now as well, but will probably have to wait as we are focusing on shedding stuff (not gaining.. sigh) in light of our plans to move to Sweden (yay!).

Good luck with your projects!

xCharlotta

Monica, can’t wait to see what U do with the chair & the mirror. Hope the camera is not lost 4ever. (He sure is adorable, your little one!) Best!

• Giovanna says:

i love wingback chairs…these are gorgeous, as is your adorable little one!

• Monica, I can’t wait to see your DIY project take shape. How inspiring! Are you thinking a white chair or pattern? I sure love that ikat wingback chari that you posted. You prince is very handsome! Have a great week! Kari

• Jane says:

Hi Monika – naughty but cute little camera thief – that is so annoying. Lets hope the camera hasn’t gone out with the rubbish!! I love your wingback chair idea. I agree they add a lot to a living room. If you are reupholstering it yourself you are very brave.

I have a DIY I posted yesterday. It’s pretty weird so I will let you check it out yourself xoxo

• Courtney says:

Ooooh, the mirrors on the panels are gorgeous! What a fantastic idea. You and William are adorable as well! Good luck with your DIY projects. Springtime always feels like the perfect opportunity to tackle a to-do list.

Är kameran hittad än ?!
    Jag vet inte riktigt vilka projekt jag ska koncentrera mig på nu, men dina bider inspirerar mig :)

Kram

• You can never go wrong with a wingback chair. I can’t wait to see what you do with it. March is almost here, my dear, but I have faith you can do it. My goal for my chairs is some time this year! Ha! And that is the cutest thief I’ve ever seen! 😉

• Monika, I am totally flattered that you featured my sunburst mirrors on your blog. You are too kind. Thanks so much for the love. AND, I totally love your wingback chair. Both of the ones you see in my photo were from thrift stores; I just recovered them in white cotton canvas. Yours looks pretty yummy like it is. Is it a kind of rasberry corduroy? I guess I am craving a little color right now. Can’t wait to see how it turns out. Please post photos both before and after! Looking forward to following you!

• ah my friend you and the price look adorable. love the wingback chair inspiration. CANNOT wait to see what you do with it. Im sure whatever you do will be good inspiration for what i do with my thrift store found wingback.
    hope the camera surfaces soon.

• ps that was you and the prince(your gorgeous baby)

• Oh what a sweet little thief!!! 😉

I cannot WAIT to see these fabulous projects of yours! Wingback chairs are one of my favorite things! Keep us posted!

Have a beautiful week! xo

• Good luck finding your camera – oh, the naughty little thief! Glad for his sake he’s adorable. Can’t wait to see the wing chair makeover!

• Prince William and you are a regal pair!

Because I’m an art history gal, I have to take a moment to do a formal analysis of the last picture. What caught my eye: curve of brown-leather chair and antique panels; rectilinear simplicity of branch mirrors and its echo in door frame/ side of antique panels; curvilinear form of dog bookends with scrolls of glass side table, etc., etc.

This is what makes good design, right? The reference within the reference and so forth. How fun!

• How did I miss this picture of you with young William??? Adorable..! And the little glimpse of your home?? I love it, too! Maybe at some point you’ll give us a little more..? 😉

much love,