Feb
2010

Before & After – Lovely Room Facelifts

I am constantly fixing, re-doing and moving things around in my house. But sometimes I get stuck in my own thought processes and the creativity well is running mighty low. Thank goodness for the blog world, that’s all I can say! There are some ultra mega talented & creative people out there to learn from and get inspired by. Just look at these rooms with  updates/makeovers we all can do in our own homes without starting from scratch and bringing in the big sledge hammer.

First some images from blogger extraordinarie Brooke Giannetti over at Velvet & Linen. Her dining room went through some styling for a recent photo shoot. (And I hope she keeps the new look!)

The dining room went from this sweet and more traditional room.

To this. A much more clean and current look. A mix between traditional and modern – e.g transitional. I love how she incorparated a zinc industrial dining table and mixed chairs (she kept Grandma’s in the middle!). (People, furniture sets of any kinds are just, shall we say, not very personal). Her leather covered chairs are beautiful (really like the color and nailheads) and I love her new simple lantern and the Merida rug. (Brooke gets an extra star in my book because of her love for and knowledge about Swedish antiques!)

Another absolutely wonderful blogger Janell Beals, with Isabella & Max Rooms, based in my neighboring state Oregon, has me all hooked and drooling over some of her inspirational rooms. This was Janell’s family room before she decided to give her room a light facelift. Oh come on, we have all seen this look!

And here it is now. The fireplace mantel she felt was not in proportion to the built-ins (and she was right). So, a new mantel was built and then everything in dark wood was painted in a soft tan. With her color choice and updated furniture, this room went from ok to fabulous! You absolutely rock, girl!

Here are a few other room makeovers, via DesignSponge, that made me stop in my tracks.

A little bit more extensive work here (but handy people can most definitely pull this off themselves). A custom vanity was built and stained in a light blue-gray. The old mirror was reused (with a new frame) and a light was hung above a new sink and faucet from Lowes. The rubber floors were replaced with marble tile from a local stone shop, and the marble theme continued on the walls with inexpensive tiles which were cut in half and placed in a brick pattern. For more on this project go here.

Now to this kitchen re-do that is beyond lovely and created by rockstar designer/blogger Lauren over at the fabulous Pure Style Home.

She and hubby did this themselves with some elbow grease. I had to do a double take. People, it is not even the same room!

They started by ripping down the upper cabinets and  putting up beadboard & shelving. They replaced the kitchen floors, painted the cabinets themselves and added inexpensive nickel drawer pulls and knobs. They painted their dishwasher in the same color as the cabinets (did not even prep for it.)  And the best of all, they had the fridge PAINTED in chalkboard paint. My yaw just dropped! If this is not getting your creative juices flowing, then I do not know what will!. For more on this project go here.

And not so much a room makeover but rather a chandelier makeover that dear blog friend Erin recently wrote about on her lovely blog This Lovely City. I just couldn’t resist!

How cute is that! In time for Valentine’s Erin hung some antique (poetry perhaps?) pages in her chandelier. And the whole room gets a unique and personal lift! You know you already have a loyal fan here, Erin!

I feel I need to take a serious look at my own dining room, my cabinets (although I have had the family room entertainment center and fireplace mantel professionally spray painted in a darker gray/green (“Equestrian Gray” by Benjamin Moore) and it looks fantastic).  But please do not paint yourself if you are not an expert. You don’t want to ruin the look and see brush strokes all over!).

This is exactly the inspiration kick I was in need of. Thank you all creative people out there! I hope that I gave you some new ideas as well. Happy rest of the week lovely readers. You are the best!

Written by Splendid Willow in: Before & After |

• Federica says:

Oh wow! Amazing! The first two pics are gorgeous! I love the kitchen too!
    Thanks so much for all your kind words.
    Don’t miss the Valentine’s Day Giveaway, tomorrow on Sweet as a Candy :-)
    Hugs
    Federica

• These are absolutely amazing. I’m so glad that you posted them. They are really inspirational.

The living room change is fantastic and the kitchen is remarkable.

• oh my! I’m absolutely amazed with the kitchen re-do. so beautiful! xo

Monika,
    These are wonderful before and ofter rooms! I had seen the room of Brooke and I love it a lot! And the kitchen of Lauren!! My goodness! She did a wonderful job!

• mon, i fell flat once i saw the dining room. its super gorgeous!! then the kitchen i absolutely love the new look and since i just painted my kitchen white, this is lovely inspiration for next steps. great post! x

• Wow! what great before and afters! Thanks for posting.

Nice post, Monica! Yes, so many talented people out there. I need to check out their blogs. The chandelier is also wonderful. Beautiful images. Any snow yet in Seattle?

• Love the chandelier idea. Thanks for posting that. Glad to discover you and look forward to staying in touch!

• Anna-Malin says:

hej!!

jag kan kommentera idag!! yipee :)
    vilket inspirerande inlägg! älskar före och efter bilder!!
    köket var ju bara så fint och sen gillar jag kristallkronan så klart…..nu ska jag klicka in på länkarna!

ha det bäst!!

stor kram
    anna-malin

• Rebecca says:

Janell’s family room looks beautiful. A stunning change that many people could do to their family room spaces! And how clever the chalk board paint on the fridge. Thanks for sharing these with us Monika!

• gaia says:

Darling this is a great post! I love the kitchen and the bathroom! So bright and fresh!

I need more inspirations for my FIRST home! Thanks for your nice words!

• I’d seen some of these, but a couple of them are new to me. I’m smitten with the chandelier idea – so very sweet..! I’m off to check out Erin’s site. Thanks for posting, Monika – and have a great weekend, dear.

xoxo,
    -maria

• Wow – what a transformation! Really love the black board kitchen + open storage in the bathroom. Just perfect.

• Janell Beals says:

Thanks for including me in such a creative group!! Thanks! Janell

• Monika! I am truly honored to be included in such a beautiful post! Thank you so very much :)

Lauren’s kitchen makeover is one of my all time favorite before + afters and all over the other makeovers are equally inspiring! Have *the best* weekend my dear! xo

Splendid Willow Reply:

Thank you friends! I am coming down with a cold/flu/something yucky (shivering like an old tree!) so I am going to pull the covers over my head for a day or so. You will see me much more alert next week. Happy Valentine’s to you all! Cyber hug, Mon

• leila says:

i just LOVE those bookpages from the chandelier such a great idea! the rest of the table looks stunning too! oh and i love that chalkboard refrigerator!

All of these are fantastic! I love it when people progress like this.
    My favourite is the dining room and in particular the zinc table.. What a fantastic space it is now!

Hope you are all well over there. Missing you and hope to speak soon (langtar hem!).

Kram xCharlotta

• Thank you so much Monika!
    I’m so honored to have my sunroom re-do included with all of these amazing before and after projects!
    I love Lauren’s kitchen, but I hadn’t seen the other rooms that you featured.
    Thank you for the introduction to more talented bloggers!

Brooke

• I love a good before and after – it is always so inspirational!

You should enter this in Between Naps on the Porch ‘Metamorphosis Monday’ where everyone posts on changes. I think she usually puts the post up on Sunday night.

• Hei Monika
    Så nydelige bilder fra noen flotte hjem du viser på bloggen!
    Jeg beklager at, jeg ikke har fått sagt takk for dine hyggelige kommentarer før nå. Jeg vil du skal vite, at de betyr meget for meg!
    Min beste venninne er meget syk og ligger for døden, noe som gjør at jeg ikke er meg selv, og som gjør det vanskelig for meg å tenke på noe annet. Tiden består mest av å vente, derfor sitter jeg meget ved min blogg – men det er litt vanskelig å snakke med noen – jeg håper du forstår…
    Jeg ønsker deg en deilig uke med mange gleder og fine stunder!
    Lene

• Loving Erin’s chandelier! Thanks for sharing :)

Hope you’re having an amazing week so far,

• […] up is A Perfect Gray. You might recall my post about her sunburst mirror project. Well, I  have since gotten to know wonderful Donna even more and she is totally obsessed with the […]