Feb
2010

Valentine’s Preparations

Image via WeHeartIt

Don’t expect many great Valentine’s ideas from my corner of the world! Birthdays and anniversaries – bring it on! But Valentine’s day is just not for me. I am sorry. (Maybe I am not romantic, horror! I haven’t thought about that.) I don’t know what it is, I just don’t like the idea of celebrating love on a special day (assigned by others) on the calendar. My poor hubby knows not to get flowers on that day or even dinner reservations. Having said that – I will absolutely make the day special for our little ones and the near & dear around us.

After I have finished this post (around midnight), I will get back to my match box project. I made them for little Elsa’s class last year and they were hugely popular (see last year’s post). I cover small match boxes with pretty paper and decorate them. This  year I will pack them with small chocolate hearts.

Ok, friends here is a a follow-up picture. This is what I have accomplished last night. 8 more boxes to go!

Image via Martha Stewart

A yummy dessert of some sort will also be made. Chocolate – well of course!

And cards will be most definitely be going out. Now what I am about to write  makes me more giddy than a Valentine’s dinner. I won, people! I won a whole set of lovely Valentine’s cards as a giveaway on the FABUTASTIC blog The City Sage. (A must read blog for everyone). Anne e-mailed me and I almost made a summersault. I never, ever win anything! So thank you Dear Anne! The company behind the cards is the Minted. They offer a whole range of wonderful cards for holidays and celebrations. A treasure trove in my opinion!

Any fun & personal Valentine’s ideas you want to share wit me & us?

Written by Splendid Willow in: Holidays & Celebrations |

• So sweet! As for ideas, hmmm…still contemplating. I really like doing personal notes with something tiny — a little gift that is meaningful :)

Hej hej halloj!
    I love your little match box treats! Are the ones in the pic the ones you did for Elsa’s class? I want to do some now too! I usually do them for Xmas, to count down for Christmas Eve but now I am all fired up to do Valentine’s boxes too! Brilliant idea!

Though I agree on you about the commercial / forced aspect of the V-day, I take any excuse to receive fabulous flowers.. I adore them and can’t ever get enough. :)

Ideas.. hmmm. I think hiding love notes here and there is always a nice treat, as is sending special messages via post to ‘dear someones’ around the world.
    One year I hand made tea bags with personalized messages for my family and surprised them with a very elaborate breakfast. It was very well received.

Regardless, it is good to know that there are a lot of loving people out there who are geared to brighten the life of someone special. Even if they only do so because the calendar tells them to.

Hope you have a fab day and I can’t wait to see the new boxes!!

KRAM!
    xC

• Janell Beals says:

Those match boxes are absolutely adorable!!!! And love the photo of them, great job! Janell

• The matchbox treats – what a sweet idea, Monika! They’re lovely. And I love that first photo you posted. I have similar feelings about Valentine’s Day, so I understand completely. :)

Congrats on your win, by the way! I’m so very happy for you..!

xoxo,
    -maria

• Courtney says:

Congratulations on your win! Those cards are adorable. So are your matchbox Valentines, by the way. What an excellent idea!

I’m not really into the holiday either, but I’m always a fan of pink and hearts, so I love seeing Valentine’s Day crafts and such.

• koralee says:

I must say your ideas are lovely. Those matchbox treats are so so sweet. I do do Valentines day…my girls wait all year long for this sweet day. I think yours will be lovely… sweet friend. Lucky you to win such adorable cards. Happy day to you!

Splendid Willow Reply:

Thank you dear friends! I have added a fresh image featuring my own creations. I am not the most super crafty person on the planet – but these are good enough for little ones, I think. Cyber hug to you all!

• oh Mon, these match boxes are so cute! how lucky you are for winning such gorgeous cards!
    thank you for your sweet comment today! xo

• You pulled together the loveliest list for someone who isn’t a fan of Valentine’s Day! Your matchboxes are absolutely darling!! xo

• The match box Valentines are adorable!!!! And must be fun for the children (and Mom) to make. The recipients will be so thrilled.

Tricia

• Fifi Flowers says:

ADORABLE items! YUMMY treat!

• kiki says:

Hej och hå!!
    Vi pulsar på,… i snön fortfarande och MER kommer det och kan inte fatta att det snart är Valentine?!!!!
    Som gammal Monte.lärarinna kommer jag väl ihåg dessa dagar, då vi bokstavligen vadade i klister och glitter och hjärtan och önskar jag då hade denna söta ide med de små urgulliga boxarna. Vad jättesöta de är, Mon!!
    Kram till er alla från ett modernt VITT Sverige.
    KIKI

• I love those chocolate molten lava cakes and they’re not even that hard to make (and I’m no Martha).

• liza says:

That’s funny, I feel very much the same way. I make it special for Eddie, but do not want to make a hullabaloo of it with my husband (though any occasion that might have me receiving chocolate is not to be scoffed at). I LOVE the match boxes! Perhaps I can work on something similar for the Montessori group. Thank you! -Liza

• I’m not that into Valentine’s Day either…but these are adorable. Thanks!

• M – these matchboxes are to die for – what an amazing idea!!!

• Well I have no craft skills at all. Glue in any way shape or form makes me anxious. BUT I admire people like you who do this to make a special day even more special.Those box recepients will love them!!!!!!You go girl!Maryanne xo

• Kicki Eriksson says:

Lovely boxes!

Splendid Willow Reply:

Thank you Kicki E! How lovely to hear from you. (A lot of Kickis’ visiting)! Hug, Mon

• Splendid Willow, Camberley tweeted about your matchbox Valentine’s and I had to interject (being not the most crafty person either) that these are worth the tiny work. I don’t know if you knew that Etsy Labs in Brooklyn hosted a Valentine Matchbox workshop last Monday? While I got annoyed (Etsy posted a pic of me handing my folding over to the more able instructor;-)) with the tiny folds and gluing in small areas, I am so excited about giving my husband a homemade card.

• Joanna says:

I think Valentine’s Day is best celebrated with little ones with whom you can craft and bake. My favorite memories of the holiday are writing out and receiving valentines at elementary school. I loved creating my little valentine mailbox.

• Love those little matchboxes. My mum used to make us each a little Valentines package every year – with some sweets, a little gift and always a little love note. I still have all of them.

• mon, the matchboxes are GORGEOUS!! i love them and have to feature them on mochatini. it must have taken you a long time to make them. you must post a DIY on them. x

• […] how about this super pretty DIY matchboxes by monika of splendid […]