Jan
2010

Wallpaper Galore

When wonderful blog friend Ally, over at the From The Right Bank, asked her readers for wallpaper suggestions I immediately knew where to send her. It sounds crazy but I go all the way to Sweden, to a wonderful store in Malmoe called Tapetorama, for inspiration.

Their on-line selection is heavenly, I trust the Swedes to always be, tuned with current design trends. (And wallpaper is hotter than ever, people). They also carry a lot of historical & vintage papers. It struck me that I have not looked at their selection for almost a year, since I did some shopping over there myself. Here are a few lovelies:

4. Nagoya

9. Sweet Bay, 10. By Mimou. Brand also represented at Tapetorama, 11. Magnolia. 12. Elisa, 13. Fashion

And here is something for all of you who are looking for uniqueness on your walls. Recently a dear friend introduced me to Elisabeth Westerlund. Elisabeth is an artist in Sweden who works a lot in paper. She has also taken her artistry into the world of interior design. And look what she does! She takes different kinds of wallpapers and puts together tailor made wallpaper collages for her clients. I have never heard of this approach before and I find it quite compelling!
Take this room for instance. The owner of this small 2 bedroom Stockholm apartment wanted her home to look like an English 18th c. mansion. Elisabeth put together her unique one-of-a-kind wall paper collage with a range of different patterns and styles. Didn’t it turn out great?!
This is what Elisabeth herself is saying about her work: “We live with so many conventions in interior design. Even if not identical, we all have pretty much the same things in our homes e.g a sofa, a sofa table, a book shelf etc. Same with wallpaper. I just took what I know from the art world and applied it to the world of interiors. It is a crossover between art and home design.”
Look closely and try to see how many different kinds of wallpaper she has been working with. Whether you like wallpaper or not. You’ve got to admit that Elisabeth has a great feel for color and composition. I am looking forward to seeing  more of her work.
I just love all the talented and creative people that I get to meet in my blog corner of the world. You all make my life so much richer!
Written by Splendid Willow in: Home Goods & Accessories | Tags:

• anna says:

wallpaper collages?! Genius!!! I am going to post about this! and put the pics in the must-have section of my decor binder. Does Elisabeth have a website?

I really like the second wallpaper, Alhambra. My style! Elisabeth is very talented indeed. Always great posts here. Cheers!

• Rebecca says:

Westerlund’s wallpaper collages are stunning! Thank you for once again sharing something so creative and beautiful!

• Oh these are beautiful! I especially love the botanicals – they’re making me want to paper the dining room. What a great post!

• These are gorgeous! I especially love Brio Blanco…so graceful.

• Courtney says:

I really love the wallpaper collage idea! I might have to do some experimenting with that technique on my own.

• Oh I love wallpaper and I’m always on the lookout for new, exciting inspiration. The Swedish website is great… full of old faithfuls plus lots of new stuff – thanks for the tip off! Angela x

• Oooooh how compelling! Love what Elisabeth is doing…outside the grid, perfect! Love your insp paper too!

I see what you mean by the credenza…when I get the piano moved and the room painted I’ll know more. I thinks it’s a find too…and nobody wanted it at all. I saw it weeks ago when it was 35 bucks….and kept thinking about it (assuming it would be gone) lo and behold it was 50% off!

• anna says:

i reblogged you!

• koralee says:

Oh my…these are all so lovely. I am so into wallpaper..I love the patterned collage…sigh. I so want to add more wallpaper to my home. Happy weekend sweet friend.

• Oh, I’ve been itching to put wallpaper up somewhere for a year now… I am having a mad crush on wallpaper – I guess I’m waiting to see if it’ll pass or if it will stick around…

I love the idea of taking different wallpapers and putting them up together… I’ve seen walls where people make a sort of “quilt” out of old wallpaper samples – that looks really lovely as well… So many choices..!

Have a wonderful weekend, dear Monika!

xoxo,
    -maria

• Hei Mon
    Så mange superflotte tapeter du viser her! Jeg liker forresten ditt kallenavn, ut fra bildet, syns jeg det kler deg.
    Tusen takk for din meget hyggelige kommentar – også jeg syns golvene er fantastisk flotte. Noller (min mann) og jeg drømmer om å male et slikt golv.
    Ha en flott weekend!
    Lene

Monika,
    These wallpapers are gorgeous! Thank you for all these tips!

• They have such a beautiful selection. I’m more torn than ever! I was just looking at one very similar to the Floral 300 and seeing it posted here makes me like it even more. :) Thanks again, Mon. Have a lovely weekend! xoxo

• Wow! These are absolutely gorgeous. I love them.

And I’ve never seen those collages either. Too cool.

I think I’ll include this post in my Sunday blog roundup. Thanks for the post!

• Maria Killam says:

Love that first one on your list!! Beautiful paper!

• great post mon, i have been looking for wallpaper options for my entryway and you lead me in the right direction. first one is my fav. thanks gorgeous!

• eva says:

ohhh, i love wallpaper right now, so many new designs and ideas coming out, good finds!