Sep
2009

Remodeling Inspiration

I read a lot to find inspiration from all corners of the world. There is one post in particular from the always super fantastic blog Desire to Inspire (a daily must read people!) that I saw a few weeks ago that so inspired me and I simply can’t get it out of my head.

Take a look at these ordinary rooms which the talented and creative Canadian architecture and interior design company McGill Design Group were tasked to remodel. Would you believe the transformations! I mean are they even the same rooms? Yes they are! These before and after pictures got my own personal design juices to kick into over-drive.

Dining room before in an older Victorian home.

Dining room after. Yep, the same single window now dressed up with the perfect window treatments to create an illusion of several tall windows. And people, most hardwood floors can be stained if replacement is not in your immediate budget. I have done it many times myself (to that exact dark color).  Note the dark accent color and the lovely medallion in the ceiling.

Living room before.

Living room after.

True, they put some real effort into quality moldings and a built-in fireplace. But what a great investment!

Bedroom before. (This is my favorite transformation! Are you ready?!)

Bedroom after. Mama Mia! I absolutely love the look & feel of this bedroom. Both feminine and masculine. The colors are perfect. So crisp and fresh. Yes, the have spent a lot of money on quality built-ins, but the rest can be copied for a lot less if you are on a tight budget.

Do you like it as much as I do? Don’t be shy now! Your opinion counts!

Written by Splendid Willow in: Before & After,Lovely Rooms | Tags:

• WOW. That is amazing! I love seeing before and after projects.

Tricia

• EM Dixon says:

These rooms are gorgeous – just enough on the contemporary side of timeless – makes me want to buy a vintage house just to do a makeover like this!

• Marjolijn says:

This really is an amazing transformation! What a big difference between all befores and then afters! Before it looks quite ´messy´, a bit from this and that. But afterwards they really they did a good work by matching furniture, materials, fabrics…
    Fantastic!

• Marjolijn says:

By the way, I found your interesting blog through Greet/Belgium from the Belgian-Pearls-blog! :)

• These are stunning — so elegant. I love the combination of white, black and then a pop of strong pink with the flowers. It really works. And my oh my — black on the ceiling… I never would have even imagined that. But it works here. Thanks for sharing this link….I’m off to see what other goodies they have.
    -maria

• oooh, wonderful inspiration and some fun ideas to borrow. the tall mirror gives such a dramatic effect!

• I just love “Before and After” posts. They really make you appreciate the transformation that can happen through good design. I love the neutral palette with just touches of color.

Brooke

• All I can say is WOW! These are amazing transformations that truly inspire the design possibilities in all of our homes. I can feel your excitement in this post Monika, and it is totally contagious! :)

• Coco says:

This home is insanely beautiful. I mean, every little detail is absolutely gorgeous. Great post!

• Absolutely wonderful!

Amazing transformation!
    I too am very fond of the ‘before/after’ posts, and love Desire to Inspire. A blog fave of mine as well.

Great find Mon!

Kram C

• erika says:

OMG!!!!!! this transformation is INCREDIBLE!! this seriously makes me think that any space has hope! amazing!!

thank you for stopping by my blog…i’m so glad it has lead me to yours as i like it very much myself!!

have a great weekend!

• Mon..I totally love this article..so inspirational..THANKS for bringing light and taste into my day!

• Mon…i loved your thankyou note..I just love this sit/blog/your natural good taste for good things..so..here is a question..we are starting work in our bedroom on monday and want to put parquet floor and then a rug as you so wisely say..as there is so much on your site I can’t choose which combination of colours/styles..do you think the warmer wood parquet – as in this last picture..with the white carpet..or the darker wood in some of the other photos.. Our walls our yellow/gold wallpaper ..thanks in advance..but you are the expert in good taste..

• Annika says:

Love the before & after pics. Fun to see & gives loads of inspiration. Thanks sister! <3 Annika.